“Poor service”

Ranked #63 of 329 Restaurants in Toowoomba
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Went for lunch on a Saturday, not very busy, ordered the Mussels which is a signature dish, was asked if I wanted the side of bread or chips, I opted for the bread, which consisted of one dinner roll. My companion ordered a main with vegetable, the vegetables never arrived and we had to ask a couple of times. All in all the meals were ok but the service did lack. There was also a terrible odour in the bar area. I would definitely not recommend this to friends.

2  Thank Michael L

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Had dinner here with wife.

Was great food, took a average waiting time and staff were great.
Wish there was more choice in menu.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

This Hotel is friendly, service, food the best in Toowoomba
I have been going there for over ten years and I take business colleagues there at every visit. One chap from Sydney was sad after retirement that he would no longer be a regular

Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

My daughter and I had decided to try the spotted cow as we had not been there before I was disappoint from the start as my daughter is a vegetarian there was nothing on the menu that you would say that could be a main meal well after that I head to the bar to get our drinks I stand waiting for about 5 mins when two other gentlemen walk in and stand waiting at the bar and who do you think gets served first that's right the other gentlemen that had just walked in I am telling you you would have to pay me to go back there the staff needs to be changed or trained right let alone the menu updated.

3  Thank Batlowkid2
Reviewed September 6, 2012

If your dining experience goes wrong at the Spotted Cow beware, the owner who was present last night has the worst approach to service that I have ever seen in a restaurant any where in the world, and I travel a lot.
We went for a simple meal of a shared bruchetta and two pizzas. A series of little things started to go wrong with the meal from the beginning. None were important in themselves and a bit of care and attention to us could have put it right at any moment.
We had to wait ten minutes for the drinks we ordered to find they did not have that brand. She offered us a beer menu but 5 minutes later they did not have one. I got up and ordered a different beer because we were fed up with waiting. The beer came in bottles without glasses. They got glasses.
The bruchetta was dry and came only on one plate although we clearly said we were sharing. When we pointed out that the bruchetta needed more olive oil, the waitress said she would tell the chef and walked off. It was an open plan kitchen and she went nowhere near the chef. Perhaps she told him later. When the main course arrived a different waitress delivered it. She had no idea which pizza was which and had to go and check. Finally one of the pizza bases was black and over cooked.
We were asked how the meal was by the waitress. I said I was disappointed with the service and with the pizza which was burned. I said I did not want to pay for my pizza. The pizza was half eaten.
This is where the owner’s restaurant policy kicked in. You either had to pay for each item as you ate it or you could have a tab. We opted for a tab. The waitress told us that the restaurant had a policy of no refunds on food once you had eaten part of it. Remember they have your credit card. We asked for the manager who duly came over. He turned out to be the owner. We turned the two pizzas over and showed him the burned base of one and the non burned base of the other. He told us we were wrong he sold lots of pizzas like that. He then went on to tell us that lots of people were out to get a free meal and that was why he insisted on his payment policy. His attitude incensed us both. He was insinuating that we were out to get a free meal. He also said we had been rude to his staff and that we had found fault with everything. He then personally took the full amount of money from us whilst continuing a tirade on why he was right and the customer was wrong.
I have written reviews on trip advisor before- all have been very positive. I do not criticize without thinking about it. Beware if anything goes wrong with your meal at the Spotted Cow - the owner is right the customer is wrong. Having looked at the other reviews on trip advisor it seems things are much better sometimes, perhaps we were unlucky.

5  Thank Deezy_12