“Excellent food, great atmosphere.”

The Strand Cafe Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 175 Restaurants in Glenelg
Cuisines: European, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Over the years, it has become an icon to the Glenelg locals. The Strand prides its self on maintaining a high quality and consistent level of hospitality. The Strand welcomes all customer. It is friendly and relaxed, which is evident with the large amount of regular clientele it attracts. A diverse menu offering breakfast, lunch and dinner seven days a week.
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Have just had a great meal at the Strand restaurant. The pasta with blue swimmer crab, vodka & cream was amaising. I went for the main course which was just $3 more than the entree size and there was enough for 2 people. It is a busy place and quite noisy, but the atmosphere is great. There are plenty of good wines to choose from, all around the $30-35 a bottle mark. My Husband had the salt & pepper squid which was also very good.

Reviewed August 11, 2011

We dined on a Wednesday evening, and the Strand was about 2/3 full.

Service staff were attentive on arrival and in providing drinks.

Everything changed after the food orders were taken about 15 minutes later. From that time, we waited....and waited.....and waited.

Almost an hour after ordering, the service staff apologised for the delay (caused they said by the cafe "being so full"). They added that "the chef promised the food would be served in 7 minutes"? We were offered a small bread basket to stave off hunger.
It was more like 10 minutes later that the orders started being delivered.

What was precise - because I checked my watch - was that food began arriving one hour after the orders had been taken. But for some, it was even longer because food delivery was spread over the next 5-10 minutes (ie, some friends were well into their meals before others had them delivered).

In terms of the food itself, I had prime steak, medium rare, cooked perfectly. But the quality was "average": a bit dry and slightly grisly. (It compared poorly indeed with a less expensive steak savoured at "Outback Jacks" at the Marion, Oaklands Park, a week earlier).

Those across from me had salmon - which was acceptable but only came with "high fat" sides (potatoes, creams, etc). My wife, sitting directly opposite, would have wished for a salmon frmo Jacks Fish Cafe (next door to the Strand).

The person next to me had a risotto, and 2/3s of the way through the meal was forking her meal and complaining that most of what remainded was onion.

Unfortunately, this meal was consistent with my previous experience of the Strand about six months earlier: inordinate delays for an average meal. I promised myself then not to return, but couldn't avoid coming back because I wasn't the organiser! But I've promised myself again not to come back!!

Reviewed July 20, 2011

Pasta was gluggy and had to much garlic. Service was excellent.

1  Thank SmallParakeet
Reviewed October 21, 2008

Cafe Strand has a good broad menu, each time I have been there I have been served promptly and by friendly staff. It's a busy fast paced cafe, so don't expect a nice quite place to eat. If you like seafood try the calamari, really nice dish.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Adelaide
Reviewed August 30, 2008

Disappointing for a cafe that has won accolades

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook