“Rooms a little of a let down but otherwise fantastic”

Stamford Grand Adelaide
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Glenelg
Adelaide, Australia
“Rooms a little of a let down but otherwise fantastic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding at a somewhat busy time of year. The problem with most of the apartments in glenelg is that they have a 2 night minimum stay and so we had a choice between 2 cheap hotels or the stamford grand. Looking at the prices of the rooms we were surprised to find that some were affordable, so we made a booking.

The hotel itself is amazing, the facilities, the decor, the service. If you stay there for a day and plan to spend some time in the hotel then the price would be worth it. Unfortunately we had a wedding to go at 3 and check in time was 2pm. We basically only went back to the room to sleep.

When we got to our room there was a bit of disappointment. The pictures on the site made the rooms look much larger than they were, and the furtniature was a bit cheap looking. I have a king bed at home and have to say the "king" bed in the room was a queen at best. The shower also had a little bit of mould that I couldn't help but notice.

Other than that the view was great, location great, rooms clean (aside from shower mould). Service was good and the place was quiet (rare these days when staying at hotels). But i suppose I just expected a little more for my $260. I think the room itself was worth maybe 150-200. The rooms were nothing compared to the Intercontinental for example (which charges 300 a night but is very fancy indeed).

I suppose if you must stay in Glenelg though and can't get a place at any of the apartments then at least the Stamford Grand will be quiet and nicer than the other cheap hotels.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca N
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Rebecca,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was delighted to read that you found our hotel and service to be “amazing” and enjoyed our great location. You will be pleased to note that we are in the planning stages of a major refurbishment of our guest rooms with work scheduled to commence next year. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Stamford Grand Adelaide when you have time to enjoy our facilities.

Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

I've stayed here a few times as it has it all. Firstly, top location - step out the door onto the beach, a myriad of local restaurants and pubs nearby and a tram at the doorstep that will take you to Adelaide's CBD. The rooms are perfectly fine, and. Recommend paying the extra for sea facing. There is also a good size pool & spa. One of my favourite things is to watch the sun set from the front bar of the pub downstairs with a cold beer, sensational.

Room Tip: Sea facing is best
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Darren B
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Dear Darren,
Thank you for posting your great feedback. I was delighted to read that you regularly enjoy staying with us and that you take full advantage of our fabulous location and facilities when you do. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed for 7 nights and as my husband has a mobility problem, requested a special access room as all others have a shower over the bath tub. The room was on the 3rd floor, with a view over the carpark. A bit disappoiting but we planned to be out and about so weren't too worried. The big problem however was the noise level. From Thursday to Sunday nights, the bar down stairs becomes a night club and from the third floor, we had constant noise until 4am. I believe the venue closes at 3am, however patrons then spill out into the street. When checking out I advised that I thought guests who are booked into rooms on the lower levels should be made aware of this - perhaps if you keep late hours yourself you wouldn't have minded, but for us it really ruined the trip and we wouldn't stay again for that reason. Apart from that the staff were great, we had a lovely dinner in the restaurant and the location is excellent. Our room really needed a refurb, everything is looking old.

Room Tip: Be aware that lower floors are very noisy over the weekends.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travelling2_11
Dear Travelling2_11
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your dinner in our restaurant and that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. I apologise that noise from our bar and neighbouring venues marred your stay. Should you grant us the opportunity to host you again we may be able to accommodate your husband’s mobility problem in one of our suites which have a separate spa and shower and plenty of room to get around. Thank you again for your time and I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
Alice Springs, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

I have stayed here on a number of occasions and the staff are always pleasent and helpful. The property is in need of a refurbishment - its starting to look a little dated. Great location and views if you get an ocean view which I didn't this stay. It was only overnight but the little things stand out like the aged bathrooms and the shower over the bath - its time to compete with the new facilities down the road a bit.

Room Tip: Rooms with an Ocean View.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Michael T
Dear Michael,
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay. I was delighted to read that you are a regular guest and always find our staff friendly and accommodating. You will be pleased to note that we are about to commence a major refurbishment of our guest rooms with work due to commence in the New Year. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Stamford Grand next time you are in Adelaide.
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed here overnight for an anniversary trip to SA. We had a great stay... Had paid for the ocean view room and very glad we did. We were on the 10th floor, looking straight out over the jetty and the waters of Glenelg beach. Very convenient spot next to the tram and great access to the local shops etc. Lovely!
We enjoyed a great buffet breakfast in the morning (just needed a good toasted muesli) and ate at the Promenade at night - very good. My only real 'gripe' was with the check-in/check-out process in relation to the deal we had. The lady on the desk (same both times) failed to mention that we had breakfast included until I reminded her upon check-in, then presented a bill without the $20 credit we were to get off at the end. Each were quickly fixed when I pointed them out, but I feel that I shouldn't have to and would just suggest others make sure you get what you sign up to.

Room Tip: Ocean view room is precisely that - great views!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear ‘Returning the favour’
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your anniversary with us and you were able to take advantage of our fabulous location right on the foreshore at Glenelg beach. I do apologise for the confusion surrounding your package inclusions and confirm that the team member concerned has received some extra training as a result of your feedback.
Congratulations on your anniversary and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Stamford Grand Adelaide in the future.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

I recently stayed at Stamford Grand for 4 nights, and from my checkin to checkout, all the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Coming from a customer service background, I know great customer service when I see it and would highly recommend this hotel to everyone.

The room was fantastic, one of the better rooms that I have stayed in, great location and great view.

I cant wait to get back to Glenelg and live it up at the Stamford Grand again.

Michael

Room Tip: I stayed on level 11, with a city view, and it was very quiet, peaceful with an amazing view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Michael,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service so I was delighted to learn that you were impressed by our staff, particularly as you have a customer service background yourself.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Stamford Grand Adelaide next time you’re in Glenelg.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

This hotel lends itself to both business and pleasure .
Nice location on the promenade , be sure to get a sea view, truly lovely to wake up to.
Little dated and needs decoration but still nice.
Breakfast good and dinner with sea view nice.Food is ok.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear 187069Mario
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our sea views and great customer service. You will be pleased to note that we are in the planning stages of a major refurbishment of our guest rooms with work expected to commence in the new year.
Thank you again for your time and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Stamford Grand Adelaide in the future.
Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenelg
Oaks Plaza Pier Apartment Hotel
Stamford Plaza Adelaide
#12 of 57 in Adelaide
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,011 reviews
The Playford - MGallery by Sofitel

Been to Stamford Grand Adelaide? Share your experiences!