“Overpriced Sizzler”

Cuisines: Seafood, Australian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I visited this restaurant approx. 17 years ago & loved it. On a recent business/family trip to Toowoomba 3 of us went to the restaurant. Staff were friendly but a tad inexperienced. Seafood was ok (this is what they promote) and the rest of it was poor. At $69 per head you really expect more. I'm sure when I first visited 17 years ago the buffet was in a much bigger area & was much better stocked and everything looked v tired & jaded. A real shame because the setting is lovely but would I go back - no. Sorry couldn't recommend.

3  Thank Denise B

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I and my friend take each other to Weis's for our birthdays. The most recent time was this Friday for J's birthday. The cold seafood was the best I've had in decades. The bugs were sweet. The yabbies delicious - better than I've tasted. Even better than the ones we caught as kids. The oysters tasted fresh from the sea. I haven't tasted bugs so good in over 20 years. The prawns and crab were of a consistent high quality. I had many plates full.
The salads were basic and fresh and I ate these sparing, saving my room for the seafood and deserts.
The many bite sized tarts and delicious deserts are a feast for sore eyes and a taste sensation.
We also love our cocktails but could the restaurant offer Fruit Tingles please? That's our favourite.
My friend and I were both regularly taking by our parents to Weis Seafood Smorgasbord when we were children. J from Brisbane and myself from Warwick. We have both lived elsewhere in major cities and moved to the Toowoomba region this past 4 years. And the past 4 years I have been coming to this restaurant for my birthday.
Weis seafood smorgsbord is a treasure in the region. I went to a well known Brisbane seafood restaurant and it was dearer and not a patch on Weis restaurant for quality seafood. The quality of the food here is always very good and this last visit (and one last year) was excellent for me.
I'm looking forward to my birthday visit coming up.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Last night, we drove over an hour to go to the Weis restaurant. At a cost of $69 a head, I expected more. In our time there, a number of incidents occurred. There was a cockroach on our table - we called the waitress to assist and she did (this waitress was very good with both her customer service and general attitude) and told us to let the person at the counter know when we went to pay. We did. We were given an apple juice free and told that "it must be time to fumigate again" and that "no more could be done". On our first round at the buffet, the chef was complaining and swearing loudly in full view of the customers. He equally loudly said sorry for the language. My husband mentioned he enjoyed the barrimundi and was sad there wasn't more. The chef explained to him that it "wasn't worth cooking more" for the time remaining that the restaurant was opened (about an hour). I put aside a number of prawns that were very unfresh, most of the salads were bland and cheaply done and the bugs were average at best. One of the (also good) wait staff also mentioned to the chef in earshot of the diners that the roast vegetables and meat was dry and looked dehydrated (he was right). The dessert bar was fine. While the nice setting did not improve the food, the chef or the cockroach and the wait staff (particularly Vicki) tried hard to make up for it with the customer service, we will never be returning there and will be actively discouraging others to dine there.

4  Thank Alesia T
Reviewed September 1, 2013

The staff were very helpful and attentive after being seated. However the initial greeting was not so friendly.

It was pretty crowded around the buffet but you have to expect it considering it's a small house and most people dining there are in groups and they tend to fetch their food at the same time.

I am gluten intolerant and found the range of available food VERY limited. For mains I was restricted to a custom order of beef and pork belly, there was also plain rice and fresh seafood on the menu. That was the blandest lunch I had ever been offered. There were a range of gluten free deserts but they consisted of fudge, creamed rice and baked custard. I believe I did get a bit sick from cross contamination of food but you have to expect that from a buffet. For those gluten free people that enjoy seafood, you obviously can resort to that menu option.

I wouldn't choose to go there again as a bland main meal and two small desert servings aren't worth $50 and the crowded wait.

2  Thank JustinS_Aus
Reviewed August 29, 2013

It was a 50th wedding anniversary of some old and dear friends that dragged us from Brisbane to this quaint home turned restaurant in Toowoomba. Admittedly we had been there over 15 years before but had faint memories to its popularity with the locals. So we turned to Tripadvisor for an update and were shocked at the number of bad reviews, So we braced ourselves to be unimpressed. But Mum always said, ''The proof of the pudding is in the eating.''
This Saturday night, the place was packed. And yes, the place is still quaint, in an older world (generation) sense. The party of 21 was seated at two long narrow paralell tables in a just adequate sized room with a fireplace. After a few 5 minutes, the young Asian waiter finally understood what we meant when we asked for 4 bottles of wine, 2 red, 2 white and each a different style.
Once the guests all arrived for kisses & hugs we got stuck into the smorgasbord. There was creamy seafood soup and plenty of fresh looking oysters, Bugs, prawns and even mussels. There were your basic salad choices, beer battered fish, chips, beef cheeks, and fish fillets, pork belly, and others I forget but tasty looking. The dessert counter didn't have as many pies & cake choices as my wife remembers but the Black Forest was delicious as was the other sweets.
Honestly, I must give Weis' restaurant the benefit of the doubt and credit in serving a traditional style of smorgasbord that is hardy without the fancy gourmet touches the ''Trendoids'' from Brisbane expect. Weis's knows its demographic, it is country by nature and country by taste. Bravo!

1  Thank DrFrank