“Beware of security bond”

Burke and Wills Hotel
Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in Toowoomba
queensland australia
“Beware of security bond”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We were advised on arrival of a $50 bond which as in the accommodation business knew this can occur, but were not aware they took the amount of our stay plus a further $50 as a bond, so if staying for a longer stay your available money would be withheld for the length of your stay.
Not only were we not advised of this but on departure had lost our details, details containing our credit card information, they then tried to take the whole amount of our stay again, our card wouldn't go through so took our details again, to take later advising us when taken by email. This email didn't happen until prompted by a second phone call.
So not only did we have our money held in a bond but the money was then taken again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Brisbane
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We chose Burke and Willis for it's location (smack bang in the centre of town) but were a bit wary of the quality due to some of the reviews. We need not have worried, our stay was fantastic. The staff were unfailingly excellent, nothing was too much trouble. We turned up at 5pm on the Saturday of Queen's Birthday weekend and were immediately offered a top floor room. Some reviewers have commented that the hotel is a bit tired but I quite liked it's faded charm. If you want bland and beige book in at the apartments next door. Even though dated, our room and the hotel in general was spotlessly clean. Our bed was super comfy, the linen of beautiful quality, plus comfy and warm. We didn't try the food but room service prices were very reasonable. We ordered a bottle of wine and it arrived almost immediately. We also received a voucher for 2 drinks in the bar, parking is free and Wifi was complimentary which is a rarity these days. So a big yes for location, value with quality. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Donnalea B, General Manager at Burke and Wills Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for your Review! I'm happy to hear that you not only found our CBD location convenient, but also that our staff made your stay enjoyable. We are aware that the "faded charm" will eventually need an update, and are currently working on this. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Burke and Wills Hotel soon. Thanks again.
Launceston
Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Humble abode, with a comfortable bed. Friendly staff, and a drink voucher. I didn't have breakfast so I can't comment. No complaints. There was sufficient parking. It is centrally located in the heart of the CBD. This was a business trip, so it met all the criteria, which isn't that difficult to meet. I have previously stayed at the central apartments, and chose Burke and Wills and I would choose to stay here in the future because it was better.

It has an old world atmosphere which is preferred because of its more relaxed atmosphere.

I would recommend it for a business stay.

Would I stay here on holiday?.. Probably not because I would be in my campervan.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jimsullivan S
Bulls, New Zealand
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Tastefully decorated and slightly posh! Booked the spa room with the king size bed. Great food. Lovely and clean. Helpful staff. We had booked our 2nd night in another town, however we cancelled that and re-booked here instead. Dinner in the bistro (not so posh, but good value and good food) and breakfast in the Hotel restaurant. Again, good value and good food.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paula W
Toowoomba, Australia
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I booked in for a wedding anniversary. The Venue was close by so I walked to and from. I parked my car and that 's where it stayed all weekend as the Hotel is centrally located in the city and the shops and shopping centres are with in walking distance.

When I arrived was greeted with a lovely smile from the reception staff and they also gave me a drink voucher to use which was nice, the bar and bistro is casual or if I wanted I could have used the formal one near the restaurant where I had a nice b'fast the next morning.

I have another function to attend in the next few months and I can tell you now that I will be staying at the Burke and Wills Hotel again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I recently stayed at the Burke & Wills Hotel in Toowoomba. This is an aging hotel and my stay was based upon a group discount negotiated for a reunion I attended.

The hotel is centrall-located and a short walk to anywhere you wish to go in Toowoomba, so location is not a problem at all.

The parking lot has signs warning people of birds roosting in the trees and that their droppins might damage vehicles. Super. But... this is the parking lot! If the spaces are not viable due to wildlife, invest in some form of cover - because when the lot is full, you will have to park under a tree. I took my car through a carwash the next day, and this did NOT remove all of the bird poo.

When my wife and I arrived, we were given a complimentary voucher for two drinks at the hotel bar. I went down to the bar on my own and got a drink and the barman smiled as he took the card from me, but didn't immediately notice it was a double drink voucher. I asked for my 'change' (expecting the '2' would be scribbled out and a '1' written in), only to have the barman fetch the bar manager and be told that 'we don't do that'!

