“Customer Service - less than average”

Stamford Grand Adelaide
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Glenelg
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I recently booked a room online through the hotel's website as a wedding gift for a relative, giving instructions that the accommodation was to be charged to my credit card. The online booking was confirmed via email. The day after I booked, I amended the booking via telephone to add an extra night to make a total of two nights. The girl on the phone confirmed this was fine. The night before my relative and his new wife were due to check-out, he checked their room account and was shocked to see that the accommodation had been put on his account. He questioned this with the staff and was told that they couldn't use the credit card details of a third party without written confirmation from the card holder (myself).

I emailed the hotel at 11.45pm the night before checkout, to provide authority to use the details as provided on the online booking form. In the morning I telephoned the hotel to confirm receipt of my email, only to be told that the email address I used was not monitored on weekends. I was given an alternative email address and forwarded my previous email to this instead, thinking this would be the last I heard of it.

I then received a reply to my email with an authority form attached requesting that I complete this form and provide copies of both my credit card (front and back) and photo ID. Whilst annoyed that this was required, I complied and sent back the completed form and requested copies via a scanned email attachment.

I then received another email saying there was a problem with the file, and that it couldn't be accepted as it wasn't scanned through Adobe. I again protested as to why they couldn't (a) accept the credit card details as provided on the online booking form, or (b) take my email AND now telephone instruction as authority to use my card to pay the account.

I was told that I either had to wait until the hotel help desk could verify my file on the following Monday or I would need to present in person and finalise the account.

I ended up having to drop everything to drive to the hotel and sort out the account, but not with the person that I had been talking to on the phone as she "wasn't available".

It seems ridiculous to me that you are asked to provide credit card details when making the booking online, but this card cannot be used to pay the account of a third party. Maybe you should be able to check a box to authorise use of the card, same as purchasing a gift certificate from the same website?

In any case, I was not impressed with the attitude of the desk staff when I finally arrived there in order for my relative to be able to check out. NOT GOOD, staff of the Grand. I certainly will not be staying or recommend the hotel to anyone I know. Shame really, because apparently the room and food were great.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank km005005

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in April for our 10th anniversary whilst visiting family in S.A. Great reception and concierge service. We had ocean views and it was worth it. Nice clean room comfy big bed. Only downfall is the bathroom needs renovating. I hate a shower in the bath and it was slippery as no bath non slip mats. Great location with beautiful walks along the beach.

Room Tip: Ocean view for sure.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear JenandGazza

Thank you for posting your review following your stay with us last month for your 10th wedding anniversary. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff to be both pleasant and helpful. You will be pleased to note that we are about to start work on a major refurbishment which will include our guest rooms and public areas and most of the guest room bathrooms will have the bath removed and a walk in shower in its place. We will retain some baths for families travelling with small children and also retain spa baths in our suites. Congratulations on your milestone anniversary and I trust we can look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stayed there for a birthday party get away. Rooms are rather standard for the price, but can't beat the location and the view.

Really good restaurant, love cocktail lounge.

The only complain is the non stop noise from a large night club.

But other than that, would recommend this place for anyone who wants to have a beach side view and wants a bit of night life as well.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Fran M

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us at the end of last year. I was pleased to read that you took advantage of our great location, lovely restaurant and popular cocktail lounge. Our upcoming refurbishment will include our guest rooms and this will further enhance our already iconic hotel. I do hope we can look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel at Glenelg was great - good location, clean and well appointed room (ocean view), lovely staff. The pool was excellent, but cold. Check out the temperature if you are booking for the pool - even the kids shivered.

Room Tip: Depends on the view you want - ocean during the day is fabulous but at night the city lights are equ...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Anthea

Thank you for posting your review following your stay with us. I was pleased you enjoyed your stay and found our staff particularly helpful. I trust we can look forward to hosting you and your family again next time you’re in Adelaide.

Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

The hotel need some TLC. The bed was very soft, sheets had holes in them and clearly needed to be thrown out and pillows not plush. Rooms are fine but nothing special.
Location - right on beach but grange or Henley beach is much nicer than glenelg

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank becpaus

Dear becpaus

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay. You will be pleased to note that we are about to undertake a full refurbishment of all our guest rooms including the replacement of all beds and furnishings. As you mentioned, we enjoy a wonderful location right on the foreshore at Glenelg which also means we have great views over the city and ocean. Thanks again for your time and I look forward to hearing what you think of our rooms following the renovation.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We would stay here again in a heartbeat. Reception and Concierge staff very helpful, provided us terrific advice for touring around Adelaide, the Hills and the Barossa Valley. Our room was superb and the view out to sea we will never forget. Can't wait to return to this terrific hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tracey W

Dear Tracey

Thank you for your kind words following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and that my capable team was able to assist with your sightseeing plans. We do enjoy a wonderful location in the heart of Adelaide’s premier beachside suburb and the choice between city and ocean views is a difficult one. I’m very pleased we can look forward to welcoming you back to the Stamford Grand Adelaide in the near future.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Good comfortable hotel in the beautiful beachside suburb of Glenelg in South Australia.
Shops within easy two minute walk, beach frontage at the doorstep and all with nice facilities within the hotel.
Transport to the city of Adelaide provided by the tram located two minutes away.
Great restaurants within easy walking distance.

Room Tip: May be worth paying a bit extra for the beach view
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ranch100

Dear ranch100

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of our great location. I trust we can look forward to welcoming you back to the Stamford Grand Adelaide next time you’re in South Australia.

Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenelg
Oaks Plaza Pier Apartment Hotel
Stamford Plaza Adelaide
#15 of 56 in Adelaide
Ensenada Motor Inn and Suites
The Playford - MGallery by Sofitel

Been to Stamford Grand Adelaide? Share your experiences!