“In the heart of the City”

Burke and Wills Hotel
Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in Toowoomba
Toowoomba, Australia
“In the heart of the City”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I booked in for a wedding anniversary. The Venue was close by so I walked to and from. I parked my car and that 's where it stayed all weekend as the Hotel is centrally located in the city and the shops and shopping centres are with in walking distance.

When I arrived was greeted with a lovely smile from the reception staff and they also gave me a drink voucher to use which was nice, the bar and bistro is casual or if I wanted I could have used the formal one near the restaurant where I had a nice b'fast the next morning.

I have another function to attend in the next few months and I can tell you now that I will be staying at the Burke and Wills Hotel again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I recently stayed at the Burke & Wills Hotel in Toowoomba. This is an aging hotel and my stay was based upon a group discount negotiated for a reunion I attended.

The hotel is centrall-located and a short walk to anywhere you wish to go in Toowoomba, so location is not a problem at all.

The parking lot has signs warning people of birds roosting in the trees and that their droppins might damage vehicles. Super. But... this is the parking lot! If the spaces are not viable due to wildlife, invest in some form of cover - because when the lot is full, you will have to park under a tree. I took my car through a carwash the next day, and this did NOT remove all of the bird poo.

When my wife and I arrived, we were given a complimentary voucher for two drinks at the hotel bar. I went down to the bar on my own and got a drink and the barman smiled as he took the card from me, but didn't immediately notice it was a double drink voucher. I asked for my 'change' (expecting the '2' would be scribbled out and a '1' written in), only to have the barman fetch the bar manager and be told that 'we don't do that'!

So, I'm no expert, but it seems to me that of all the things in the realm of 'possible' to 'impossible', amending a complimentary drink card is closer to the former. Particularly since the intent of such a card is to give the guest the feeling of being appreciated by the hotel. Add to this, the fact that I only had a post-mix glass of Coke, not even an expensive alcoholic drink!
The bar manager gave me a couple of proposals, including taking a second drink immediately (I was only in the bar to kill 15 mins or so until the bus to our reunion arrived), or to order the drink now for whenever I might be back to drink it (but it occurred to me that if they can't handle a pen amended card, how on Earth are they going to remember who I am when I come back for that drink?!). In frustration, I told them it was too hard and walked away.

I raised the matter with staff when I checked out the next day, but they too have kinda been brainwashed into thinking you can't pen amend a piece of cardboard.

Whatever the aim of the free drinks is, you have failed Burke & Wills, totally. Was it 'hospitality'??

Oh, and the 'Executive' room is VERY small and has views of .... nothing, and the elevator is VERY, VERY slow to get to the foyer. I ended up bringing my own porta-cot for my daughter because they asked an additional $16 for them to provide one. I have found this to be free in other hotels. I also arrived with a few pieces of luggage (including our porta-cot) and the only luggage cart thing was not in the foyer. When I asked reception about it, the girl shrugged and said it must be somewhere, but gave no hint that she might be prepared to look for it or have someone help my wife and I take our bags to the room (I should add, if the porta-cot hasn't clued you in, that we were also carrying an infant). Lastly, the rattling plumbing was loud enough to wake me. I wouldn't usually care too much about things like plumbing in an old hotel, but I am on a roll now...

On a positive note, the bird-ridden carparking is free and my wife used room service to get some milk for our daughter while I was at my reunion, and she says the room service staff were lovely and very helpful.

We won't be back to the Burke & Wills.

