“Memorable Stay”

Vacy Hall Toowoomba's Grand Boutique Hotel
Ranked #3 of 18 Toowoomba B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Our stay at Vacy Hall was definitely a memorable one. We were charmed by the hall and its history, its rooms, the gardens and the accommodating staff, not to mention the central location. The little bygone relics placed appropriately around the hall helped to feel as though you had gone back to the 1850's. Recommended without hesitation. Nicole, Nathan & Madi

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Vacy Hall Toowoomba's Grand Boutique Hotel

Reviewed September 11, 2011

My husband and I have been staying at beautiful Vacy Hall for over 20 years now, and we held my husband's 50th party there, booking out the entire place. Our friends were charmed by the history of Vacy Hall too. We also use it as our private getaway for those special weekends and we always find the rooms to be so clean (they smell so fresh with wood oil and polish!) and always snugly warm with the central heating. Gotta love a historic accommodation bedroom that boasts your own fireplace!

Graham is always a generous host, welcoming us and making sure every is just so.

You must try the porridge; it's divine! I love how it's been decorated and furnished, with each antique piece lovingly dusted and polished; it's our home away from home. One time we went there and I joked to Graham that I loved Vacy Hall so much "I'd even polish your silverware!" and when we returned from our lunch, there was a beautiful old silver teapot, complete with polish and rags. I laughed so hard! (and yes, of course I polished it!) Loved the sense of humour.

Love Vacy Hall. You’ll love it too!

Room Tip: OUr favorie rooms are the 2 front rooms, love the bay windows and curtains.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patty B
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Just a word of advice when making a booking on the internet for this B&B. If you are under the impression that you are booking a particular room because there is a "book this room" button next to each individual room description, you will be sadly disappointed.

My husband and I specifically chose a particular room for our anniversary only to find that we had been allocated another room. I only discovered this after ringing them directly to clarify which room had actually been booked as it wasn't stated on the printout.

We decided that this was a type of false advertising and rang the owner/manager to cancel our booking. I explained to him that the website needs to be amended, but he was quite dismissive and rude. He made no attempt to apologise or admit a problem. Frankly, if that's the way he speaks to guests who have constructive criticism, I'm happy we're not staying there now.

We also thought that having to spend extra for breakfast was a bit rude too. As far as we were aware, when you advertise a B&B, the price of the room should actually include the cost of the breakfast. Obviously, this owner doesn't have a problem selling his rooms to guests. These guests perhaps didn't book via the internet.

His attitude has left a bad taste in our mouths. We will be telling everyone we know about his rudeness and advising them to stay elsewhere.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank fluffyboots
Grazzza, Owner at Vacy Hall Toowoomba's Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2011

Feedback is always welcome – we thrive on it. It’s the only way we can attempt to meet guest expectations. We are constantly responding to little suggestions like this one from guests about elements of our service offering that might need to be tweaked to improve the experience for others.

Our commitment to exceeding customer expectations has been recognised by our inclusion in the book “Great Australian Historic Hotels” by Barry Stone published by Allen and Unwin in 2010. We are also proud of Lonely Planet’s recommendation of us as their Pick of the places to stay in Toowoomba and our ongoing high ratings as an accommodation provider in Toowoomba on www.tripadvisor.com

Over the last 25 years we have sold over 50,000 room nights of accommodation to a diverse group of guests ranging from people escaping the kids for a quiet night away through to heads of state, billionaires and academy award winners actors and no-one else has found the way we sell our rooms online “misleading”. I feel the unhappiness of this guest may stem from the fact they couldn’t get the specific room they wanted because someone else had booked it first – but we had allocated their reservation to a comparable room. Sadly it was not what they wanted – and they were not willing to compromise.

Like every other accommodation provider who has multiple rooms we group rooms by type for online sales to avoid having a huge long list from which to choose. 60-70% of our room sales now occur online. This reviewer chose not to stay and called to cancel their booking after speaking to a new junior reservations staff member taking one of her first calls. They did not seem interested in discussing the issue - they called to cancel. Unfortunately it is not possible to please all the people all the time.

We consider ourselves to be a Historic Guesthouse but there isn’t a category for our type of accommodation so some people incorrectly assume that because we are listed under the B&B category, that we include breakfast. Breakfast is unbundled so people who want a light breakfast can pay less than those who want to start the day by relaxing on the verandah with a full cooked breakfast and those who don’t require breakfast don’t have to pay anything. This is made clear at the time of booking.

