“Beautiful House”

Vacy Hall Toowoomba's Grand Boutique Hotel
Ranked #2 of 18 Toowoomba B&B and Inns
“Beautiful House”
Reviewed December 5, 2011

This is a beautiful house in a great location. There are many excellent restaurants a few minutes walk away.

The room is very comfortable though without mod cons. I wouldn't expect them for a historic house. We had our own bath room but it was across the hall.

We lit the fire even though it wasn't very cold.

I loved the porridge for breakfast.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front are spacious but cost a bit more.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Duane W
GrahamAlfred, Owner at Vacy Hall Toowoomba's Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Thank you for positive review on your recent stay at Vacy Hall Historic Guesthouse.

I'm glad you enjoyed our central location in a quiet historic preccinct of the Toowoomba CBD where we are situated amidst over an acre of beautiful gardens.

Vacy Hall has recently been included in the book "Great Australian HIstoric Hotels" published by Allen and Unwin and it is a constant balancing act trying to maintain the historic integrity of Vacy Hall while balancing that with the demands of the modern traveller.

Staying at Vacy Hall is like time travelling and I'm glad you enjoyed your step back in time and I look forward to your next visit.

With best wihes
KInd regards

Managing Director - Vacy Hall Pty Ltd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We stayed at Vacy Hall when we attended a Wedding in Toowoomba. The property is gorgeous, lovely grounds, beautiful gardens - roses and hydrangeas in full boom - quiet location and the rooms were large and plush, with comfortable beds. The only downside was that you have the use of a private bathroom but it's down the hall. No good if you need to get up in the middle of the night to use the powder room or in my son's case having use the toilet to purge some wedding food that didn't agree with him. We were paying the same price as a two bedroom apartment in the CBD of Melbourne where you wouldn't have to use the bathroom down the hall

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on your recent stay at Vacy Hall Historic Guesthouse, we really do appreciate the feedback on your experience.

We are glad you and your family loved the acre of flowering gardens (with roses and hydrangeas in bloom - the agapanthas and Jacarandas have now joined them), the quiet and central CBD location, and the large grand and individually decorated rooms. We are also pleased you found our antique cast iron and brass beds so comfortable.

As a heritage-listed property we are sometimes constrained by what we can do and we have a constant balancing-act when it comes to maintaining the historical integrity of the building on one hand and the expectations of the modern traveller on the other. In your case, the room you stayed in was originally the drawing room of the Cory family home ... and I'm sorry it was inconvenient for you to walk six metres to your bathroom but it is just not possible to configure that room differently without upsetting the historic fabric of the room.

From your comments it would appear that you agree that we get it right most of the time ... and this is reflected by our recent inclusion in the book by Allen and Unwin titled "Great Australian Historic Hotels", being recommended by Lonely Planet as their pick of the places to stay in Toowoomba and our ongoing high ratings on Tripadvisor.com

In terms of value - I think it very difficult to compare a stay at Vacy Hall to small city apartment in Melbourne. I suspect there were features about your Suite that would not have been available in an apartment such as a large antique working fireplace set with a supply of firewood, beautiful cedar joinery giving direct access to a verandah with your own private table and chairs and surrounded by flowering shrubs in an acre of CBD gardens in a beautiful historic heritage-listed building furnished with antiques and period artworks.

We hope you can see past the historical limitations and embrace the opportunity for a step back in time next time you come and stay at Vacy Hall Historic Guesthouse in Toowoomba.

With best wishes

Managing Director - Vacy Hall Pty Ltd
Kingaroy, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I came to Toowoomba on a work trip so my employer booked accommodation, i had no idea what to expect but was quite amazed when i walked into possibly the most beautiful accommodation i have ever stayed in! I had to take photo's just to brag to my husband at home! Thanks Graham for your great hospitality. I would love to come back and stay again, hopefully next time for a little longer.

The only downfall was that the bathroom could have been a little bigger but everything else made up for it.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 6.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Travelled on business trip but felt like I was on holiday. Place is charming, it is filled with a sense of grace and history. If you are after high tech sleek this isn't for you but if you want to step back to a kinder gentler place and pace don't hesitate.
The host is a hoot, and the ladies are just lovely. Don't forgo the morning porridge served by Lizzie !
No ghost but the occasional bump in the night was explained by my slightly sardonic host as "Labrador sized possums".
I will definitely return if only to sleep in the four poster bed and drink coffee in the amazing gardens,

Room Tip: If having an ensuite is critical for you as it was for me make sure you get a room with one,
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Joy W
maleny
Reviewed October 4, 2011

simply one of the most pleasurable short stays we have experienced.
superb atmospheric accommodation and friendly exchanges from greeting onwards.

