Stamford Grand Adelaide
Oaks Plaza Pier Apartment Hotel(Glenelg)(Great Value!)
$122
$102
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
$72
$60
Agoda.com
Ensenada Motor Inn and Suites(Glenelg)(Great Value!)
$89
$74
Seawall Apartments(Glenelg)(Great Value!)
$126
$104
Agoda.com
Comfort Inn Anzac Highway(Glenelg)(Great Value!)
$79
$75
Atlantic Tower Motor Inn(Glenelg)(Great Value!)
$79
$103
$100
TripAdvisor
3,070 results
All reviewspromenade restaurantwinter wonderlandgrand bargreat locationocean viewcocktail loungeglenelg beachjetty roadbuffet breakfasthigh teabalcony roomvalet parkingtram stopcityadelaideconciergeconference
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Gave just spent the last week staying at Stamford grand. The rooms are perhaps a little tired and in need of refurbishment but service is outstanding and the location is perfect. So close to everything that beautiful Glenelg has to offer. One of our best holidays ever. Would probably choose to stay here again. Keep eye out for good deals. Buffet breakfast very good as well. If staying in Adelaide couldn't recommend a better spot. Staff exceptional all round including cleaners.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Beverages
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear Beverages

I was delighted to read that you’ve just enjoyed one of your best holidays ever with us. This is exactly the kind of memorable stay we aim to provide for all of our guests. With a refurbishment on the drawing board we look forward to your next stay with us at the Stamford Grand Adelaide.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Our bosses very generously gave us a night at the Grand, so we took advantage of this on the weekend we went to Adelaide for my sons engagement. When we arrived we were straight away impressed with the very friendly efficient staff from the concierge to the receptionist.They really made us feel welcomed. Our room was very clean and well presented. We had some friends join us in the afternoon, so we decided to have some afternnon tea sent to our room. The young lady who bought it up to our room, was very nice and polite. When our friends left we decided to book dinner in the restaurant. And that is where it all went wrong. The restaurant was by no means busy, so we were taken to a nice table overlooking the ocean.When we read the menu, I was plkeased to see a wild mushroom Risotto on the menu and we both decided to have that for dinner. So we ordered two serves of garlic bread andtwo serves of Risotto.The waitress who took our order was friendly and polite, but neglected to tell us that the garlic bread was a massive serve of four giant wedges of bread, supposedly with garlic. When it arrived at the table, it looked impressive, but when we tasted it, all we could taste was the bread and some mixed herbs,and very little garlic, if any.As for the RISOTTO, It was obviously made with a commercial chicken stock, and when we tasted it all we could taste was the chicken stock. By far the worst Risotto I have ever had anywhere. It was a shame that the hostess, who was not at al busy, did'nt occupy her time by going around the tables to see if people were enjoying their meal, as the table down from us also commented on how bad their meal was. I hope the chef on duty that night, learns how to make a Risotto or else takes it off the menu. We certainly will stay at the Grand again, but will eat somewhere else.

Room Tip: Eat somewhere else.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank andrenron

Dear andrenron

Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive feedback following your recent stay. I was very pleased to note that you found our staff friendly and efficient and that, overall, you enjoyed your stay. I was very disappointed that your experience in our restaurant did not meet your expectations and have shared your feedback with my Executive Chef to prevent a recurrence. This is certainly not the standard of food we aim to provide and I do hope you’ll give our restaurant another try next time you visit.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed for a weekend to just chill out by the beach and relax and thats exactly what we did. We had the ocean view with balcony and it was a WOW moment on entering the room as the sun was setting which just never got old.

We had drinks in the Horizon Bar which also has the beach view and handled functions and private paying customers equally well. We sat and watched the world go by in The Grand bar and the pool area is stunning.

After reading some previous reviews I was concerned but the photos on the website are a true representation of the rooms. We had no issues, a lovely large room with big wardrobe and the bathroom and shower were lovely. This is not a modernist hotel, it makes no claims to be. I will definitely be back and I will also have a look at other locations as we were treated very well by all the staff.

I especially liked the fact that you can borrow mobile phone chargers as I realised I had forgotten mine and it meant I could continue taking photos without worrying about the phone dying.

