“Lovely location, okay meal”
Review of Fish Glenelg - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Fish Glenelg
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We had hoped this restaurant would deliver more. Disappointed in the past, it had been 2 years since we'd eaten here. Food was quite good, but could have been better. Kids meal was last to arrive. First two meals were finished before the other three arrived. Salad was plain and bland, fish was curling as it was too dry, chips chunky but needed to be crispier. Great location on a summer's evening but don't expect the meal to be anything to write home about.

1  Thank Serve_me_an_Ace

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were there on one of the first warm nights of the season and they were somewhat unprepared in terms of staffing. However the fish, when it came, was beautifully prepared. Good choice on the wine list as well as the menu.

2  Thank Gr_Taylor
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Dined here this evening and was very disappointed, have to say the Oysters Kilpatrick were the worst I have ever tasted, how any chef can serve Oysters swimming in BBQ Sauce & call these Kilpatrick is beyond me. The main meals were presentable. On the wine, we ordered a bottle of white Pinot Gris, not available, next Pinot Gris ordered from the wine list, not available, third choice finally was available hooray, why not remove these from the Wine List before presenting to diners? Not sure we would bother going back to this restaurant, there are many to choose along this strip and you don't have to settle for second best.

1  Thank Judith W
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We walked up and down the marina trying to decide where to eat and noticed how nearly all the places were full except for Fish which maybe had two couples dining. This is often a worrying sign as you ask yourself why is it so empty. But we like a challenge and don't follow the crowds so decide to take a seat.

Well we weren't disappointed, yes as previous reviews have suggested the young staff seemed to have minds else where (in fact after ordering our waitress just seemed to clock off!) but the fish was excellent and well cooked. Portion sizes are really good and prizes not overly expensive. Starting with mussels, prawns and a plate of dips with dukkah we were immediately impressed with the flavours and freshness.
For our mains the 3 of us who were dining had different fish as our mains and all were extremely impressed at the way they pieces had been cooked and again tasted fresh.

Glad we stopped and still cant understand why its was so empty. Id say try it you won't be dissappointed.

1  Thank zuzahandbear
Reviewed March 5, 2013

What a disappointing experience. The fish was quite good, but the service was incredibly, utterly bad. Avoid this place.

Our waitress (Sarah) was more interested in her tatts & piercings than her customers...perhaps she's unaware but fish don't have tatts or piercings!

The restaurant had one other couple when I arrived with my elderly parents and two kids at 1pm on a Tuesday (not excatly 'rush hour'). We asked for a particular place (which required tables to be joined) and she said "Sorry, I need to keep that space open in case I have a rush of customers' (seriously!). The music was so loud we had to ask it be turned down (Sarah seemed taken aback). Whilst serving my meal Sarah dropped some of my saald on the floor next to our table and there it stayed for over an hour until I cleaned it up... I won't bore you with more of the gruesome detail.

The meal cost $161 and based on the service and total experience would have constituted value if we'd been charged $16. My advice: just give this place a wide berth. Go to the Greek restaurant in the same strip.

2  Thank TomG1234