Highlander Motor Inn
Downs Motel(Toowoomba)
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsbase hospitalfree wifispa bathbedroom apartmentflat screentwo single bedsdefinitely stay here againthe managersrooms are cleanlounge roomvisiting toowoombagreat place to stayhome away from homebar fridgemain roadair concomfortable bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My sister and I enjoyed 5 days here in one of the 2 bedroom apartments. Although we didn't use the kitchen, it had everything one would need for cooking up a storm.

Sadly, the restaurant is now closed, but wonderful meals cooked on sight are delivered to the room.

I have stayed here twice now and would certainly return.

Room Tip: We had apartment 33 very well appointed.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
highlanderminn, Manager at Highlander Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

So glad you enjoyed your stay with us again this time.

Yes our chef does a wonderful job with the Noosa influenced menu and receives many complements from our guests. It's great to have the choice to either cook your own meals in the apartments' kitchen or to just dial up your order and have dinner and breakfast delivered to the room!

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Toowoomba.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed here just one night. We choose the Highlander based on Tripadvisor reviews

The good:

The staff were very helpful when we were there and with communications before we arrived
They allowed us one night when normally there is a minimum of two
We slept well
It is close to the town centre
Free Wifi*

The not so good

The units are far darker than what the pictures show [not the pics are with the lights on or with a flash].
The decor is very dated and not modern or contemporary and has a decided tried feel. The foot on our sofa had a broken plastic corner hanging out
The glasses were in the refrigerator ?! [the refrigerator could be cleaner as it had some dirt in it]
The towels for the kitchen etc although clean were very tired and in some cases had stains
The Internet had issues that night we stayed this was resolved 30 minutes before we checked out -somewhat frustrating
The children's playground had been recently removed due to cost of indemnity insurance

Now I want to note we had just come from staying in immaculate beautiful modern and contemporary 2 bedroom apartment in Caloundra [which cost less!] so maybe that puts my review in perspective

The Highlander needs to be freshened up and modernized and served it purpose for us. It maybe the 2nd best place in Toowoomba according to Tripadvisor but does not compare to what one gets on the Gold and Sunshine coasts

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank xlinknz
highlanderminn, Manager at Highlander Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2012

We appreciate your review of our property. All reviews provide us with a focus on how we can do things better to meet our guest expectations. Something that is important to us.

We are currenlty in the process of refurbishing and updating our apartments including new furniture, furnishing and flat screen TVs in the Master bedroom (they are already in the lounge area in all apartments).

Glasses are placed in the fridge (Aussie style) as many guests enjoy a cold glass straight from the fridge to cool off their preferred drink on arrival.

With our focus on trying to maintain high standards we hope that you will consider staying with us again next time you visit Toowoomba.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed here a few times (both in upstairs rooms and in an apartment) and loved it! The staff were incredibly lovely, the room service was great and I loved the experience 100%.
The rooms were clean, tidy and when I needed something like towels, it was provided right away. Once you are in your room you can not hear much from outside so I slept very well. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LilMunchkinHead
highlanderminn, Manager at Highlander Motor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

So pleased that our Motels and Apartments were up to the standard you wanted! Thanks for letting us know.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

Having to go to Toowoomba for a week in relation to my work, I wanted somewhere to stay other than just a motel room - I wanted to be able to spread out. I chose the Highlander Motor Inn and Apartments  and paid for a 1 bedroom Apartment. I couldn’t have been happier. It had a separate lounge – with 42” TV - dining area and a well provisioned, fully functioning kitchen (great oven with glass hot plates) which enabled me to cook my own meals on a couple of nights. For those nights when I didn’t want to cook, I was able to choose from their in-room dining Menu and the meals, delivered to my Apartment, were truly delicious. The furnishings in the Apartment were modern without being “glitzy”, and the King sized bed was to die for – a top quality pillow top mattress. As I travel a lot with my work,  a good bed is a prerequisite. This Apartment also had a spa bath which was a pleasant surprise, and which I utilized. The staff were all very pleasant and after a week, made me feel like one of the family. I would highly recommend this motel to anyone, and especially the Apartments if you need accommodation for an extended period.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JMarie63

Yes the apartments provide a relaxing space for corporate visitors. There are also two and three bedroom apartments for those travelling with a colleague. Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back next time work brings you to Toowoomba!

Reviewed May 11, 2012

Our second stay here, last time was 2010. Only one night this time but very happy to return there. The room (number 16 upstairs) was very spacious, clean and comfortable. Only one small criticism is the shower head doesn't spray the water too well, but not a major issue. Certainly not enough to put me off going back yet again when needed.
It was a social visit and we found it very relaxing , as before. Would recommend this motel to anyone with confidence.

There was very little traffic noise and the later it got the less I noticed it, slept well.

Room Tip: We usually ask for an upstairs room where possible when we go away anywhere. Usually less disturbance from slamming car doors, or when people tend to stop and have a chat late at night, often in front of your room !!!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple