“S0 many ways to improve”
Review of Weis Seafood Smorgasbord - CLOSED

Weis Seafood Smorgasbord
Cuisines: Seafood, Australian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Buffet, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating
Queensland
“S0 many ways to improve”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Weis Seafood Smorgasbord is a Toowoombs institution once much revered by locals and visitors alike. We have visited regularly since I was a small child. In Toowoomba for a short visit, we visited as a family.

What a let down! The selection was very limited. The hot meats offered a processed pre-cooked pre-carved beef roast and pieces of roast chook as well as ribs, barramundi and a stew. Salads were the usual. And what happened to the famous dessert buffet? A few slices and pre-prepared individual tarts do not a make an inviting selection . Seafood was also very average.

The decor is very tired. Napkins are paper and the cutlery looks straight out of the Coles cafeteria circa 1974.

I couldn't believe the price we paid.

This place is trading on its good name from years gone by. Does it deserve to? No.

Visited January 2014
4 Thank LibbyE8
Shana R, Public Relations Manager at Weis Seafood Smorgasbord, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to Weis.

We take your comments seriously and are taking steps to improve the quality of our valued customers' experience. We are addressing the issues you have raised with members of our staff and management.

We would like another opportunity to show you the true Weis experience. Please contact us on 07 4632 7666 to arrange a special offer for your next visit.

Yours sincerely

Weis Restaurant

Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia
“Seafood Buffet”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

The prawns were lovely but I felt there was not enough variety of seafood available on the night. The hot food was nice, but again not a selection that suited me. Each time I have been to Weis's I feel their food has always been of an average selection and 'just a restaurant' and not as exclusive as it was years ago. I felt for the price the value wasn't there.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank HarryAndrea
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your visit to Weis.

We are disappointed that you did not feel that the food was up to the standard that is expected. We have taken your comments seriously and have taken steps to ensure that we continue to improve.

We would like to see you again at Weis. Please contact us on 07 4632 7666 to arrange a special offer for your next visit.

Yours sincerely

Weis Restaurant
Dalby, Australia
“Terrible not even worthy of a rating”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I like so many others that have rated this restaurant have visited it many times in years gone by with great satisfaction but on 31st December 2010 ( I know this is a while ago but going on the reviews they haven't improved ) decided to visit again. Walked in and were told someone would be straight over to give us a bread and take our drink order, waited half an hour and went to reception again and were told the same thing, after waiting another half hour went to the bar and got our own drinks and decided to check out the food. The seafood was a joke the prawns were definently farmed or imported maybe both, there was no mud crabs or bugs and anything that was there was absolute crap. When finished our well below standard meal we went to pay and were informed that it was $69 per head, well I was so disgusted but did not want to upset my wife by ranting so just paid the bill and walked out never to darken their doorstep again.

Visited December 2013
5 Thank Scott S
“Over priced and scabby looking smorgasbord”
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Took my workers here for a Christmas dinner as I had been here several years ago and enjoyed myself . I was planning to have the smorgasbord but on on inspection the prawns looked tiny and stale , the crab was the processed stuff you buy from supermarkets , no bugs and the presentation was poor the decor is drab and the place is generally rundown , no water on the tables the waitress although friendly was uninformed about the menu . Which is suprising as all it consists of is steak , pork chops or salmon .
In summary I was disappointed . I think this place is relying on its reputation . It is also fairly expensive . I would not recommend this place to anyone .

Visited December 2013
4 Thank Hugh S
mtlofty
“attention management”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Weis Seafood Smorgasbord. The name says it all. If you are serious about continuing the tradition of the restaurant you need to keep it simple and do it well. Ask yourself why do people choose you - freshest seafood (prawns and oysters primarily), homemade desserts, old fashioned Toowoomba hospitality (friendly, fast, efficient). Lovely old home - you need to refurbish in the style of the era. Often chosen for a special occassion (other wise if they want to fill up they can choose Sizzler). You have a niche market that needs to pay the price set to keep this standard up. If you start to deviate from this market (eg. breakfast, cooked to order steaks, fish and chip shops ) you can't look after your core business. You have a lot of work ahead of you if you want to compete with the quality of eateries that Toowoomba now offers and the high expectations the dining public has. You have a prime site that could easily be turned into another tourism venture (gifts, art gallery, boutique dining, accommodation) if you are looking for an alternative idea for this beautiful house and location. I think you are overwhelmed and exhausted by the restaurant scene and need to look at your position and not hide from the known. There might be a bit of publicity in the short term because of the demise of Weis Restaurant but honestly, the dining public don't have the loyalty they once had 30 years ago and the name Weis Restaurant will be remembered fondly as a once great Toowoomba restaurant. Remember Lord's, Smithfield, Clifford House all have tread your path. Good Luck if you continue but unfortunatley, it is no longer on my list of recommendations for visitors to Toowoomba.

• Visited December 2013