Room Tip: Rooms in another hotel might be a good choice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sxwilso
Donnalea B, General Manager at Burke and Wills Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed that some of the staff let you down during your stay. I attempt to instill a "nothing is too much trouble" attitude in all of the staff, but it seems that on this occasion, this was not the case and I have spoken to the staff directly involved with this guest's experience and provided them with some hints on how they should have handled this situation to achieve a very different outcome for this guest.
Regarding the bird poo...yes - we display signs as a courtesy to advise the guests of the risks involved with parking in certain spaces (there are 4 spaces that are affected). We have tried a number of techniques to deter the birds from roosting in the trees and have also investigated "netting" the trees however, none of these options has had a satisfactory outcome. The only other option would be for removal of the trees and replacement with a species that does not attract wildlife and we are currently investigating this. I will be sure to pass on your suggestion of covering the parking spaces to the owner of the property as another option.
Our CBD location does mean there is little "view" however, this provides convenience to many of our customers, being close to medical, educational, entertainment and business precincts.
We acknowledge our Executive Rooms are smaller than most modern properties...one of the pitfalls of an old hotel! However, we are still looking at renovations in the next year or two to amalgamate rooms and provide more larger suites for our guests... This will also assist with the parking problem!
I am personally not aware of any hotels that provide cots free of charge, however take on board your feedback and I will do some comparisons between us and other properties.
I invite this guest to contact me directly if they wish to further discuss their concerns.
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We booked in for a wedding. Close to the church, and the reception. We walked to both venues.
The car stayed in the car park. Centrally located in Toowoomba City.
I booked online. At booking I made a request that we would like an early check in due to the wedding time. I called on arrival in Toowoomba and I was told "your room was kept free last night, so it is ready for you anytime". What service.
Free drinks voucher for the bar. We had lunch in the bar too. Good pub food menu. Light and quick meal prior to going out.
Free WiFi.
Staff at reception very helpful with directions and services.
The hotel is old, but the rooms have been refurbished. Very clean and comfortable.
Small shower, but enough for a short stopover. Breakfast room - we did not eat here.
Tea/coffee and milk in the room.

Room Tip: We stayed on the southern side of the building - I only heard the City Hall clock at 7am, no other n...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed here overnight visiting toowoomba for the weekend dec 2012...when we drove up (as someone else had booked it)...i did have reservations as it looks totally dated from the outside...i stayed in the car whilst hubby checked it out...to my surprise inside better than it looks... we upgraded to a deluxe larger room on level 4...its was great for the price ...enormous renovated bathroom with spa bath...large king bed with deluxe sheets ...very very comfortable...close to everything...walking distance... in the centre of town...we had a fabulous weekend visiting countryside...gorgeous roses and gardens...country drives...and great wine and cheese at Bunnycollen Olives. estate....didnt try the bistro, but friends enjoyed a country breakfast...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! We realise the external appearance of our hotel is deceptive...and in need of an upgrade! I am glad to hear you were pleasantly surprised by what you found inside. We are not the most modern hotel in Toowoomba, but attempt to make up for this in charm and service. We look forward to welcoming you for your next trip to Toowoomba.
Brisbane
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Might look a little dated and worn, but the ambience and homely feeling once inside more than makes up for it. We overnighted here after a long trip from Emerald and whilst admitting to looking at the "flasher" joint next door we opted to give it a whirl. Glad we did.

Receptionist was lovely and matched the online rate we had found, check in was quick and efficient. Bar/restaurant was warm and welcoming - the beer and wine was cold (can't ask for much more) and the food was ample in server although the quality could probably do with a bit of improvement. Still, both plates were left clean so it can't have been too bad.

Staff were fine and friendly

Rooms were neat and tidy, free internet a plus (about time hotels started doing this as the norm)

Only complaint i would have is that the plumbing is extremely noisy in the night. There is a definite sound of water running through pipes etc to refill cisterns etc which is loud enough to wake you at times - probalby in tune with the age of the building

Would we stay here again - Yes

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here the first night of my honeymoon, of course my mind was on my wife. And my new life and the hotel brings back good memories. The staff were great from booking our wedding party to sending us away the following day after breakfast

• Stayed December 2012
Congratulations! Glad to have played our part in your enjoyment of your very special day. I truly hope we can welcome you back for anniversaries as the years go by. Our best wishes to you for your future.
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Desparately in need of the promised refurbishment, no restaurant to speak of as I don't count the bar based bistro as qualifying. Dark hotel rooms with darker decor and the smell of what someone is having for dinner permeating the hallways where wallpaper has become so depressed it can be seen to have given up its hold on the walls. Despite that, clean rooms albeit quite small. Good location in the centre of town, if that's where you want to be, where it doesn't seem to have any competition. No pool or gym. One night OK, after that we would have moved to a motel a little further out had we been staying on.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thankyou for providing your honest feedback.
We are coming up to 9 years since the last refurbishment of the Burke and Wills Hotel and as you rightly point out, our next one is due. The owners are currently making plans for this and I am optimistic that we will be able to deliver in the next year or so.
I am glad you found our location suitable for your stay on this occassion.