“Amazing view if you get the right room”

Stamford Grand Adelaide
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Glenelg
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I tavelled over to Adelaide for a work conference. Staff were very prompy and accommodating. The motel is very clean and spacious. Unfortunately my room did not have a beach view, but it was very big, water pressure in the shower was great. My weekend co-insided with the Quantas grounding, the boys behind the concierge's desk very extremely helpful and polite. Down falls: buffet breakfast- bacon under cooked, scrambled eggs very bland (definitely no second helpings). An extra lap top with wi-fi for guests is require with only 1 for over 200+ rooms. My collegues complainded they could hear the guests in the rooms next to them, I had no issue, even thought the Motel was booked out all weekend.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank CT007
RajKakarla, Manager at Stamford Grand Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2011

Dear Guest,

I appreciate you having taken the time to provide your comments and was delighted you found our staff to be prompt and accommodating during the Qantas flight disruptions. The chefs in our restaurant are happy to prepare your bacon and eggs exactly as you desire as we’re well aware that people’s preferences differ greatly. We’ve found that most business travellers bring their own laptops with them however I take your feedback on board and will review this service. I trust we can look forward to hosting you again next time you’re in Adelaide.

Reviewed November 13, 2011

I stayed here two years ago and it was looking dated then now it really looks old and tired which is a shame as the location is fantastic and the reason I chose to stay here. The staff and service is professional and caring and the rooms and batthroom are large but the fitout, colouring, bed covers, styling etc is all so dull and used. Perhaps they should drop the term "Grand" from their title. Still it is lovely to be by the beach and away from the CBD and for this I will probably be back.

Room Tip: You must get a room that overlooks the water...that's why you come here.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I was pleased to read that you found our staff and service both professional and caring as we pride ourselves on providing exceptional service. Whilst I acknowledge that our classic décor is not to everyone’s taste I trust we may look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 8, 2011

Room was large but quite tired - needs refurnishing. Bath is high and since it is combined with shower, would be difficult for older person or someone with knee/hip problem to step into. Air conditioner really noisy. View of sea was great. One person at check-in and queue was long. Same for check out. I would stay there again but there are likely to be other options for the same price.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid review. I was pleased to read that you would choose to stay with us again. We offer a broad range of room types to suit most tastes including suites, spa rooms and rooms to suit those with mobility issues and we also provide an express check out service to assist guests in a hurry during peak periods. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed November 7, 2011

Stayed here in Feb 2011 on a Friday night. Easy to find from the airport but parking wasn't signposted very clearly so we parked in the public carpark close-by.The interior of the hotel reminds me a bygone age and saying that does need a little attention in places. Check in was good and manager very chatty. He upgraded us to a high sea view room and boy the sunset over the sea was just gorgeous.The room itself was spacious, clean and comfortable but nothing to jump up and down about. We didn't eat in the hotel and tried a cafe close by.As we hit the road early we checked out but couldn't sample breakfast as the restaurant wasn't open so can't comment there. On the whole our one night stay hasn't left any lasting memoreis other than pleasant.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay overall and do hope your itinerary allows you the opportunity to try our full buffet breakfast upon your next visit. Available from 6am to 11am it boasts a wonderful array of traditional breakfast fare and a few special treats. Should you need to leave early again, try our room service options - after all, you can’t do a good day’s work on an empty stomach! We look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed November 7, 2011

Great hotel in a superb position but some staff need training,we were ignored in the cocktail bar while the staff chatted after ten mins we walked out.

Room Tip: Ensure you get a sea view and watch the sun sets
1  Thank rogerramjet365

Dear Guest,

Please accept my sincere apologies that you were not provided with the exceptional customer service we pride ourselves on when you visited our cocktail lounge. I have addressed this matter with the manager to prevent a recurrence and trust that our lovely hotel and its wonderful position will entice you back. I’m sure you will have an entirely different experience in our cocktail lounge upon your next visit.

Reviewed November 5, 2011

Stayed overnight for a special birthday on a package deal.
After finally finding the CarPArk (a few signs wouldn't hurt) we checked in!

Nice room overlooking city. Didn't think extra for a Sea vIew was worth the extra cash!

Wife forgot her bathers so made a special trip up Jetty Road to buy a new pair. Looking forward to a nice swim! Freezing cold pool which is supposed to be heated, so into the warm spa. We were nearly drowned by torrents of water coming from everywhere. Maybe inefficient jets or broken even we thought, in between having to get out and restart the spa (4) times, Brrrr! So why no try the Sauna, also cold mmmm, Finally found switch! Waited and waited and waited for it to heat up, between gushes of cold air rushing through under the door which also wouldn't close properly. Not such a good idea this swimming caper!! Quite frankly a wate of time and money (new bathers).

Went down later into the Horizons Lounge for our complimentary welcome drinks before Dinner! Asked the girl what could we have, she seemed quite out of place and I wasn't confident that she knew what she was doing? Finally decided upon a nice Coonawarra Cabernet from the wine list, bar girl didn't know whether they had it! So asked well what can we have, there were a few bottles on the bar so finally decided to choose one. How about a nice packet of Chips or Peanuts I asked. Sorry don't have any was the reply! By this time I was getting really frustrated, so settled on the wines, and took off up the street to buy the Chips, back to wife who was still sitting by the window, nice view. Finally came back with Chips when the wines finally arrived. Obviously the Koonunga Red had been sitting open in the bottle for some time as it was rather lacking in body. however didn't dare attempt to follow up with another choice as we has already wasted 20 minute or more. Found out later that the girl was filling in for someone who was late!! Not my problem I thought but obviously it was!

This place used to be Grand but now I'm afraid it has lost its former excellent quality of service, and has been replaced like so many other similar establishments with mediocre staff and service!

Wait there's more. At check in we were told that Car Parking was included in our package, only to find out later on check out that it wasn't. No apologies offered other than, well that's it. I'm swiping your card for $15

On the previous night a letter was placed under the door explaining that the Hotel would be experiencing a busy period at check out the following morning and advised that we could do so using our Television pressing the Menu Key and follow the prompts. OK I'll try this. Sorry!! The Menu key wouldn't work despite numerous attempts, so Next!!

Here's another!! At 8:30am we were woken by a knock at the door!! OK I hadn't placed the DO NOT DISTURB taq on the handle, but we had negotiated a 12 noon later Checkout when checking in, so who could this be!! Sorry was the reply we'll come back later! It was HOUSEKEEPING! Not good to wake me like that!! Obviously no communication with front desk!!

OK I'll read my complimentary Newspaper. Where is it? We didn't have one! So I walked to the next room and took theirs! Naughty Boy!!

Finally went down for breakfast which was nice and relaxing, except that we're still be waiting for a special order which we never got!. After we went for a walk along the pier etc and finally came back to the Hotel around 11:45 am. So into the Lift we go, swipe our card and press our floor no. No go!! So out of the lift I go across to desk which I had guessed by this time hadn't added the later check out to our card. No apologies or Sorry Sir! So back into the Lift we go!!

OK all these little things were fairly minor but infortunately there were too many of them to pass it over as a one off. Luckily it didn't spoil our stay, as we just love Glenelg and all that goes to make up such a wonderful experience, but it was enough for us to say next time we'll find somewhere else to spend our time and definitely not go back to the Grand!! We have told many of our friends about this, so go at your own peril, you'll probably enjoy most of it!!

Room Tip: If you're not going to spend much time in your room , don't waste your money on a sea view...
2  Thank TWISH326

Dear Guest,

I was disappointed to read that your experience was not all that you’d hoped. Indeed, I too would be frustrated with the number of things that went wrong during your stay. Whilst our pool is heated, the fact that it is an open air pool means that it often feels much cooler. I do apologise for the lack-lustre service you experienced in this instance. This is certainly not the level of service we aim to provide and the managers of each of the areas you mentioned have been addressed to prevent a recurrence. I thank you for your frank appraisal and trust you’ll give us the opportunity to win back your confidence next time you come to Glenelg.

Reviewed November 4, 2011

This hotel is a little dated but still very pleasant to stay in.

Our initial check-in experience was great. The concierge was a little prone to wandering off so we ended up parking our own car (and later hailing our own taxi) but the front desk staff were very pleasant. The lovely man we spoke to was very apologetic about not being able to get us into a sea view room, despite our booking only being for a city view room!

We stayed on the 7th floor, and the room was ENORMOUS. Seriously, it was more like a suite. The view, while not of the sea, was nice.

We had a package including breakfast which was great.

The pool and balcony surrounding it are a huge asset to the hotel. We bought fish and chips and ate them on the balcony looking out over the beach which was great.

We would definitely stay here again as the location cannot be beaten.

Dear Guest,

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the view from one of our city view rooms. Most of our guests choose ocean view rooms but they miss the twinkling lights of the city at night and the sun rising over the Adelaide Hills in the morning – a very pretty outlook. Next time you stay you might like to order a meal from room service to eat on the pool deck. That way you don’t have to leave the pool! Thank you for taking the time to provide your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Raj Kakarla

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenelg
Oaks Plaza Pier Apartment Hotel
The Playford - MGallery by Sofitel
Stamford Plaza Adelaide
Stamford Plaza Adelaide
#15 of 56 in Adelaide

Been to Stamford Grand Adelaide? Share your experiences!