“GREAT STAFF! FRIENDLY BAGGAGE STAFF! PICTURESQUE LOCATION!”

Stamford Grand Adelaide
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Glenelg
Torquay, Australia
“GREAT STAFF! FRIENDLY BAGGAGE STAFF! PICTURESQUE LOCATION!”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

I must say the staff were amazing. Extremely helpful. After arriving at 10am after a long international flight we were given free early check in. We were so appreciative. You don't get service like that very often. Good location, right near bars and resturants. Shopping just a skip, hop and jump away! Will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
RajKakarla, Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We were delighted to hear that you found our staff “amazing” and that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. As you discovered, we are in a wonderful location right on the foreshore at Adelaide’s most popular beach side destination. Our goal is to make sure that all guests feel as though they belong during their stay with us and that each visit is a special one and we do hope that we achieved our goal during your visit.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Stamford Grand Adelaide in the near future.
Raj Kakarla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
Melbourne
Reviewed November 26, 2011

Having stayed here before, I think that this place is simply in need of a thorough makeover. I knew I was in for a challenge when I arrived, there was no where I could park the car close to the hotel for valet to collect. Not that it was busy, just the valet people were more interested in talking to each another. Check in was slow, as allot of other reviews have stated, the booking wasn't upto scratch. As a non smoker, the room smelt of smoke, and was told that this room was non smoking, but I was sleeping in an ash tray. The bed was saggy, and to make this place good again, all we need to do is do a good internal makeover, replace the furniture, curtains and a good paint, and get rid of the cigarette smell. The location is superb, and is a highly recomended location to go to. We had food at the restaurant, but were ushered out by 10.30pm, as it was quiet, and the bar shut at 11.00pm as it was quiet. Adelaide is known to be a sleepy town, and this place reflects this. This would be classed as a 4 star establishment, and staff could do with a bit of courtesy training. If talking to one another is more important than greeting the customer, then you scored high here, as you didnt wish to provide much customer service, and I should apologise for interupting your conversation, as the response I recieved back showed you don't want people to stay in this place that used to be good. I won't be back for a while, having stayed here numerous times before on business.

Room Tip: Ask at reception to check room prior to going into the room. Go above fifth floor, ideally ocean vi...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank bigandblack
Dear Guest
I appreciate your having taken the time to provide your feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies that our service did not meet your expectations in this instance. We aim to provide exceptional service to all our guests however this was clearly not your experience. Consequently, I have addressed this with the managers of each of the departments mentioned to prevent a recurrence. We are in the process of replacing the beds in our guest rooms and also invigorating several other areas throughout the hotel so you should see a marked improvement upon your next stay.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 26, 2011

The Stamford Grand may have had a pretence of being 'grand' when it was new, but it is now very much a very faded beauty that appears not to have been updated since it was built. Despite a good location right on a very attractive beachfront, the foyer is carpeted, over-adorned and has a baby grand piano playing itself. The rooms are adequate; but the bed in the room I had was uncomfortable, soft, with loose springs and on a noticeable angle from the centre to the edge. The bathrooms were an old fashioned shower over the bath. The worst aspect of the hotel floors was the smell: while the individual room was non-smoking, the floor wasn't and it smelled stale and awful each time you had to walk through it. Despite the pleasant location on the beach side, The Promenade Cafe (for breakfast) was ordinary; and room service menu was very basic and not well prepared. It didn't even offer a fish dish when South Australia is known for its great seafood! Overall, the staff are friendly and helpful.

I stayed here because I had to for a work purpose. Usually, when I'm in Adelaide I stay in the city which is what I would recommend.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, at least ask for an ocean view room.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I was pleased to read that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful and that you were able to take advantage of our spectacular ocean views. Whilst our traditional and classic décor is not to everyone’s taste, you will be pleased to note that we are in the process of replacing all the beds in the hotel and refreshing the guest room bathrooms. Thank you again for your time and we trust we may look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Wagga Wagga, Australia
Reviewed November 19, 2011

TWISH 326, we had a similar experience. Seems to be the norm for the Stamford!

Booked the Stamford for our 27th wedding anniversary and wanted something really special. First time ever to Adelaide, so went 'all out'. $300 a night for the room which included parking (no breakfast, no newspaper). Despite ringing twice and receiving an e.mail saying our request for a balcony is noted, I was told on arriving that none of the Jnr Suites have balconies! Bad luck. I had also added an extra night onto the booking so that we would arrive Saturday instead of Sunday. Again, despites assurances that our 2 bookings were amalgamated, I was woken on the 2nd day (the DO NOT DISTURB sign was on the door), to say I should have checked out. I quoted the two booking numbers, no apology, no nothing! We had to pay $22 for valet parking despite saying we would park the car ourselves for $15. Even the 3 days that the car just sat in their carpark we were charged for the 'valet' service. 2 of the 3 windows in our suite were broken so we could only open 1 for some sea breeze. The safe was locked open so i could not set a code. I phoned reception and they promptly sent someone up to unlock it. When I went to close and lock the safe I realised why it was locked open. The safe was faulty and could not lock! $28 per head for a continental breakfast - we just wanted tea and toast. Day 4 and our roon card stopped working so had to get new cards to access the lift and the room. On two occasions after the room was serviced, we returned to find no towels. Phoned reception and towels were promptly provided, however it shouldn't have happened. The corridors needed a really good vacuum and the foyer smelt like urine. Ok, chill, let's go for a nice cocktail in the rather flash cocktail lounge overlooking the water. Waiting for my drink, I cause sight of a half eaten piece of pizza left in the indoor plant beside me. Cocktail arrived and the residue of someone's cocktail before me remained on the glass - must get your dishwasher checked guys!

I looked in the wardrobe of the room and saw 2 pairs of slippers, but one bathrobe. I went down to reception and queried why there was only one robe and was told by Liz (after checking wih another colleague) that the rooms only have one robe. "That's a bit odd" i said "especialy given that there are slippers for two. I have made a note of the conversation as I am certain I will have a charge on my credit card to 'stealing' the so called missing robe.

Oh, and the pool. Once I finally found it (no signs on the lifts so I just started at level 1 and worked up). Despite being 'heated' it was a fraction above freezing point. It was cold and extremely windy on the day so a swim in the ocean was not an option.

On the finalnight a letter was placed under the door explaining that the Hotel would be busy at check out the following morning. We were advised to do an express checkout using our TV, press the Menu Key and follow the prompts. This didn't work, so another trip down to reception for a 5 minute wait until someone looked up to serve you. They were always busy looking at the screen - obviously helping another guest who I could not see.

My first and last experience of staying at a Stamford hotel in Australia and overseas.

Room Tip: Best tip is to stay somewhere else! This is really just a 3 star hotel which is double the price of...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Riverina54
Dear Guest,
Please accept my sincere apologies for the numerous issues which marred your recent 27th wedding anniversary stay with us. This is certainly not the level of service we aim to provide to our guests and, while some of the issues you encountered were minor, the response you received from our staff was inexcusable. Please rest assured that each department manager has read this entire review and steps will be taken to prevent a recurrence of those issues exacerbated by the attitude of the staff you encountered. Should you encounter similar issues at any hotel in the future, it is worth seeking out the manager while you’re still on the property as we would always prefer to resolve any issues immediately rather than have you leave us disappointed. Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Should you consider staying with us again I would be grateful if you would contact me directly so I may look after you personally.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I tavelled over to Adelaide for a work conference. Staff were very prompy and accommodating. The motel is very clean and spacious. Unfortunately my room did not have a beach view, but it was very big, water pressure in the shower was great. My weekend co-insided with the Quantas grounding, the boys behind the concierge's desk very extremely helpful and polite. Down falls: buffet breakfast- bacon under cooked, scrambled eggs very bland (definitely no second helpings). An extra lap top with wi-fi for guests is require with only 1 for over 200+ rooms. My collegues complainded they could hear the guests in the rooms next to them, I had no issue, even thought the Motel was booked out all weekend.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank CT007
RajKakarla, Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Dear Guest,

I appreciate you having taken the time to provide your comments and was delighted you found our staff to be prompt and accommodating during the Qantas flight disruptions. The chefs in our restaurant are happy to prepare your bacon and eggs exactly as you desire as we’re well aware that people’s preferences differ greatly. We’ve found that most business travellers bring their own laptops with them however I take your feedback on board and will review this service. I trust we can look forward to hosting you again next time you’re in Adelaide.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 13, 2011

I stayed here two years ago and it was looking dated then now it really looks old and tired which is a shame as the location is fantastic and the reason I chose to stay here. The staff and service is professional and caring and the rooms and batthroom are large but the fitout, colouring, bed covers, styling etc is all so dull and used. Perhaps they should drop the term "Grand" from their title. Still it is lovely to be by the beach and away from the CBD and for this I will probably be back.

Room Tip: You must get a room that overlooks the water...that's why you come here.
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I was pleased to read that you found our staff and service both professional and caring as we pride ourselves on providing exceptional service. Whilst I acknowledge that our classic décor is not to everyone’s taste I trust we may look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

hong kong
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Room was large but quite tired - needs refurnishing. Bath is high and since it is combined with shower, would be difficult for older person or someone with knee/hip problem to step into. Air conditioner really noisy. View of sea was great. One person at check-in and queue was long. Same for check out. I would stay there again but there are likely to be other options for the same price.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid review. I was pleased to read that you would choose to stay with us again. We offer a broad range of room types to suit most tastes including suites, spa rooms and rooms to suit those with mobility issues and we also provide an express check out service to assist guests in a hurry during peak periods. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Raj Kakarla
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenelg
Oaks Plaza Pier Apartment Hotel
Stamford Plaza Adelaide
Stamford Plaza Adelaide
#14 of 57 in Adelaide
The Playford - MGallery by Sofitel

Been to Stamford Grand Adelaide? Share your experiences!