“Business Weekend”

Burke and Wills Hotel
Ranked #8 of 43 Hotels in Toowoomba
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I went to Toowoomba with my wife to meet up with some people about a possible business opportunity.

Having never been to Toowoomba, I found the Burke and Wills really centrally located, with nice rooms - it's worth looking at the superior/executive rooms.

For the purpose we went, this was an ideal place to stay

Room Tip: Ring and ask for room prices - and see if you can get a some sort of upgrade without having to pay t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Burke and Wills Hotel

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Burke and Wills Hotel has the best location...Close to shopping eg Grand Central, down town shopping.

The staff are very accommodating, they always make you feel as though you are their only guests.

We ate at bistro the menu was limited but the food was delicious! Of a morning we had a full breakfast in the Conservatory, here the menu was extensive! The delicious as always.

All in all, I would highly recommend the Bourke and Wills as the place to stay in Toowoomba.

Arienne

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We had a group of about 20 of us and had dinner here, the menu is quite good and everyone found something to eat, there were no complaints about the food and the service was great, it was a Tuesday night so very quiet and they allowed us to do what we wanted. Thanks

Overall a great place for a feed.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I stayed at the Burke & Wills for 1 night in May after my partner surprised me with the Indulgence package. We were spoilt with a large spa suite and balcony. Our welcome was very warm and friendly, we received free wi-fi cards and a free drink each on arrival. We ordered our platter with reception for 7pm and proceeded to our room. Upon arrival at our room we found a comprehensive "indulgence" package with lotions and potions, bath robes, slippers and even a pumice! Our room was large with a king bed, balcony, TV, large bathroom with a spa bath. 7pm on the dot our platter and wine arrived. We enjoyed lunch at Burke's Bistro the next day as we had a 12pm check out included with the Indulgence package. Food was plentiful with large portions. We had a great stay at the Burke and Wills Hotel and look forward to coming back! :)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This is the place everyone stays in Toowoomba. My Husband stayed here when he rep-ped. The Leader of the Opposition stayed here the night I was in town too. Everyone I know has stayed here. And I don't know why.

It runs out of car parks.

Breakfast was a bad buffet and you had to ask fro horrid coffee that was DRIP!

No bath tub.

It must have been glamorous once, but it does not seem that way now.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Donnalea B, General Manager at Burke and Wills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you for your honest review! We understand we are not to everyone's tastes, but do strive to offer a comfortable and enjoyable stay. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service and believe that we offer our guests excellent value for money. In relation to your comment regarding the bathtub - we do have rooms that have a bathtub - please advise our reception staff if this is your requirement. We are currently addressing the carparking issue, with our intention to reduce the number of rooms at the hotel and also re-design our ground-floor kitchen to increase carparking availability. Our breakfast staff are also more than happy to make our guests espresso coffees - again...please feel free to ask!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed at the Burke & Wills Hotel on a Saturday night as I needed to see a customer in Toowoomba...My partner who is employed in the tourism trade on the Gold Coast booked the accommodation & we were suitably impressed by our room & the staff who were polite & helpful..
We were advised that a "bond"of $50 would be held along with my credit card details (no problems so far)..after spending a comfortable nights sleep it was time for us to depart & we went to the reception desk to check out...From this point forward we struck problems..first of all the attendant had a problem finding our card with our details (including my credit card details)...So,they took my credit card details AGAIN and assured us that they would sort it out after we had gone..The next day (Monday) I checked my bank account to see if they had been true to their word only to discover that they had taken DOUBLE the money for our accommodation & that the "bond"was not $50 but $200...This was backed up by my bank..... When I went to see my bank in regard to the matter (as I thought it was a bank error) they advised that this was not the case and it appeared to be most irregular..My partner contacted Burke & Wills Hotel on several occasions during this debacle to be told that they would ring her back but there again we were let down...Finally on Wednesday (4 days later) the money owing to us had been released & the problem was rectified (what takes 4 days????)..and she has still not heard back from the Burke & Wills Hotel...My point is to make travelers aware if staying more than one day they obviously take the full amount of your stay plus $50, making life for the thrifty traveler & families a difficult proposition..and what about customer service & apologies???..They don't seem to know the word....

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Simon H

Thank you for your feedback. I was made aware of these concerns upon my return from leave and have addressed this matter directly with the customer involved and again offer my apologies. I can appreciate the frustration and disappointment experienced and have taken steps to ensure such matters do not occur again in the future. Just to clarify the Security deposit process for any other potential guests - we require a pre-authorisation on checkin for the accommodation plus an additional $50 for incidental charges such as meals, drinks and telephone calls for each day of a guest's stay. We then process a completion of sale at checkout. If the accommodation is pre-paid, we only require the $50 security deposit for incidentals. I hope this helps.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We called through for lunch recently, never been there before, so we thought we would give it a try.
The staff in the bistro were lovely, very friendly, which always makes you feel comfortable.
Surroundings clean and comfortable, meal was the typical hotel meal, prices good.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business