Room Tip: don't worry-you can't miss
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Vacy Hall is a beautiful old building, well maintained, with sweeping corridors and antique furniture, an ever-present smell of beeswax and feel of Australian history. So old by Australian standards -- halfway through our history -- you accommodate things like the noisy turning of keys in distant keyholes and heavy footsteps on floorboards in the early hours of the morning, as some other guest moves from his/her bedroom to the separate bathroom/toilet.
You may expect even more. Vacy Hall was built by a man named Gilbert Cory. His grandmother had been a lady-in-waiting to Napoleon Bonaparte’s wife Josephine. And his son, unhappy at the prospect of returning to boarding-school, shot himself (with his father’s gun) on the verandah of Vacy Hall: there are rumours and reports that, on quiet and dark nights, his ghost haunts the verandah and corridors. All very romantic, … but don’t ask the owner about it, … as we did: he dismissed the myth peremptorily, aphoristically and petulantly. His response, though, may have had something to do with the fact that we had booked our room through ‘Wotif’; and that, believing the Vacy House breakfasts were overpriced, we decided to find something more reasonable in one of the many cafés in downtown Toowoomba

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank TheOldiesBrisbane
GrahamAlfred, Owner at Vacy Hall Toowoomba's Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2011
Dear Tripadvisor Reviewer,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on your recent visit to Vacy Hall Historic Guesthouse. I am glad you enjoyed the sense of history and charm during your recent visit.

I’m also glad you enjoyed one of the stories about the "ghosts" of Vacy Hall.

However I don’t think it’s fair of you to be critical of me because I have a different view of ghosts to you. I agree that it could be perceived as a romantic story but in my opinion it is also a very sad story. I have known people who felt so disconnected from their family and friends that they felt the need to take their own life, and know first hand the sense of loss of the people left behind. Whilst the thought that these tortured souls may linger in a ghostly form appeals to some people as some sort of romantic idea, I am not one of them. On the contrary I would say I am a cynic when it comes to these matters but I appreciate that others are believers (and I am totally respectful of your right to believe).

As a former journalist I enjoy story-telling and I have had a few “stories” told to me over the years. One of them was most insightful and I’ll share it with you. Several years ago a very spiritual man stayed at Vacy Hall. I was told by some of his friends that over the years he has assisted a number of priests to banish evil spirits that had attached to them after they had performed exorcisms. So you would expect that he would be aware of any ghostly presences at Vacy Hall. When I asked him about the spiritual energy around Vacy Hall he said “Vacy has a very positive feel, there are no bad spirits here.”

I have had no personal ghostly expereinces after nearly 8 years of ownship and Lizzie who has been part of Vacy Hall for the past 28 years - after living here with her young family has no experiences either - so apart from the fact that it is a good story, it is very hard for me to give the ghost stories any credibility.

I don’t agree with your perception that our breakfast is expensive and I would like to shine some light on that comment. We have a two-tiered approach to breakfast because we believe this gives people more flexibility to choose what suits them.

Continental Breakfast is $15 and includes the following;

Choice of cereals including Corn Flakes, Wheat Bix, Sultana Bran, Our own Swiss Muesli and our famous Hot Porridge with a dollop of brown sugar (made the same way for over 25 years). Choice of Fruit Juices including Orange, Pineapple, Tomato, and Apple Juice. Choice of Beverages including a range of Teas including herbal options (served in beautiful antique silver teapots) and Fresh Plunger Coffee (with Decaf and Soy milk options too). Bakery Selections including Thick White Toast, Thick Wholemeal Toast, Thick Raisin Toast, Oven fresh Croissants and Gluten Free Toast options. A selection of spreads including Strawberry Jam, Honey, Vegemite and Mrs Barlow’s award winning Marmalade. Our breakfasts can be delivered to your room on an antique trolley or served either on the verandah off your room or the verandah off the guest lounge (tables have fresh flowers and beautiful napery). Most guests who have had our breakfast comment on how wonderful it is and what great value it represents.

The Full Cooked Breakfast which costs $25 per person and includes all of the continental options above with the addition of the following hot cooked meal options which can adapted to accommodate guest preferences or food intolerances:

Vegetarian Scrambled Eggs light and fluffy with spinach, and melted fetta cheese, served on Turkish toast and garnished with roasted pine nuts and fresh chives.

Button mushrooms sautéed with fresh herb butter served on Turkish toast to mop up the juices. Herb butter includes Australian garlic, fresh thyme, sage, & parsley from our own herb garden.

The Full Monty – Two soft fried farm fresh eggs served with a bacon rasher, a country style pork apple and sage sausage and oven roasted tomato.

Eggs Benedict – Two lightly poached eggs served with a thin slice of leg ham atop a toasted split English muffin and covered with a rich homemade hollandaise sauce

In my experience, if I was to purchase this at any nearby café I would probably pay between $32 and $40 (for all the components listed above) so I don’t believe our breakfast is expensive – on the contrary I believe it is extraordinarily good value for money and served in a beautiful setting.

Thanks for your feedback on Vacy Hall and I look forward to your next visit.

Best wishes
Owner – Vacy Hall Historic Guesthouse
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Thanks for a lovely, organized and pleasant stay, Graham. The combination of atmosphere, great service and a lovely location/setting made for a very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed September 2011