“NOT ALL GRAND AT GLENELG !!!”

Stamford Grand Adelaide
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Glenelg
Brisbane
“NOT ALL GRAND AT GLENELG !!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

My husband and I had a corner sea view room on the 12th floor. although the four night stay was comfortable, the over- all condition of the hotel is showing its age. The furniture is somewhat dated , there is a lot of painting needed. The best feature of the hotel is its location, to the beach front and to the near by shops . I love the foyer and the grand staircase .

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the beach or Moseley Square .
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Susy1Brisbane

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We pride ourselves on our stunning, absolute beachfront position and I am delighted to learn that your stay with us was enjoyable.

You will be pleased to note that we are planning for a refurbishment with stage one of this process now complete we are underway on stage two.

Thank you again for your comments, they are appreciated, and we look forward to welcoming you back some time soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

I stayed in this hotel one night with my family in July 2014. Hotels has this Grand , old appearance and situated facing the lovely Glenelg beach. You can walk across to the beach and to the pier and watch planes descending to the Adelaide airport from your room if you get a seaview room.

Receptionist was good and it was a smooth check in. Rooms and carpets look a bit old and tired. Shower over bath may not be the best soecially if you are old and got bad knees etc. No issues with cleanliness,

We did not eat from the hotel since a short walk leads to the square with a lot of eating out options, Car parking could cost you 20-25 AUD per day.

Overall it was a nice stay, mostly contributed by the Glenelg beach.

Room Tip: Magnificient sea views for a little bit extra
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear amu2

You will be pleased to note that we are planning for a refurbishment of various areas of the hotel including our guest rooms in the near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

It seems petty to criticise a good hotel for its light switches, but despite previous alerts nothing has happened.
Maybe it's just the rooms we are allotted, but we have found that all lights, apart from the vestibule light, are operated by switches on one side of the bed. And you cannot have one reading light on and the other off. My wife wants to read, I want to sleep? Sorry, I have to have my reading light on.
I daresay the management will respond with the usual "We are constantly upgrading (renovating etc) our rooms" but after years of encountering this one problem that no longer impresses.
Would we stay there again? Yes -- an easy run into the city, Jetty Road is fun, the beach is right there. But we do wish they would rewire their lights.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Swaggie

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

I appreciate your comments and have taken these on board and are in the process of reviewing what our options are.

Vienna, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

After reading some reviews I was a little apprehensive about booking this hotel, but did so anyway because of the location for our business needs. I am so very happy that we booked the Stamford! Our room was clean, nicely appointed, and large ( ocean view w/ balcony). The view was spectacular. Every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful. The location wa great for leisurely beach walks, restaurants, and shopping.

1 Thank JAR59
Dear JAR59

We look forward to your next stay

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

We stay at the Stamford Grand every time we are in Adelaide. The rooms are slightly dated but always clean and comfortable. The best part of this hotel is the location and views. On one side you have ocean views and city views on the other side both views are great.

You are also walking distance to some great restaurants and the tram which you can take in to the city.

The service at the hotel has always been very professional and check in and out is always quick.

If you like coastal locations, long walks along the beach and jetty this is a great Adelaide / Glenelg location to stay.

Stayed June 2014
Dear Jeff M

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We pride ourselves on our great location with rooms overlooking both the ocean and the Adelaide Hills.

We look forward to your next stay

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

The check in service was reasonably fast, The self parking car park is a 20 second walk from the hotel. There is only $5 dollars difference between self park and valet parking per day so it does make the self parking seem expensive. The room I had on the 7th floor was large enough with a desk, couch and a small dining table with two chairs. The room was very clean and well appointed. The bed was large and very comfortable with a medium to soft mattress. The hairdryer was a brand name but had seen better days with limited airflow and the nozzle had gone missing.
The only issue I had with the Stamford was with finding value or flavor in the two meals i had at the hotel. The first meal, a $30.00 Linguine Seafood Marinara whilst it had a reasonable amount of prawns fish and calamari it did not have any flavor in the Spicy tomato sauce that was i felt an very important part of the meal.. Maybe i was supposed to squeeze the supplied tomato sauce sachet to obtain flavor. The second meal was a $28.00 chicken schnitzel with Mash and a Mushroom sauce. The mushroom sauce was tasty but the crumbed chicken was very ordinary to say the least.

Dear Adrian M

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

While I am pleased you enjoyed our guests rooms I am disappointed to learn of your dining experience. I thank you for bringing this to our attention and I would like to assure you that your concern raised has been taken on board and addressed with my Food & Beverage Director.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

I've previously given the Stamford Grand a review with a 4 star rating, but wanted to upgrade it on the basis of a small improvement to service and the consistently excellent stays I've had here.

I've been staying here once or twice a month this year - it's my business hotel of choice in Adelaide - and there is a strong consistency to the experience. They've also started taking room service orders directly via reception, which means immediate responsiveness and only one call (rather than the call back).

This hotel is always comfortable, friendly and responsive. I definitely aim for an ocean view room if possible as the rooms seem a little bigger and brighter. The Stamford is great for sole travellers as it has a warm ambience. This goes from the soft, comfy furnishings to the warm lighting and the happy, friendly staff who respond quickly to any requests. The room service deliveries are always top notch, too. Well cooked, fresh, good portion sizes and delicious! The amenities (tea & coffee, toiletries) are handy. The concierge is usually ready to open the door for you, give you a hand with your luggage, lend you an umbrella or hail a taxi. I really look forward to my stays here and it's a bit of a 'home away from home' for me. It's difficult to find a hotel with real warmth, professionalism and good aesthetics at a reasonable price, but this hotel manages it so well.

I have three suggestions for other travellers:

Definitely go for an ocean view room - I find the city view rooms a touch depressing in comparison. They often have good specials on their website.

If you're tossing up between the Stamford and the Oaks next door, the Oaks has larger rooms and a kitchenette but the furnishings are pretty hard and you have to byo ambience. There is no real service to speak of. This might be a good choice if you're staying with your family. The Stamford is smaller, prettier and more comfy, with service at every corner and a better choice if you are staying alone or as a couple, and can benefit from the time and space-saving amenities supplied.

Thirdly - check your kettle before using. I always rinse any room kettle out before using, and once I had some silt and sediment in it. I rang and they brought me up a new one immediately and apologised.

My only suggestion for the hotel would be to improve the instructions for the air conditioner. The operation panel is a little confusing at first visit until you trial and error your way through, and one of the other guests at my last stay was concerned by its volume...they didn't realise you could turn the fan onto low. Please thank the staff for being so consistently welcoming, terrific and kind.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are prettier and lighter. They also seem a bit bigger - is it just my imagination?
1 Thank karasch
Dear Karasch

I appreciate you taking the time to leave this feedback, I am thrilled to know that you had a wonderful and enjoyable stay at our hotel and we appreciate your positive comments regarding all facets of your visit.

I will certainly take the air-conditioning suggestion into consideration.

It is rewarding to learn that our staff delivered on service during your stay and I will be sure to share your positive feedback with the team.

We hope your memorable experience with us will continue to bring you back to the Stamford Grand Adelaide.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenelg
Oaks Plaza Pier Apartment Hotel
Stamford Plaza Adelaide
#12 of 57 in Adelaide
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,012 reviews
The Playford - MGallery by Sofitel

Been to Stamford Grand Adelaide? Share your experiences!