“Beautiful Historic Vacy Hall”

Vacy Hall Toowoomba's Grand Boutique Hotel
Ranked #2 of 18 Toowoomba B&B and Inns
batley
“Beautiful Historic Vacy Hall”
Reviewed September 27, 2010

Absolutely superb, a unique experience. We stayed in the Gilbert Cory Suite which is just fantastic - King size four poster, original rolltop cast iron bath, swing chair on verandah, beautiful fireplace. The service is brilliant, we thoroughly enjoyed our breakfasts on both mornings served to our private table on our verandah. The porridge is amazing!!! Graham is attentive and made sure we knew everything about our room etc. We had arrived expecting to have to pay for breakfast extra, but that was included as well. Angelo's Italian was a great recommendation from graham.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BatleySrilanka

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 23, 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights with my family and now husband on the weekend of our wedding. It was a fantastic place to stay! The characteristic and charm of the guest house is hard to beat. It set the scene for what was a fabulous weekend. Graeme (the host) did a fantastic job to accommodate us and at times our unique requests, such as gaffa tape for the ribbon to attach to the cars. The feel of Vacy house was so lovely, old world charm and beautiful gardens. Can't thank you enough Graeme for a fantastic weekend, thank you for looking after us.
Agi

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Wagga Wagga, Australia
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Book for a couple of days at Vacy Hall and experience Toowoomba and the Downs. A must di is Gips Restaurant for the ultimate dining experience - great service by a very skilled young crew who just spoil you. Breakfast at Vacy Hall with a compulsory porridge to start. Excellent

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Graham M
Canmore, Canada
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Beautiful old heritage home with all the modern expectations. My boyfriend and I arrived at Vacy Hall on a trip to Toowoomba for a job interview. As soon as we arrived our stress of the drive and the day to come melted away. It was an escape back to the prosperous beginnings of Australia. Our room was lovely: a comfy queen bed with luxourious duvee and pillows, bed canopy, antique wooden furniture, fireplace, rain-head shower...
It was the little things that made the stay so comfortable; big fluffy towels, bath robes waiting in the beautiful tall-boy, tea and bikkies.
We had an amazing breakfast served to us on the varrandah with the morning sun shining on the fine silver. The service was OUTSTANDING at Vacy Hall; Graham was warm and helpful and Lizzie was a meticulous housekeeper who makes the best porridge I've ever had.
This place is more than a hotel or a bed and breakfast...I would recommend it as a destination.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Ipswich
Reviewed July 23, 2010

My husband and I have just enjoyed the most wonderful time at Vacy Hall. Let me see first our appreciation must go to the team who had made out time at Vacy Hall memorable. We stayed in a queen room for a couple of days then decided to go back and stay in a large suite. Graham thank you for your time answering all of our questions and being a most gracious host. Liz, we thankyou for the tastiest porridge we have ever tasted and for your happy personality we give you an A+. Leanne, our thanks to you for answering the many questions we put to you. We loved your trendy galoshes and for a personality even the morbid couldn't ignore.

Now we should mention the memories Vacy Hall has now entrusted to us. The most beautiful home which houses some of the most elegant beds I have ever seen. The fire places with flames that get you in and set the scene for the night ahead. The comfy chairs to a warm welcoming clawfoot bath filled with warm sudsy water. The wide hall ways filled with memorbillia of a bygone era. Oh if only...... oops the kettle has just boiled I will now sit and enjoy the memories I have of Vacy Hall. By the way we have booked again for our wedding anniversary. But hey this is my story, yours is waiting to be written.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank smiley6a
Sydney
Reviewed July 6, 2010

My husband, mother and myself had the pleasure of staying at Vacy Hall during June 2010.

It is a beautiful, historic building, that allows you to "step back in time, and pace". The rooms are beautifully decorated, with comfy chairs and beds, and architecture to just sit and be astounded by. The crackling of the fire that evening, added to the overall relaxation and soothing experience.

Graham was most welcoming, informative and well informed of the house, and the area. We look forward to the future when we will enjoy another stay at this marvellous place!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Buderim Queensland Australia
Reviewed May 16, 2010

If you are looking for value for money forget Vacy Hall. Breakfast extra at $25.00 per head and the manager was abrupt and could not be less helpful.

