“A Surprising Find” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Abyssinia Cafe & Restaurant

Abyssinia Cafe & Restaurant
Reserve with
Abyssinia Cafe & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 36 Restaurants in Mount Isa
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Brisbane, Australia
“A Surprising Find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

Our family (2 Adults and 2 Picky eating boys) had an enjoyable dinner at the Abyssinia Cafe. They have a wide ranging menu and the service was good (Irish too!). Restaurant was not cheap - but nothing is in Mount Isa.

Also handy to a great lookout for a pre dinner stroll at sunset. You can see the lights of the mine slowly come on. Ask at the info centre for details of the lookout - it's not the touristy one!

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank wills68

Mount Isa, Australia
“Absolutely beautiful Indian menu, don't go hungry tho as they take a while!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

Love love loveeee the food here, ill b honest, all the odds were stacked against it and we nearly walked out.. I'm glad we stayed because the food was to die for!!
I'm a die hard Indian restaurant fire and never expected anything like this here, granted its not to the standard of certain coastal places venue wise but infringe the food came it was a big surprise on the taste.
We ordered starters (myself and hubby) and they didn't have any left of either what we wanted to order, so we both picked something else each instead.. didn't have those either so we decided against starters & just ordered mains...
I asked for a glass of house wine as all the others needed to be bought by the bottle (hubby doesn't drink wine and id wanna go dancing after a whole bottle myself ha) ...so.. after 25 mins and no wine he called the lady (there were 3 tables including us there at the time.. so not busy..) and she proceded to get my glass of wine.. we watched as she poured a glass of goon (cask wine)for me... I'm not a snob but I'm not about to pay $8 for a glass of goon so told her I didn't want it. Another half hour went past at this point I'm nearly chewing my ARM off with hunger and getting a bit cranky, go to walk our til we see her coming...and oh.my.god...
It was beautiful.they take a while as each meal is prepared individually and its obvious in the taste. Such delicate flavours and perfect size portions (I like em so big I cant finish ha) . With all the bad things before .. the foods taste overtook the lot... I will return.. only maybe this time ill not leave such a gap between lunch and dinner !!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank antsinwonderland
“Mt ISA is expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

After being in Mt ISA for a few days I've come to the realisation that everything here is expensive. This restaurant is no different. I had a curry which tasted reasonably good (meat was a bit tough, so that needs improvement), but the prices are ridiculous. $29 it cost. On the coast it would cost $19-20. 50% difference. Be prepared for an expensive night if you come here as drink prices are a rip off as well.

The other thing worth pointing out is this restaurant is slow, really slow. It took them an hour to bring out the entrees. Maybe understandable if they were busy but they were quiet, only 2 other tables. And they somehow managed to get one of the orders wrong despite it being quiet.

• 1 of 5 bubbles