Room service was outstanding. Staff friendly and polite and one of the few places that actually didn't make me feel bad for ordering room service rather than going and getting something myself. The food was fantastic, I just didn't have enough time to try everything I wanted to.

Room Tip: Higher floor for both views and a quieter night
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank abandrus

Dear Abandrus

Thank you for your kind words about your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed yourself so much and were able to take advantage of our lovely facilities and location. We aim to be “exceptional in every sense” so it is very rewarding to receive reviews such as yours. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you venture over the border.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

As previous reviewers said, you're primarily paying for location with this hotel. It's right at the beach, overlooking the ocean, and on the other side is Moseley Square with lots of dining options. We had a room on the 11th floor with a city view, which was great as well. So, if you're looking for a hotel by the beach, this is it. Hopefully, you wouldn't be looking for much else because the location is pretty much the only real selling point. We arrived to a professional, though not especially warm reception and efficient valet parking. The room was fine but clearly needs a face lift, especially the bathroom. The bed was comfortable, and everything worked but it didn't look very contemporary. We had the breakfast buffet one morning and it was pretty sad and not at all worth the price tag. The coffee especially was woeful. I recommend walking down Elizabeth St and having breakfast at Grind It, which has great coffee and a creative menu.

The most negative experience actually happened on check-out. There was a long line and one person working the reception, who was trying to work as fast as she could but there really was just one of her. Very strange and bad planning that they hadn't put on more staff since they knew full well that there would be lots of people checking out: they'd slid a letter under our door the previous night, suggesting that we use Express Checkout since they were at capacity and expecting lots of checkouts. I would have been very happy to do Express Checkout but since it it could only be done with a credit card, I would have had to pay a credit card surcharge. Not acceptable in a major hotel, and so I stood in line and paid by EFTPOS, quietly stewing at the lack of service orientation.

Overall, a good hotel in a great location but not worth the price. I probably would only stay there again if I got a special deal of less than $200/night with ocean view.

Room Tip: High floors are quieter and offer better views.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank melbguy

Dear Melbguy

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us. I was disappointed to read that your room and breakfast did not meet your expectations but confirm that we are in the planning stages of a major refurbishment which will cover everything from guest rooms to public areas. I also apologise for the frustration that you experienced at check-out. This is certainly not the standard of service we aim to provide and I have addressed this with my Front Office Manager to prevent a recurrence. I trust we can look forward to welcoming you back to the Stamford Grand in the future.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I would come back to this hotel ONLY for the location! You will not experience anything else like this location wise! The tram is outside the door, and entertainment on the pier every night. The view itself is worth a thousand words.

We stayed 3 nights - 1 in a king balcony room and then 2 nights in VIP suite. We were not greeted on arrival by concierge, waited 10 mins in the queue when I was the only person at reception for the staff member to finish reading a report. We were given a twin double room with balcony. Was told that nothing could be done even though my confirmation email said King bed. When trying to get our luggage from the car park to room, concierge ignored us and did not offer any assistance or even to hold lift door open. My partner and I were extremely uncomfortable in the old, outdated bed and room attire. We were very disappointed as we were celebrating our engagement and spending a lot of money for the hotel services.

We moved to the VIP suite for the next 2 nights as per booked plan. The room had slightly more quality however could use a serious makeover for 5 star hotel. Spa bath was amazing though as the bathroom had a window to look out over the ocean! We ate out at many of the Glenelg restaurants and cannot fault any. We ate at the hotel restaurant for breakfast on our last day. We were shocked to find out that breakfast was $30+ for buffet pp. According to the dining menus in our room we thought it was around $20 pp. We were not told the price until we got the room bill ( probably my own fault for not asking but I assumed it was the price as stated in the dining menu. Apparently not ...)

Overall I would come back to this hotel for the location, but would not waste my money on anything more fancy as I have stayed in better 5 star hotels in Sydney, Melbourne and Fiji!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LB2B251

Dear LB2B251

Thank you for taking the time to post your candid feedback following your recent visit and congratulations on your engagement. I sincerely apologise that your celebratory stay with us did not meet your expectations and, more specifically, for the misunderstanding about the cost of our full buffet breakfast. We are about to embark on a major refurbishment of our guest rooms and public areas so I hope you will visit us again when you are next in Adelaide.