“Great Experience - Better than expected and International Standard of Service”

Stamford Grand Adelaide
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Glenelg
Reviewed January 10, 2013

My husband and I travelled with our very elderly mums and were delighted at the standard of service and the appointment of the rooms.

Best view over Glenelg beach and busy promenades.

Would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: As for the room with the circular windows on floors above the 4th level on northern side of hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kim H
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear Kim

Thank you for your kind words following your recent stay with your husband and mums. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed yourselves so much and that my team looked after you all well. We look forward to hosting you again next time you’re in Adelaide.

Kind regards

Write a ReviewReviews (2,810)

Reviewed January 8, 2013

I booked and paid for a room here for my son as a birthday gift. When he checked in he was asked for his card so they could take an imprint, normal practice for most establishments I think. On checking later he found $100 had been taken from his account. The person at reception at no time told him that any money would be taken out and we still can not work out how they did it when he didn't supply them with his pin number. Sadly his stay was marred by not having enough money to go out for a meal and a drink. He rang the hotel on the Monday and asked them to put the money back in his account which they did more than 24 hours later, therefore they had his $100 for 3 days. Really disappointed in the devious way this was done and upset that my son was unable to enjoy his birthday as much as he would have liked.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dantom33
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear Dantom33

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your son’s recent stay with us. I sincerely apologise for the misunderstanding regarding the pre-authorisation procedure which is standard across most Australian hotels. This is like a bond and is explained to each guest at check in. Upon check-out the hotel contacts the financial institution to have the bond released however some banks can take longer than 24 hours to release the pre-authorisation. Please be assured that there was nothing underhanded about this. I do hope your son will consider staying with us in the future.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Booked 3 nights on wotif for myself, partner, 10 year old & 2 year old. Perfect family location as we bounced from pool to beach and back. We were lucky enough to get the top floor and the city view was nice @ night. The room was surprisingly large and despite other negative reviews on tripadvisor I was happy with the service and staff were always friendly.. All in all an enjoyable quick break.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank ammaus n

Dear ammaus n

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review following your family’s quick break at The Grand. I was delighted to read that you found our staff helpful and friendly, the service good and your room spacious and well appointed. We have a fabulous location right on the foreshore so I was pleased that you took advantage of that and enjoyed both the beach and our pool deck. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Although this Hotel is very good, for it's expense the rooms should be better. The breakfast is excellent and it has a great wine bar if you're into that kind of thing. It's location is fantastic but for families there are better places to stay in Glenelg (I have stayed here previously with the family). I would only recommend giving it a go if you can one of their specials (online park and stay deal).

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Reg D

Dear Reg D

I appreciate you having taken the time to post your feedback. I was pleased to read you enjoyed our location, breakfast and wine bar and that, overall, you enjoyed your stay. You will be pleased to note that we are in the planning stages of a major refurbishment which will include all guest rooms and public areas. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Stamford Grand Adelaide in the future.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We recently stayed at the Stamford Grand in Glenelg. The Hotel location has an excellent - right on the beachfront and the resturant area and shopping precint of Jetty Road at our doorstep. However we did find our room and bathroom to be dated and the mattress quite soft and uncomfortable. The rooftop pool and spa have a lovely outlook. However there were tiles missing from the the pool and the whole area could do with a spruce up as it looked tired.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean front room. The view is lovely.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear DianeR1

Thank you for posting your review. I was delighted to read that you were able to take advantage of our wonderful location during your stay. You will be pleased to note that we are about to replace all of the mattresses in our guest rooms followed closely by a full refurbishment of guest rooms and public areas. I trust you will give us the opportunity to host you again when you’re next in Adelaide.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Perfect location by the beach. Near the tram stop. Rooms by the water cater to families well. Rooms are clean and beds are very comfortable. Staff friendly. Parking available for fee. Close to lots of restaurants. Swimming pool pretty good but needs a bit of make-over.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear LegItAustralia

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your stay with us. We are very proud of our wonderful location right on the foreshore of Adelaide’s premier beachside suburb so I was pleased to see you were able to take advantage of that and that you found our staff to be accommodating. I hope we’ll see you again when you’re next in Adelaide.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed there for 1 night, a surprise night and dinner for my 60th.
The room had a great view and was well appointed however the bathroom was well below standard with black mould around the bath. Plus for top dollar you would not expect a shower within a bath and a plastic shower screen.
Having an advertising bill board in the main room was tacky.

I think the Grand is living on its location.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank IANLIANE

Dear IANLIANE

I appreciate your having taken the time to post your comments following your recent stay. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your surprise 60th celebrations and congratulate you on this wonderful milestone. You will be pleased to note that we are in the planning stages of a major refurbishment which will include both guest rooms and public areas. I do hope we will see you again soon.

Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenelg
Oaks Plaza Pier Apartment Hotel
Hilton Adelaide
Hilton Adelaide
#18 of 56 in Adelaide
The Playford - MGallery by Sofitel

Been to Stamford Grand Adelaide? Share your experiences!