“Awesome Location”

Stamford Grand Adelaide
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Glenelg
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Great location on the beach front of Glenelg. We had a room with a balcony that faced the ocean, view was great in any kind of weather. Close to all the shops in Jetty road and the tram stops just outside the door making it convenient to head into the city without the hassles of traffic and parking. A lovely stroll along the promenade taking in the sights of Glenelg is a must. Food was nice at the Promenade restaurant and staff were very polite and service was great. Onsite Bar and cocktail bar was great for pre dinner drinks and late night revelling. King bed was comfortable and room spacious. Room becoming a little tired and dated but comfortable and convenient. Recommend a stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank aussiefriend2
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Aussiefriend2

Thank you for choosing the Stamford Grand Adelaide, we appreciate your comments and feedback from your recent stay with us. Gathering your honest comments will help us continue to strive to provide service excellence and a memorable experience.

I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed the stunning sea view as much as we do. We are lucky enough to be situated on absolute beachfront whilst having panoramic views of the Beach, Hills and City. You will also be pleased to know that we are in the final stages of planning a refurbishment of our guest rooms and we expect works to commence within the last quarter of this year.

Thank you again for your feedback and I trust that we may look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Stamford Grand Adelaide in the future.

Kind Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (2,902)

Reviewed July 24, 2013

The location is superb. Right on the beautiful beachfront at Glenelg. The sea views on one side and the city views on the other. During the winter months, the city view rooms will be the best. During summer definitely the seaside rooms. The amenities are great and the room we stayed in 1117 was super. Large room, large bed, beautifully appointed bathroom and a small balcony to view the area from if it's not too cool.
Unfortunately our stay was let down by the restaurants. At night time we ate in the Grand Bar. The Grand bar was unfortunately, anything but grand. Small upstairs area with a few regular tables and VERY bad lighting and the downstairs area with high tables and stools to sit uncomfortably on. Food though was very nice.
Breakfast in the morning was also a letdown. Nice area overlooking the beachfront but the hot food, buffet style, although plentiful was on the cool to cold side. My coffee was not much better.
One other gripe was that when the person next door took a shower at 6.15 am I had to close our bathroom door to cut the shower noise down to an acceptable level. Thicker walls needed?
Even with these two gripes I would definitely recommend a stay there but eat outside at the many lovely cafes and restaurants in the Glenelg area.

Room Tip: Choose the city (East) side during the winter months. May through Sept. City views from 11th floor...
2  Thank Bulldogs4Premiers
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Bulldogs4Premiers
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay overall, particularly your room with its views over the surrounding area, city and up to the hills. We have just replaced all of the beds in our guest rooms and we are in the process of building a sample room prior to starting our refurbishment so there are exciting times ahead. I was disappointed to read that your dining experiences did not meet your expectations in this instance but would encourage you to give our outlets another go on your next stay. The seafood buffet in the main restaurant every Saturday night is very popular with in house guests and locals alike. Thanks again for your time and we look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed 2 nights with my husband at start of our holiday. Stayed on top floor (12th), had a beautiful ocean view, spacious room well equipped with usual hotel room items. Beds were very comfy, room was quiet, curtains kept light out. Bathroom had small bath (shower over). Bathroom was dated but very clean and good size. Room showed some minor signs of age, but well maintained. Restaurant was good quality food at reasonable price, staff very helpful and friendly. Gym well equipped. Pool looked good (too cold to try it) Spa looked good but didn't work. (Team working on it when we left.) In my opinion it is best location in Adelaide. (20 minute tram to city, on the beach, central to Jetty Rd restaurant/cafe precinct.

Room Tip: Ocean View is spectacular. Shop around for specials.
2  Thank LindaBridgetownWA

Dear Linda
Thanks for posting your review following your recent stay. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and found the staff to be helpful and friendly. We do enjoy some wonderful views being located right on the foreshore. We are currently building a sample room in preparation for a full refurbishment of this iconic Adelaide property so I do hope you’ll come and stay again when you’re next in Adelaide.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We spent a weekend at this Hotel using their "Winter Warmer" offer. We had a City View room on the 11th floor with a balcony. The view is superb.
The location is unsurpassed and perhaps this is why they charge so much for a room.
The room we had desperately needs an update, everything was tired looking and worn. The hand towel rail in the bathroom was about to fall off, terrible paint job around the toilet, and the shower is over the bath with a shower curtain. The "couch" we had had holes in it and looked like it had been there since the 1980's.
That being said the room was very clean and the bed comfortable. The staff were excellent and helpful.
We had the Buffet breakfast which was included in the package. I am not a fan of buffet breakfasts as the hot food is more like warm food and the patrons tend to be pushy and piling up their plates like it is their last meal on Earth. My husband got served a tepid cup of coffee. I don't know why you would pay the full price for this when you can get a fully cooked breakfast served to you HOT at a lot of places on Jetty Road for cheaper. Again I guess it is location and view.
The car parking was included in the price, so I don't know how expensive it normally would be. It's a multi story car park across the road from the Hotel. Our card wouldn't work for us to get out so I had to do a mad dash to reception to get the card re-coded. To bad if anyone was behind us waiting to leave the car park!
All in all a nice hotel, but if you are looking for 5 star, I think you would be disappointed.

