“Great location, a little pricey & room service was average” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stamford Grand Adelaide

Stamford Grand Adelaide
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Glenelg
Cairns
“Great location, a little pricey & room service was average”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a night & had a $100 food & beverage credit as part of the package unfortunately restaurant was booked out which was disappointing, so we ordered the room service which was very average.......the gravy was terrible! Location is fantastic, ask for a sea view deluxe room with balcony. Full buffet breakfast was good.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Joskie
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Joskie

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the view from your ocean side room and you were able to take in the sea air from the balcony. Our Promenade Restaurant is very popular with both locals and in-house guests alike, particularly on a Saturday night when we put on our seafood buffet, so I apologise that the restaurant was fully booked on the night of your stay. Perhaps next time you’re in Adelaide you can stay again and book ahead for the restaurant as it really is worth a visit.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Another good Adelaide airport pit stop, getting dated but plenty of life left in her. Lots of great resteraunts close buy for tea, the breakfast packages are worth the little extra.
Worked out to be easier than going into town for a airport stopover, and just as scenic with the marina and shopping around.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear rb30dett

Thank you for posting your review following your stay with us last year. You will be pleased to note that we are about to embark on a major refurbishment of our guest rooms and public areas. I’m glad you got to enjoy our full buffet breakfast during your stopover and I hope we can look forward to seeing you again next time you’re in Australia.

Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

I recently booked a room online through the hotel's website as a wedding gift for a relative, giving instructions that the accommodation was to be charged to my credit card. The online booking was confirmed via email. The day after I booked, I amended the booking via telephone to add an extra night to make a total of two nights. The girl on the phone confirmed this was fine. The night before my relative and his new wife were due to check-out, he checked their room account and was shocked to see that the accommodation had been put on his account. He questioned this with the staff and was told that they couldn't use the credit card details of a third party without written confirmation from the card holder (myself).

I emailed the hotel at 11.45pm the night before checkout, to provide authority to use the details as provided on the online booking form. In the morning I telephoned the hotel to confirm receipt of my email, only to be told that the email address I used was not monitored on weekends. I was given an alternative email address and forwarded my previous email to this instead, thinking this would be the last I heard of it.

I then received a reply to my email with an authority form attached requesting that I complete this form and provide copies of both my credit card (front and back) and photo ID. Whilst annoyed that this was required, I complied and sent back the completed form and requested copies via a scanned email attachment.

I then received another email saying there was a problem with the file, and that it couldn't be accepted as it wasn't scanned through Adobe. I again protested as to why they couldn't (a) accept the credit card details as provided on the online booking form, or (b) take my email AND now telephone instruction as authority to use my card to pay the account.

I was told that I either had to wait until the hotel help desk could verify my file on the following Monday or I would need to present in person and finalise the account.

I ended up having to drop everything to drive to the hotel and sort out the account, but not with the person that I had been talking to on the phone as she "wasn't available".

It seems ridiculous to me that you are asked to provide credit card details when making the booking online, but this card cannot be used to pay the account of a third party. Maybe you should be able to check a box to authorise use of the card, same as purchasing a gift certificate from the same website?

In any case, I was not impressed with the attitude of the desk staff when I finally arrived there in order for my relative to be able to check out. NOT GOOD, staff of the Grand. I certainly will not be staying or recommend the hotel to anyone I know. Shame really, because apparently the room and food were great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank km005005
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in April for our 10th anniversary whilst visiting family in S.A. Great reception and concierge service. We had ocean views and it was worth it. Nice clean room comfy big bed. Only downfall is the bathroom needs renovating. I hate a shower in the bath and it was slippery as no bath non slip mats. Great location with beautiful walks along the beach.

Room Tip: Ocean view for sure.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JenandGazza

Thank you for posting your review following your stay with us last month for your 10th wedding anniversary. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff to be both pleasant and helpful. You will be pleased to note that we are about to start work on a major refurbishment which will include our guest rooms and public areas and most of the guest room bathrooms will have the bath removed and a walk in shower in its place. We will retain some baths for families travelling with small children and also retain spa baths in our suites. Congratulations on your milestone anniversary and I trust we can look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stayed there for a birthday party get away. Rooms are rather standard for the price, but can't beat the location and the view.

Really good restaurant, love cocktail lounge.

The only complain is the non stop noise from a large night club.

But other than that, would recommend this place for anyone who wants to have a beach side view and wants a bit of night life as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Fran M

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us at the end of last year. I was pleased to read that you took advantage of our great location, lovely restaurant and popular cocktail lounge. Our upcoming refurbishment will include our guest rooms and this will further enhance our already iconic hotel. I do hope we can look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Launceston, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel at Glenelg was great - good location, clean and well appointed room (ocean view), lovely staff. The pool was excellent, but cold. Check out the temperature if you are booking for the pool - even the kids shivered.

Room Tip: Depends on the view you want - ocean during the day is fabulous but at night the city lights are equ...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Anthea

Thank you for posting your review following your stay with us. I was pleased you enjoyed your stay and found our staff particularly helpful. I trust we can look forward to hosting you and your family again next time you’re in Adelaide.

Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

The hotel need some TLC. The bed was very soft, sheets had holes in them and clearly needed to be thrown out and pillows not plush. Rooms are fine but nothing special.
Location - right on beach but grange or Henley beach is much nicer than glenelg

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank becpaus
Dear becpaus

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay. You will be pleased to note that we are about to undertake a full refurbishment of all our guest rooms including the replacement of all beds and furnishings. As you mentioned, we enjoy a wonderful location right on the foreshore at Glenelg which also means we have great views over the city and ocean. Thanks again for your time and I look forward to hearing what you think of our rooms following the renovation.

Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenelg
Oaks Plaza Pier Apartment Hotel
Stamford Plaza Adelaide
#13 of 58 in Adelaide
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,939 reviews
The Playford - MGallery by Sofitel

Been to Stamford Grand Adelaide? Share your experiences!