Please be aware this review was written be people who did not stay and did not want to stay. I do appreciate them drawing to my attention their perceptions of the website booking process and will attempt to remove the elements they found confusing with the new website which is currently under development. I wish them well.

Reviewed July 24, 2011

This was a most beautiful old home, restored to perfection. The room we had was delightful with a King sized four poster bed equiped with electric blankets and a lovely crackling fire. I loved the old world ambience, it was like stepping back in time. Everything was spotlessly clean and the breakfast was wonderful. The only thing I found to be unpleasant was that our host and I guess the owner of the house was in a very grumpy mood for some reason. A smile would have been a nice welcome. I needed two extra cups for my guests that evening and asked another gentleman working there whether I could have some. He directed me to the kitchen and then left me to get my own. When the owner saw me in the kitchen with the cups he blasted me in front of other guests which was very unpleasant. It certainly made me feel like a schoolgirl caught stealing something. A shame because it spoilt a lovely night for me.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brianreid2
Grazzza, Owner at Vacy Hall Toowoomba's Grand Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2011

Dear Tripadvisor Reviewer

Thank you for choosing Vacy Hall Historic Guesthouse for your visit to Toowoomba, and for taking the time to post a review on the Trip Advisor site.

I am glad you enjoyed the larger and grander room which I upgraded you to at my expense on your arrival. In my opinion, the combination of a King size antique cast-iron and brass bed, with an open fireplace with big comfy armchairs in front of the fire makes for a charming experience.

I also appreciate the time and trouble you have taken to share the impressions of your stay, I was very concerned to learn of your disappointment and apologise for the experience not living up to your expectations.

I was surprised that one of my team directed you to get your own extra cups from the kitchen. This surprise certainly shouldn’t be perceived as me being “grumpy” towards you. I encourage my team to have a strong service ethic – and was disappointed by this lack of follow through. Also as part of our commitment to professionalism we consider our kitchen to be back of house and therefore it is not a space where one expects to encounter guests looking for extra cups. I have used your feedback as a positive opportunity to discuss the need for all the team to respond to guest requests thoroughly.

I apologise if you thought my surprise and disappointment was directed at you. I did not intend to make you feel bad or to cause you any embarrassment.

With best wishes
Graham Higgins
Managing Director – Vacy Hall Pty Ltd

Reviewed July 17, 2011

Modern motels and hotels can be so impersonal, they all look the same. However, Vacy hall is a great old building , quirky charm and I would recommend it to anyone. I stay in hotels a lot through work and this is one I would certainly recommend

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We stayed at Vacy Hall bed and breakfast for business and a small get away for my husband and myself in June, 2011 of this year.

When we arrived we were not disappointed, a beautiful, statley home, surrounded by manicure english gardens greeted us..upon arriving we were promptly shown to our room and give a run down on the amenities etc, we found our host to be knowledgeable, helpful and chatty without been annoying. He was there if we had a question or information without being interfering, infact we felt we were the only people there..even though the place was full!

We stayed in the Emperor Suite, with a king size brass bed and canopy - views of old english gardens, out of lovley large bay window - and the best feature, one large, roaring fireplace, that crackled delightifully and gave a beautiful glow through out the room and we were toasty warm - even though there was central heating through out the room/house.

We chose to have breakfast brought into our room and promptly a trolly with silver service was brought into our room, piping hot delicious coffee, porridge (home made and delicioussssss recommended) hot toast ( large thick slices) with home made marmalade and jams ( generous serves) needless to say we were very full after breakfast and thoroughly enjoyed it.

all in all - we would be back! central to town, shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sylvia2006
Reviewed June 30, 2011

My wife, daughter and I decide to go to Toowoomba for a quick break but where to stay? A quick skim of the internet turned up Vacy Hall's website. It looks great on the website but you have to go there to appreciate the place. It really takes you back to a bygone era.

Graham, the owner, directed us to a great Italian restaurant for lunch that was within walking distance. After a great lunch we headed back to our rooms at which were clean, comfortable and decorated in a period style that you rarely experience in this day and age.

I thoroughly recommended it for those looking for something different and memorable.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family