3  Thank robandden6562

Dear Denise1002
We appreciate your having taken the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I was pleased you found our staff excellent and that you were able to take advantage of our Winter Warmer promotion which offers great value for money. You will be pleased to note that we are about to undertake a complete refurbishment of the hotel including all guest rooms and public areas. We have just replaced all the beds in our guest rooms with pillow top Australian made ensembles and work is already underway on our ‘prototype room’ in preparation for the room renovations. These are exciting times and I do hope we can welcome you back to the Stamford Grand in the near future.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Very few hotels could match the ambience and feel of being right on Glenelg beach. This was my 4th visit for and I really look forward to returning. If 5 star luxury is your thing, you probably will be disappointed but the general standard is still fairly high. As noted by other reviewers it is not cutting-edge modern has a solid feel. Bathroom is good, bed a little hard for my liking and I couldn't get the pillow right but if the are some niggles (and every hotel has some) all you have to do is walk out the back door to the promenade along the beach and they quickly fade away.

Staff are very good, professional and good humoured on the front desk. Our company had to cancel planned meetings and accommodation at the stamford back in March and they allowed us to postpone until July although not strictly bound to do so. The meeting/conference rooms on the first floor open onto a verandah overlooking the beach around the building to Jetty Road- fantastic for meeting breaks and to freshen up mentally.

The breakfast spread is pretty good but I baulk at paying $25-30 for breakfast no matter how good it is. I don't NEED a breakfast that good but you pay that much even if you just want a bit of cereal, fruit and yoghurt and a cup of tea or coffee. My whinge about this applies to many hotels so the Stàmford is not unique here. If I have time I usually find a nearby cafe where B&E on toast with coffee can be had for 15 bucks or so.

There are so many fantastic restaurants up at Holdfast Bay (a mini-Darling Harbour but with class) that I haven't actually eaten at the restaurant so can't comment on that. Overall plenty of major positives and on a few negatives. The worst thing that happened was Agar getting out for 99! Deserved a century.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank EllvisPresley

Dear EllvisPresley
Thanks so much for posting your comprehensive and even entertaining review following your most recent business trip to Adelaide. I, too, wish Agar had managed a century! I was delighted to read that you’ve enjoyed all of your stays and that you’ve been able to take advantage of our idyllic location with walks along the beach to clear your head. You will be pleased to hear that we’ve just replaced all the beds in our guest rooms and we’re about to commence a full refurbishment so there will be even more reason for you to return either for business or for pleasure. We look forward to welcoming you when you return.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Some places stay popular because of location alone. This is one of them. Whilst the staff are OUTSTANDING in their service, the parking is expensive and not included in the room rate, the internet is the same, and is an OUTRIGHT RIP OFF. The room has the 2 star card system for power, and there is a back packer style noticeboard in my room promoting hotel services VERY TACKY. The room furniture has had a cheap makeover that looks ...well....cheap, wood is decaying. TV doesn't work. LOOK AROUND BEFORE YOU STAY HERE.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel !!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank JalanJalan69

Dear JalanJalan69
I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your business trip with us earlier this month as you found the room you were allocated to be unsatisfactory. I’m sure you will be pleased to know that we replaced all the beds in our guest rooms in the last two weeks and that we are about to undertake a full refurbishment of our guest rooms so, should you grant us the opportunity to host you again, I’m sure you’ll see a significant difference. I was pleased to read that you found our staff to be outstanding, which is very encouraging as often exceptional service makes the difference between a good stay and a bad one. I do hope you’ll give us another chance to host you next time you’re in Adelaide.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights on a work trip. Stayed in a ocean view room with balcony on a high floor (?10th) and would highly recommend having a balcony as the views were lovely.

This hotel is quite tired as many reviews have noted but maybe that adds to its charm? The room was a little dated (which is fine as hotels can't be expected t update every year!) although still having cork boards in the room is pretty dated! Despite previous comments on the service, I was very impressed, the staff were attentive and very friendly. Had breakfast in the hotel which was included in the rate and was very nice (not sure how much this costs seperately but probably wouldn't pay for it as an extra).

Great location being on the beach. The Glenelg area has a "mini gold-coast" feel to it especially the restaurants and shops which personally hate.

Overall - great service and nice views from the Ocean view rooms, albeit a little tired.

Room Tip: Ocean view room definitely
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank JKNZ
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear JKNZ

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent business trip. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the staff to be attentive and friendly. We do have wonderful views here at the Stamford Grand. Many people choose the ocean views but the city views are spectacular at night. I trust we can look forward to welcoming you back next time you’re in Adelaide.

Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenelg
Oaks Plaza Pier Apartment Hotel
Hilton Adelaide
Hilton Adelaide
#18 of 55 in Adelaide
The Playford - MGallery by Sofitel

Been to Stamford Grand Adelaide? Share your experiences!