“An Undesirable Experience”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: New restaurant
Reviewed November 24, 2013

On 16 Oct 2013, a party of my friends (18 of us) and I visited the Eden Glenelg restaurant in Adelaide.
After being seated, we noticed that the restaurant was not busy and only about two other tables were occupied. The waitress greeted us and explained the specials to us. We occupied two long rows of table.
After ordering our mains we had to wait almost 30 minutes before the entree arrived. The individual plates of the entree was placed at the head of the long table where it was supposed to be cut up and passed down the line where each one of us had to take a tiny bit to 'wet' the lips. I have NEVER before had this kind of treatment in any restaurant , let alone one which boasts of 'fine dining'.
Finally when the mains arrived after a much long awaited anticipation , I was appalled to see that I was served a terribly blackened charred piece of what was supposed to be my steak. (photo above). My friend who was seated next to me also was served a burnt steak but mine was beyond description! I questioned the waitress but she didn't respond and walked away. My friends and I tried to get her attention but she didn't respond. We then saw the manager and beckoned to him. He put on a long sulky look and told me that the meat was fine. He said that was grilled on wood and once it's cut it should be fine! I then proceeded to cut it with some difficulty in front of him ( as it was very tough). He didn't say anything and walked away. We then called the waitress and she said she will check with the kitchen . After at least fifteen minutes, she came back and reluctantly informed me that I could choose another main meal. However, time didn't permit as my friends had all finished their meal and the transport was waiting for us. (I wonder why it took so long for them to come to that decision) . That being the situation , I had to make do with a strawberry pie which I shared with my friends in order to save time.
I left the restaurant totally disappointed and hungry wowing never to step into it again.
What was supposed to be an enjoyable and memorable dinner, turned out to be a complete let down.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We ate here about 6 weeks ago (Sept 2013) and I was a little apprehensive as I had seen mixed reviews, however we were blown away! The food was amazing and service excellent. When I asked for a cocktail I was advised they don't have a list so I could just tell them anything I want or what kind of flavours or alcohol I like or even just what type of mood I was in and they would make one to suit! I ended up having one of the 3 they were promoting and it was sensational. The wine list is seriously impressive and we were given quite special attention to assist with choosing a wine as we were a little overwhelmed at the huge choice. Ended up trying something we had never heard of and probably never would have otherwise tried and it was great. I can't rave enough about the food, everything we ate was so delicious. I also think for what you get it is reasonably priced. Obviously it isn't cheap, however I think there is value for money in the food and service you receive. Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We have been to Eden a few times now so probably time to review it

as usual the food and drinks were excellent, a solid wine list and bartenders able to make fantastic cocktails

We also enjoyed the live music which added to the overall atmosphere

My advice is to try Eden next time you at the bay and it is best to book

1  Thank SthOz
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We really have nothing good to say about this restaurant. After been seated our waitress greeted us with the menus and explained the specials to us (party of 4). She was very attentive to us to begin with since we were the only ones there at the time but that was to quickly go downhill.

After ordering our mains and wine we waited almost 40 minutes for our food to arrive and the restaurant was not busy especially when we were told that could we arrive earlier at 12.00 am since they had a party of 30 arriving at 12.30 who indecently were a no show!

Finally the mains were served. I ordered the gnocchi served with mushrooms and beurre noisette, unfortunately for me this was the worst gnocchi that I have ever eaten. They were like bullets on the plate with very few mushrooms and no sauce (beurre noisette) to enjoy. At $28 I was so disappointed even though it was served as a main the serving portion was more in keeping with an entrée.

My husband and our male friend ordered the special, Roast of the Day which was salt bush lamb served with Yorkshire Pudding and vegetables. My husband said it was ok but to me it looked too rare. Our male friend was unable to eat his as it was so undercooked he had to send the lamb back to be cooked more which then came back after been fried off in a pan (not a roast after all).

Our lady friend had the 250 gram steak with potato wedges and was pleased with it but really for the price they could have provided either a serving of vegies or salad without having to pay extra for it.

Not once after our meals were brought to us did the waitress return to our table to pour more wine or to replenish our water. Nor did she ever come back to see if we required anything more such as drinks or desserts/coffee. I finally had to go up to the public bar to ask for the account and that took more than 15 minutes to arrive and they didn't return to take my payment so I again had to go to the bar to pay.

We had expected so much more from this restaurant after having read the reviews but were so disappointed and embarrassed to have our old family friends from interstate to have this experience in our home town of Adelaide.

Next time I will cook my own roast lamb as charging $34 for something such as a roast and being less then perfect is just outrageous! Do yourself a favour and go elsewhere. We were originally going to go to Zucca and now wish we had.

i

1  Thank Watson_Inc
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

I have nothing bad to say about this place! Such a welcome addition to the fast food, tourist-focused rubbish and generic pizza-pasta-steak cafes. Fine dining in a funky atmosphere. Beautiful food every time. Cool but not at all pretentious staff. Not a bargain option but foodies will find it great value. Eaten here many times and have loved every dish so far. Congrats Chad and team.

1  Thank WiningPom