“There are better places by the beach” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stamford Grand Adelaide

Stamford Grand Adelaide
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Glenelg
adelaide
“There are better places by the beach”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

I always find it strange that you would work in hostipality or at a front desk of a hotel if you didn't like people, however people do. The woman at the front desk ignored the 3 people waiting to check in and then when she did serve us it was with eye rolls and deep sighs ..... Then when my card didn't work that seemed to be inconvienient as well ...... I would have said for me. ... However more so for her !!!
The rooms are dated, grubby and just aren't worth what we paid for it
It is in a sensational location though, on the beach front, top of jetty road, have facilities but there are plenty of better places to eat on the marina or up jetty road. If you could get a cheap last minute deal it would be worth it
Oh the card didn't work again, however this time the duty manager helped me and couldn't have been better, fixed the problem and even made sure it worked in the lift. ... If only he was my first impression .... However it wouldn't have fixed the state of the room unfortunately ... But better in any case

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear whatithink2010

Thank you for taking the time to post your candid review following your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the less than professional manner in which your check in was handled. I would be very grateful if you would contact my Front Office Manager, Stuart Riddell, via the hotel’s switchboard so that we can discuss this in more detail with you, as our guests’ experience with us is of paramount importance. I was pleased to read that the Duty Manager left a far better impression with regards to customer service. You will be pleased to note that we are about to commence a full refurbishment of our guest rooms and public areas with work to begin very soon. Thank you again for your time and I trust we can look forward to welcoming you back to the Stamford Grand Adelaide in the future.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
South Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

We booked the Stamford due to its location and 1 night availability. Location was perfect - we nipped through the foyer and straight to the beach for a swim. Jetty road was just out the door for shopping and eating (we had take away yiros for dinner - found opposite the hotel, which was delicious and dined on the lawn in front of the hotel and watched the sun set. Yiros was a little pricey & we received average customer service - something we found in most stores on Jetty Road).

The hotel is lovely, quiet and we received great customer service from check in and the concierge team, who suggested dining options and stored my icecream in the freezer till we needed it that night - thanks! City views from our room were great and the room had a nice, clean feel. Carparking is just outside the hotel - $15 per 24 hours if you do it yourself or $30 for concierge to do it for you.

Yes, the rooms are looking tired, with new paint needed, new tiling and a new couch and mini bar fridge required. Information folder was also old and worn and the tacky pin up board in the room could be exchanged for some classy art work. But this could be over looked if the below would be attended to.

What we didn't enjoy was the old, unsupportive king bed which gave us an uncomfortable nights sleep. The airconditioning also needs upgrading with the fan so loud, even on low, I found it hard to get to sleep. The temperature was set to 18 degrees, but it felt like 25 degrees. Not much fun for a 6.5 month pregnant girl who wanted a cool room!

Providing improvements are made, we would return, given its location and lovely staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kandtsa
Dear kandtsa

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay overall and that you are considering a return. You will be pleased to note that we are about to commence a full refurbishment of the property including replacement of all the beds when we renovate the guest rooms. I was delighted to read that you were able to take advantage of our great location in the heart of beachside Glenelg and look forward to hosting you again soon.

Bridgwater, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Booked a room with city view , however was given room 504 , overlooking beach and jetty.

Room recently refurbished , lovely decor , kids enjoyed the room too , very clean and they enjoyed the pool

Would stay again

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank oakapplegal
Dear oakapplegal

Thank you for posting your review following your stay with us in February. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed yourselves and, whilst you’re a long way away, I trust we can look forward to welcoming you back to the Stamford Grand Adelaide next time you’re in the country.

Haslemere
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

Unlike some earlier reviews our experience was good and the sea view room on the 10th floor appeared to have been redecorated (albeit good decorators must be hard to come by in this area!), with a good carpet and everything clean. Location right on the beach is perfect with great sunsets directly out to sea.
Hotel seemed pricey, but our visit coincided with a major city event (Clipsal) and the hotel took advantage. Slightly annoyingly, despite a top end charge there was still a ridiculously overpriced fee ($25 a day!) for internet - Mcdonalds and another coffee shop next to it provide low speed free wifi, so i recommend you avoid paying for wifi here.
Glenelg is lively with some good restaurants, but quietened outside each evening by 11:00.