So, I'm no expert, but it seems to me that of all the things in the realm of 'possible' to 'impossible', amending a complimentary drink card is closer to the former. Particularly since the intent of such a card is to give the guest the feeling of being appreciated by the hotel. Add to this, the fact that I only had a post-mix glass of Coke, not even an expensive alcoholic drink!
The bar manager gave me a couple of proposals, including taking a second drink immediately (I was only in the bar to kill 15 mins or so until the bus to our reunion arrived), or to order the drink now for whenever I might be back to drink it (but it occurred to me that if they can't handle a pen amended card, how on Earth are they going to remember who I am when I come back for that drink?!). In frustration, I told them it was too hard and walked away.

I raised the matter with staff when I checked out the next day, but they too have kinda been brainwashed into thinking you can't pen amend a piece of cardboard.

Whatever the aim of the free drinks is, you have failed Burke & Wills, totally. Was it 'hospitality'??

Oh, and the 'Executive' room is VERY small and has views of .... nothing, and the elevator is VERY, VERY slow to get to the foyer. I ended up bringing my own porta-cot for my daughter because they asked an additional $16 for them to provide one. I have found this to be free in other hotels. I also arrived with a few pieces of luggage (including our porta-cot) and the only luggage cart thing was not in the foyer. When I asked reception about it, the girl shrugged and said it must be somewhere, but gave no hint that she might be prepared to look for it or have someone help my wife and I take our bags to the room (I should add, if the porta-cot hasn't clued you in, that we were also carrying an infant). Lastly, the rattling plumbing was loud enough to wake me. I wouldn't usually care too much about things like plumbing in an old hotel, but I am on a roll now...

On a positive note, the bird-ridden carparking is free and my wife used room service to get some milk for our daughter while I was at my reunion, and she says the room service staff were lovely and very helpful.

We won't be back to the Burke & Wills.

Room Tip: Rooms in another hotel might be a good choice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sxwilso
Donnalea B, General Manager at Burke and Wills Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed that some of the staff let you down during your stay. I attempt to instill a "nothing is too much trouble" attitude in all of the staff, but it seems that on this occasion, this was not the case and I have spoken to the staff directly involved with this guest's experience and provided them with some hints on how they should have handled this situation to achieve a very different outcome for this guest.
Regarding the bird poo...yes - we display signs as a courtesy to advise the guests of the risks involved with parking in certain spaces (there are 4 spaces that are affected). We have tried a number of techniques to deter the birds from roosting in the trees and have also investigated "netting" the trees however, none of these options has had a satisfactory outcome. The only other option would be for removal of the trees and replacement with a species that does not attract wildlife and we are currently investigating this. I will be sure to pass on your suggestion of covering the parking spaces to the owner of the property as another option.
Our CBD location does mean there is little "view" however, this provides convenience to many of our customers, being close to medical, educational, entertainment and business precincts.
We acknowledge our Executive Rooms are smaller than most modern properties...one of the pitfalls of an old hotel! However, we are still looking at renovations in the next year or two to amalgamate rooms and provide more larger suites for our guests... This will also assist with the parking problem!
I am personally not aware of any hotels that provide cots free of charge, however take on board your feedback and I will do some comparisons between us and other properties.
I invite this guest to contact me directly if they wish to further discuss their concerns.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We booked in for a wedding. Close to the church, and the reception. We walked to both venues.
The car stayed in the car park. Centrally located in Toowoomba City.
I booked online. At booking I made a request that we would like an early check in due to the wedding time. I called on arrival in Toowoomba and I was told "your room was kept free last night, so it is ready for you anytime". What service.
Free drinks voucher for the bar. We had lunch in the bar too. Good pub food menu. Light and quick meal prior to going out.
Free WiFi.
Staff at reception very helpful with directions and services.
The hotel is old, but the rooms have been refurbished. Very clean and comfortable.
Small shower, but enough for a short stopover. Breakfast room - we did not eat here.
Tea/coffee and milk in the room.

Room Tip: We stayed on the southern side of the building - I only heard the City Hall clock at 7am, no other n...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple