“Very Disappointed” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Eden Dining Room and Bar - CLOSED

Eden Dining Room and Bar
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: New restaurant
Adelaide
“Very Disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We really have nothing good to say about this restaurant. After been seated our waitress greeted us with the menus and explained the specials to us (party of 4). She was very attentive to us to begin with since we were the only ones there at the time but that was to quickly go downhill.

After ordering our mains and wine we waited almost 40 minutes for our food to arrive and the restaurant was not busy especially when we were told that could we arrive earlier at 12.00 am since they had a party of 30 arriving at 12.30 who indecently were a no show!

Finally the mains were served. I ordered the gnocchi served with mushrooms and beurre noisette, unfortunately for me this was the worst gnocchi that I have ever eaten. They were like bullets on the plate with very few mushrooms and no sauce (beurre noisette) to enjoy. At $28 I was so disappointed even though it was served as a main the serving portion was more in keeping with an entrée.

My husband and our male friend ordered the special, Roast of the Day which was salt bush lamb served with Yorkshire Pudding and vegetables. My husband said it was ok but to me it looked too rare. Our male friend was unable to eat his as it was so undercooked he had to send the lamb back to be cooked more which then came back after been fried off in a pan (not a roast after all).

Our lady friend had the 250 gram steak with potato wedges and was pleased with it but really for the price they could have provided either a serving of vegies or salad without having to pay extra for it.

Not once after our meals were brought to us did the waitress return to our table to pour more wine or to replenish our water. Nor did she ever come back to see if we required anything more such as drinks or desserts/coffee. I finally had to go up to the public bar to ask for the account and that took more than 15 minutes to arrive and they didn't return to take my payment so I again had to go to the bar to pay.

We had expected so much more from this restaurant after having read the reviews but were so disappointed and embarrassed to have our old family friends from interstate to have this experience in our home town of Adelaide.

Next time I will cook my own roast lamb as charging $34 for something such as a roast and being less then perfect is just outrageous! Do yourself a favour and go elsewhere. We were originally going to go to Zucca and now wish we had.

i

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Watson_Inc

Adelaide, Australia
“Best restaurant in Glenelg by far”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

I have nothing bad to say about this place! Such a welcome addition to the fast food, tourist-focused rubbish and generic pizza-pasta-steak cafes. Fine dining in a funky atmosphere. Beautiful food every time. Cool but not at all pretentious staff. Not a bargain option but foodies will find it great value. Eaten here many times and have loved every dish so far. Congrats Chad and team.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank WiningPom
Colchester
“Amazing food, terrible service but redeemed a little at the end!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I visited Eden last night for our wedding anniversary after hearing good reviews. Our table was for 8pm but when we arrived it wasn't ready, no major issue but a little annoying to stand waiting for 15 mins.

After being seated we were given menus but no wine list. We asked for one and were then left with it for 30 mins. Finally 45mins after we arrived our order was taken and we tried to chat while waiting. Be aware that this is a bar AND restaurant and plays very average music at a reasonably high level not too much of an issue for us but may annoy others.

Our starters came relatively quickly and were beautiful. I have perfectly cooked scallops my husband broccolini. Then the wait for our mains began, we waited and waited and waited. Sitting right in front of the pass the chef was clearly anxious we hadn't been served but it still took a full hour for our mains to arrive. By this time we had had enough and skipped dessert.

When I spoke to the manager I have to say that be was very apologetic. He took a side dish of our bill, gave us both a drink and then a voucher to return with telling us to call ahead so they could ensure we were looked after. I nice come back but from a situation that shouldn't have happened.

With 60 covers and 3 wait staff this should be an easy show but the wait staff are all over the place and seem to lack proper direction. We will go back because the food is amazing but just be aware that Eden seem to have good nights and bad!

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Adelaide, Australia
“Adelaide's own Garden of Eden by the sea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

It's believed that when God created Adam and Eve, they lived in the Garden of Eden. For many medieval writers, the image of the Garden of Eden also creates an ambience of love for couples.

Let me introduce you to Adelaide's own Garden of Eden, the Eden Dining Room and Bar at the Marina at Holdfast Shores Glenelg.

Just a short walk up the boardwalk and you'll find 'Eden' on the left. Overlooking the marina, the outdoor dining area is dimly lit, complimented by candles on the tables creating a tranquil atmosphere.

Walking into 'Eden' the ambience felt serene amidst the burning candles, luminating lanterns and lush green vines entwined around the restaurant's decor. Ocean views while dining on comfy lounges with oversized pillows or the bar area give a more 'relaxed' dining feel. I chose to dine in the restaurant, a perfect area to book as a small group.

I was greeted by charming manager Chad Hanson who immediately made me feel welcome, offering me a drink while showing me to my table. I was served a beetroot and goat's cheese shot, the other - a special 'Eden' mix - both were perfect starters.

I was willing to sample most of the dishes on offer with a degustation style dinner accompanied with wine. All produce is sourced fresh, locally and cooked to give your taste-buds a real shakeup. These were smaller serves of the mains, the attention to detail in the presentation was immaculate. You can taste and visually see the produce is premium quality top of the range, and the chef blending fresh ingredients giving each dish its distinct flavour. I realised why I will never be able to cook anything similar in my life. This is definitely a chef who is very experienced with many years in the industry, clocking up thousands of hours in a kitchen to create the perfect dish. And every dish was - perfect.

The whole tasting experience was so exquisite, every dish was delicious. It was interesting to hear from Chad how each one was prepared and created to bring out the best flavours.

As I looked around I noticed a room off the dining area with wine bottle racks and about half a dozen stainless steel tanks. Was this the restaurant's cellar? On asking Chad I was fascinated when he explained it was the restaurant's "Blending Room".

The tanks hold around 100 litres of wine that he sources from local winemakers with whom he's developed good relationships with. Diners can also experience a journey of tasting and then blending their own wine to accompany their food. No need to drive out to a winery - it's right here at 'Eden', not far from the city.

So passionate is Chad about the 'Eden' experience, that he's built an in-house aquaponics system where he grows fresh leafy greens to use in the kitchen.

The Sunday Roast is proving to be a winner for 'Eden' with many gathering on Sundays to enjoy his Suffolk milkfed lamb, seasonal vegetables, roasted potatoes, Yorkshire pudding and mint sauce.

Research has shown that we need to do something different from time to time for good health and well-being. If your taste-buds have been tempting you lately, take them to Eden Dining Room and Bar. They'll love you for it.

• Visited May 2013
5 Thank AussieTraveljourno
Flemington, New Jersey
“Quality casual dining at the Marina”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

We enjoyed our evening with family at the Eden Dining Room. The staff were friendly and helpful and the menu was interesting. My rib roast (prime rib) was succulent and was served with mini carrots and a variety of vegetables that were better than I had experienced elsewhere, fresh and cooked just right.

• Visited March 2013