Room Tip: Based on seeing some earlier negative reviews request a room that has been renovated and if possible...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Pete_Gill_Haslemere

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay during Clipsal earlier this month. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay overall and took advantage of our fabulous location. We take a flexible approach to wifi charges with guests able to purchase as much or as little wifi as required, capped at a $24.95 maximum per day. Guests can also enjoy free wifi in The Grand Bar with any purchase or can take advantage of a business package which includes wifi. It is a good idea to keep an eye on the specials which regularly appear on our website as well. With a major refurbishment around the corner I trust we can look forward to welcoming you back to the Stamford Grand Adelaide in the future.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stayed recently and was very disappointed with the high rate (busy Clipsal weekend but still an excessive amount) for such a tired spot in desperate need of a revamp. While we were greeted with wonderful service and a smile at front desk, that was unfortunately where the compliments stopped. The rooms are average at best and room service food/timing left a lot to be desired. A request for ice took over 45 minutes! Not sure I would stay here again in a hurry.

Room Tip: ask for an ocean view room, but only if it's high up as especially on weekends the bar can get v...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Siobhan

Thank you for taking the time to post your candid feedback. I was pleased to read that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful during your stay over the Clipsal weekend. You will be pleased to note that we are about to undertake a full refurbishment encompassing guest rooms and public areas with work to commence shortly. Whilst you’ve indicated you would be reluctant to stay again I trust that, by the time you’re ready to stay again, our rooms will be more to your liking and the hotel will not be quite so busy.

Adelaide
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

In my years of travelling I have stayed at backpackers hostels and I have stayed in 5 star luxury and being an Adelaidian and having stayed at the grand a few times over the past 20 years I'm am very sad to say the Grand is sitting somewhere in the middle while still trying to pretend its a 5 star hotel... It may have the 5 star location but that's where it ends.
It seriously needs a facelift and someone to spend some money on upgrading it... In my room the window had electrical tape holding the window frame together, the bathroom had mould in it, the air conditioning didn't work properly and the tv reception was not great, and in the morning the breakfast was stone cold and really basic. One other thing I noticed was the little cafes that used to be downstairs have gone making way for a dodgy little art dealer which reminded me a lot of being in a low budget hotel in Asia.
Now you may skim over my review thinking I'm just a person who's hard to please but I'm usually the opposite this is the first time I've ever written a bad review on a website I just like to get what I pay for and I feel that the Grand can not keep charging 5 star rates when they are only a 3 star hotel, plus i also feel sad that what was once a luxurious hotel has gone down hill so much.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear JOJO74_10

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay back in November. I was quite saddened to read of your disappointment in the condition of the hotel. Having taken up the position of General Manager at this property in December, I am excited to advise that we are in the final stages of design for a major refurbishment including guest rooms and public areas. We hope to have our first prototype room completed by the end of this month. This is a lovely hotel in a wonderful location so I am looking forward to seeing it shine in the months to come. Thanks again for your time.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed on Wednesday night on the top floor 12. The Concierge (Jarod) and staff were brilliant, friendly and very welcoming. I can see that the hotel gets some bad reviews but we can not fault a thing the views are beautiful. Room was clean. The wine was chilled and the air- conditioner was already on. the spar was great. and the beach view at sunset - breath taking.
Well done Jarod and team, thank you so much. we will be back and will definitely recommend you guys.

Room Tip: Ask for room 1220. It's the best in the hotel. Quite A/C great spacious and just stunning views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear danno948

Thank you for your lovely comments about our location, facilities and staff. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional service and take great pleasure in hearing that our guests have enjoyed their time with us. I hope your wife enjoyed her birthday and we look forward to hosting you both again in the near future.

Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenelg
Oaks Plaza Pier Apartment Hotel
Stamford Plaza Adelaide
#13 of 58 in Adelaide
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,933 reviews
The Playford - MGallery by Sofitel

Been to Stamford Grand Adelaide? Share your experiences!