I had booked for a room with a bath at a certain price. Was told it was no longer available and the only one with a bath was $225.00 per night without breakfast.

When asked where the guests lounge was I was told down the hall. (I was not shown)

We stayed at lovely accommodation in NSW and Victoria and it was disapointing to come back to our home State of Queensland and be treated so casually by the host.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Patricia053
, Owner at Vacy Hall Toowoomba's Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2010
Dear Trip Advisor Contributor

Thank you for choosing Vacy Hall Historic Guesthouse for your visit to Toowoomba, and for taking the time to post a review on the Trip Advisor site.

Whilst appreciative of the time and trouble you have taken to share the impressions of your stay, I was very concerned to learn of your disappointment, and apologise for this visit not being as enjoyable as you anticipated.

On this occasion I will disagree with your remarks for the benefit of those who may be inclined to believe them as I do not believe your comments represent the wider view.

I recall the specific circumstances of your recent visit. While you were disappointed that the room you had booked was not as you expected, I responded immediately to your concerns and resolved the issue for you by organising (at your request) a slightly more expensive large luxury suite with a bath (in the only room I have that has one). At no time were you told that the room you had originally booked had a bathtub so this was obviously a misunderstanding that I quickly rectified in your favour.

I’m sorry that you don’t think I was friendly enough or welcoming but I did everything I possibly could to make you (Patricia and your husband Paul) feel welcome at Vacy Hall.

• I was onsite and waiting for you in the office,
• I introduced myself and greeted you with a smile,
• I walked you to your room,
• I explained the features of your room,
• I saw you were unhappy,
• I quickly and willingly resolved the issue of the lack of a bathtub,
• I took you to your new room and explained the features of that room too,
• I didn’t engage with you over breakfast as you chose not to have breakfast and
• I spent 10 minutes with you prior to your departure on suggestions and directions for plant nurseries to visit on the way home.

Your review indicated that the suite you stayed in did not represent value for money but I have good reason to suspect this was more your issue with the fact that breakfast was not included in the price rather than the quality of the room. Lonely Planet’s Queensland Travel Guide takes a contrary view and recommends Vacy Hall Historic Guesthouse as their pick of the places to stay in Toowoomba.

My success is based on repeat business and referrals from satisfied guests many of whom have been coming here for over 25 years on a regular basis. The features of the suite I provided to you typify what people value and appreciate about Vacy Hall:

• Heritage-listed grand colonial architecture and a room of very grand proportions,
• double-hung cedar casement windows (with privacy shutters) that open directly onto two verandahs
• cedar bay step-through window seats of exquisite quality
• beautiful polished crows ash timber flooring with antique rugs
• a King-size antique cast-iron and brass antique four-poster bed with a canopy,
• large open working fireplace set with kindling and firewood and an original antique mantelpiece,
• central Heating in winter
• comfy armchairs in front of the fireplace,
• fresh and tasteful soft furnishings (both curtains and upholstery)
• a range of beautiful antique and period furniture and
• en-suite bathroom with an antique claw-foot bathtub and a separate shower
• resident owner and host attending to guest issues 24 hours a day
• comprehensive room amenities to ensure your comfort.

This is a room that has accommodated over 600 honeymoon couples in the past 25 years, thousands of people seeking a little bit of historical indulgence, numerous Heads of State, State Governors, Governors General, Chief Justices, Chiefs of the Defence Force, many Government Ministers, academy award winning Actors and billionaires – it is one of the finest grand historic hotel rooms in Australia and many guests have commented that they believe that it is extraordinary value for money at $225 per night.

At Vacy Hall I have an unbundled approach to pricing breakfast which has been in place now for over 15 years. Some guests want to do their own thing, some want a light continental breakfast and others want to splurge and indulge with a leisurely cooked breakfast on the verandah off their room in the morning sun. This approach means that people who don’t want breakfast don’t have to pay for it and people who only want a light breakfast can pay a lesser amount.

I’m sorry you did not enjoy your stay and I wish you well in your travels.

Graham Higgins