“Clean and tidy and perfectly located”

Ensenada Motor Inn and Suites
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Glenelg
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Clean and tidy and perfectly located”
Reviewed April 3, 2011

This was the last room available in town when my wife and I arrived in from Auckland on a Saturday afternoon except for a $400 room the Stamford which was more than we wanted to spend. The Best Western looks dated from the outside but with little other option we took the room ((at $180 per night). What a pleasent surprise. Small, but adequate for a couple. Recently done up, clean and tidy and we even had a peak of the sea. Perfectly located; about 100m to the beach and a similar difference to the main shopping street with all the restaurants. Very welcoming and homely and would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark1811027

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Kimbolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2011

The Hotel is well placed near Sea and Restaurents and attractions. Rooms are good sized,clean with good bathroom.
The front desk and there friendley welcome is a plus

Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank tomsBeds
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 17, 2011

The name speaks for it self.."Best " The friendly & helpful service at the front desk is a credit to the organization & facility. My responsibilities , currently requires extensive travel around Australia , & this facility , I 'd recommend highly.
The room was perfect, clean, & laid out in a very inviting manner, & was a pleasure to come back to after a day in the office & associated meetings
This is my second visit & the standards that are expected , are certainly achieved & maintained.
The bed was comfortable, the other incidentals were also well maintained & available.
This motel is set in the beautiful suburb of Glenelg & close to all shopping experiences you could imagine, not to mention the glorious beach front.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Mildura, Australia
Reviewed February 6, 2011

We booked this hotel at the last minute, in a rush, using wotif on a very poor internet connection, as it was the only hotel that had availability for the 3 nights of our stay. They only had a double room, but made the booking with a note that we had 2 young children with us but would not need extra bedding if it was not available.

When we reached the hotel, Carol on the front desk, could not have made us feel more uncomfortable about our "crime" of booking a double room and turning up with 2 kids. My wife tried to diffuse the situation by saying that we had an inflatable mattress and were happy to use this and any exsisting bedding so not to inconvienience her. This was still not good enough for Carol, who tried to tell us that this was impossible as the room was not big enough, but after I turned to my 8 year old and told him that he may be sleeping in the car, Carol agreed to go check with the manager to see if our booking could be accommadated.

When she returned, she continued to treat us like "naughty little children", but said that the manager had decided to allow her to use honor our booking, but there would be no extra towels or toiletries available to us in our $200 per night room. This didn't really concern us as we had beach towels, but she decided to add to our dressing down by saying "I am aware that you have a bycycle" (I had been riding on our short break while Kerry acted as support crew from location to location) "and under no circumstance will we be allowed to bring it into our room". It was not really my intention to do so, but the terse way that she spoke to me had me very close to flying off the handle.

If there had been an option, we would have left at this point, but I kept my cool and returned to the car to dismantle my bike and get our luggage. As I was walking out, there was another lady asking to check in who was told that she would have to wait as Carol would :"HAVE TO" show us to our room!!

When I completed the task of lugging 2 cases and assorted extras up two very steep flights of stairs, unassisted, Carol had left, but I was told by Kerry and the kids that she had been just as rude and sarcastic whilst giving them a list of rules to adhere to during our stay. Pety things like not backing our car into a car park or not taking the kettle from the prescribed coffee making area and placing it onto the glass topped bench. Her parting remark to them to say "and that is not a bed" whilst pointing to the small leather 2 seater.

This hotel is in a very good location, minutes walk from all the shops and restaraunts on Jetty road and across the road from the beach (no ocean views) , so it would seem that they have decided to trade on this rather than any level of service.

The rooms have recently been updated and are reasonable kept but are very small for the price, the walls are thin and you can clearly hear everything from the road in front of the hotel, even though our room was on the side of the building, away from the street. Everywhere you look are signs asking you not to do this, but do that, so there seems very little intention to make guests feel comfortable. Next time we will spend a little more and stay at the Stamford or alot less and go for an apartment a few streets back from the beach.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank shanek0
, Owner at Ensenada Motor Inn and Suites, responded to this review, February 10, 2011
Dear Family,

Let me start by thanking you for completing the Trip Advisor Guest Survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

I apologise for not exceeding your expectations. We strive to ensure each and every guest experience is satisfying.

Unfortunately, the problem arose from you using a 3rd party website and booking a Queen Bed room. This room will only accommodate 2 persons. No note appeared in the comments box advising us that you were travelling with 2 children. We were fully booked and were not able to offer you a Family Size room on arrival.

I apologise for the abrupt reception you received upon arrival. Please know that we are taking your feedback to heart and focusing on improving. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Again, I apologise for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 08 82945822.

Robin McBride
Manager
Best Western Ensenada Motor Inn
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 20, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this Best Western in a double room recently and we had a wonderful experience. It's 5 minutes from the airport and very convenient for arriving on a late flight, like we did. All their rooms have just been renovated. The rooms are lovely, good size, comfortable bed, good quality furniture, very clean and only one block from Glenelg Beach therefore in the centre of town. The hotel is located opposite a park and does not have a sea view. I don't like to sleep with the air-conditioning on and therefore being able to have the windows open was a big plus. I highly recommend staying here if you can't afford the high price tag of The Grand and don't require a swimming pool. The hotel exceeded our expectations. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sweetnessoflife
Oregon
Reviewed March 14, 2010

We traveled to Glenelg from the US, so we relied heavily on the hotel's description at the Best Western internet site. The web site claimed that the hotel "overlooks" the beach. Well, that is simply not the case. It overlooks a trendy area which is close to the beach, but you do not see the beach. Secondly, the BW web site rates this hotel as a four star. I would say not, at least not in US standards. Upon my return to the good ole US of A, I asked BW for a definition of the 4 star rating for this particular hotel. They said that the rating was issued by the Australian Accomodation Association, an association which I could not find on the web... nor could BW when I pressed them. So the rating criteria is a bit of a mystery. In my view, I would rate the hotel at a 2.5 star. The rooms are clean, but very small. And there is no elevator!!!! So after a few trips with luggage up the narrow stairs, you will wish you had stayed elsewhere. No restaurant. The Glenelg area is neat, and the Ensenada is close to some trendy restaurants, etc. But there are other alternatives. And BTW... no bargain either. Rate was spendy for what you received. A not-so-great value. There are essentially no services at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank raas911
frankston
Reviewed February 20, 2010

unfriendly staff at reception. bed shoved behind door so every time you opened door it hit bed. shower was dreadful.no hot water and no water pressure. toilet had no seal on seat. bed made-up during stay but bedspread left on floor. no allocated parking. first in best parking. don't stay out late no parking when you get back to motel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple