“Amazing food, terrible service but redeemed a little at the end!”
Review of Eden Dining Room and Bar - CLOSED

Eden Dining Room and Bar
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: New restaurant
Colchester
“Amazing food, terrible service but redeemed a little at the end!”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I visited Eden last night for our wedding anniversary after hearing good reviews. Our table was for 8pm but when we arrived it wasn't ready, no major issue but a little annoying to stand waiting for 15 mins.

After being seated we were given menus but no wine list. We asked for one and were then left with it for 30 mins. Finally 45mins after we arrived our order was taken and we tried to chat while waiting. Be aware that this is a bar AND restaurant and plays very average music at a reasonably high level not too much of an issue for us but may annoy others.

Our starters came relatively quickly and were beautiful. I have perfectly cooked scallops my husband broccolini. Then the wait for our mains began, we waited and waited and waited. Sitting right in front of the pass the chef was clearly anxious we hadn't been served but it still took a full hour for our mains to arrive. By this time we had had enough and skipped dessert.

When I spoke to the manager I have to say that be was very apologetic. He took a side dish of our bill, gave us both a drink and then a voucher to return with telling us to call ahead so they could ensure we were looked after. I nice come back but from a situation that shouldn't have happened.

With 60 covers and 3 wait staff this should be an easy show but the wait staff are all over the place and seem to lack proper direction. We will go back because the food is amazing but just be aware that Eden seem to have good nights and bad!

• Visited August 2013

Adelaide, Australia
“Adelaide's own Garden of Eden by the sea”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

It's believed that when God created Adam and Eve, they lived in the Garden of Eden. For many medieval writers, the image of the Garden of Eden also creates an ambience of love for couples.

Let me introduce you to Adelaide's own Garden of Eden, the Eden Dining Room and Bar at the Marina at Holdfast Shores Glenelg.

Just a short walk up the boardwalk and you'll find 'Eden' on the left. Overlooking the marina, the outdoor dining area is dimly lit, complimented by candles on the tables creating a tranquil atmosphere.

Walking into 'Eden' the ambience felt serene amidst the burning candles, luminating lanterns and lush green vines entwined around the restaurant's decor. Ocean views while dining on comfy lounges with oversized pillows or the bar area give a more 'relaxed' dining feel. I chose to dine in the restaurant, a perfect area to book as a small group.

I was greeted by charming manager Chad Hanson who immediately made me feel welcome, offering me a drink while showing me to my table. I was served a beetroot and goat's cheese shot, the other - a special 'Eden' mix - both were perfect starters.

I was willing to sample most of the dishes on offer with a degustation style dinner accompanied with wine. All produce is sourced fresh, locally and cooked to give your taste-buds a real shakeup. These were smaller serves of the mains, the attention to detail in the presentation was immaculate. You can taste and visually see the produce is premium quality top of the range, and the chef blending fresh ingredients giving each dish its distinct flavour. I realised why I will never be able to cook anything similar in my life. This is definitely a chef who is very experienced with many years in the industry, clocking up thousands of hours in a kitchen to create the perfect dish. And every dish was - perfect.

The whole tasting experience was so exquisite, every dish was delicious. It was interesting to hear from Chad how each one was prepared and created to bring out the best flavours.

As I looked around I noticed a room off the dining area with wine bottle racks and about half a dozen stainless steel tanks. Was this the restaurant's cellar? On asking Chad I was fascinated when he explained it was the restaurant's "Blending Room".

The tanks hold around 100 litres of wine that he sources from local winemakers with whom he's developed good relationships with. Diners can also experience a journey of tasting and then blending their own wine to accompany their food. No need to drive out to a winery - it's right here at 'Eden', not far from the city.

So passionate is Chad about the 'Eden' experience, that he's built an in-house aquaponics system where he grows fresh leafy greens to use in the kitchen.

The Sunday Roast is proving to be a winner for 'Eden' with many gathering on Sundays to enjoy his Suffolk milkfed lamb, seasonal vegetables, roasted potatoes, Yorkshire pudding and mint sauce.

Research has shown that we need to do something different from time to time for good health and well-being. If your taste-buds have been tempting you lately, take them to Eden Dining Room and Bar. They'll love you for it.

• Visited May 2013
5 Thank AussieTraveljourno
Flemington, New Jersey
“Quality casual dining at the Marina”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We enjoyed our evening with family at the Eden Dining Room. The staff were friendly and helpful and the menu was interesting. My rib roast (prime rib) was succulent and was served with mini carrots and a variety of vegetables that were better than I had experienced elsewhere, fresh and cooked just right.

• Visited March 2013
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Top Notch”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Although not a massive menu this turned out to be good thing. All the food chosen was cooked to perfection, menu advice was on the nail as was the suggested wine. Service was very attentive without being imposing. I would love to return unfortunately the holiday is too short

• Visited March 2013
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Superb menu & outstanding wine list with someone to advise you who really knows about good wine”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

On our one day visit to Glenelg we were fortunate enough to find with great restaurant Excellent menu choice and a superb wine list with advise from someone who really knew the wines in stock. Relaxing surroundings and a beautiful view of the harbour with 1st class service - an all round diners delight.

• Visited February 2013