“Not too bad - Isa Hotel”
Review of RedEarth Hotel

RedEarth Hotel
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Mount Isa
Brisbane, Australia
“Not too bad - Isa Hotel”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

This review is for the Isa Hotel, not the more expensive Red Earth Hotel.

I stayed here a couple of years ago and had a central facing room which seemed to overlook a central service core. This time however I had an outside facing corner room with a lot of windows which was a much better aspect. I had a couple of issues with the toilet leaking (which was fixed the next day) and I also lost the power in my room which was quickly restored. I like the location of the motel which is well away from the main roads which are noisy at night and it is only a short walk to Woolworths. The steak restaurant downstairs serves good meals although it can get busy at night so recommend you try and get there by 6.30pm. You'll fund a lot of tables reserved for larger groups.

Room Tip: Try to get an outside room, not those in the centre
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Having travelled to Mount Isa for the past 9 years I recently booked to stay at the RedEarth Motel after a recommendation by friends following renovations. I booked months in advance and actually paid a month in advance however when we checked in, my wife and I were not put in the RedEarth motel but an adjoining hotel called Isa Hotel.
This second rate pub accommodation at $259 per night with its water stain and paint peeling ceiling, a TV that did not even get free to air reception, a jug that had to be put on the floor so the cord could reach the power point, a view out the window of another brick wall one metre away, a manager who couldn't be bothered to meet with me to discuss the booking (that was probably what got up my nose the most) and pub music right below that went till 3am. Sorry almost forgot about the sliding wardrobe mirror door that fell of its rails.
I booked for the RedEarth Hotel but was shuffled to the adjoining Isa Hotel ... make sure your receipt shows the correct hotel but either way the Verona (opposite) may be old but at least they have good service.
Overall RedEarth / Isa Hotel is over priced and over rated.
RedEarth / Isa Hotel does not get my tick.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Alby060356
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 6, 2012

For a comfortable room and friendly service I recommend this hotel complex in the centre of Mount Isa. Boutique rooms are updated from an old hotel with spacious verandahs and period decor. I stayed for a conference visit in a less expensive room in the adjacent Isa Hotel that shares a central management and reception desk. The two hotel complex offers a range of eating options including a relaxed outdoor deck area. The menu includes local specialties - giant steaks and local Barramundi, but prices are high due to the cost of transporting food to this remote location.

Room Tip: Some of the Isa hotel rooms are designed to cater for flyin/flyout mine workers wanting to sleep dur...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank maggies53
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This is the first hotel I have ever seen that does not have a window. At the end of the room there are curtains where you would expect to find a window, but behind the curtains there is nothing but solid wall. The room itself is ordinary, especially for the price (although mining towns are often expensive like this).

I stayed in the Isa Hotel side, but had to find reception on the Redearth side to check in and out.

Room Tip: Its a mining town so book early to get a room midweek.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank S S
Bingil Bay, Australia
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We weren't expecting much in Mount Isa when we turned up late one afternoon after 10 days camping in the bush, but the RedEarth Hotel was a real find.
Very comfortable (and spotlessly clean) room with a super bed and one of the quietest nights ever! We ate in the restaurant which, although feeling like something of a throw-back to the 1980's, was really rather good.
Friendly staff and a great CBD location make this the place to stay when you're feeling like some luxe in The Isa!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Booked this room about 2 months in advance, and having worked in the hotel industry before, I asked the receptionist specifically how much it would cost to stay for 2 nights - she gave me a price of $220. I thought this was a bit cheap, so I double checked with her if it was a PER NIGHT rate or if it was the total cost, all up for both nights. She assured me it was the total for both nights. I never recieved my email booking confirmation so I called again a week later, again double-checking the price, and was given the same amount. Upon check in, my partner handed over his credit card for a pre-authorisation of $544. Then when checking out, we were charged another $438. I queried the price, as I had been assured on 2 occasions that it would be much less, and the receptionist said there was nothing she could do, and that the manager would give me a call. 5 days later, the pre-auth still hasn't been refunded to my partner's credit card. I spoke to the manager and she said she, "Doesn't feel comfortable doing a refund," and that she could give me a discount on my next stay. Seeing as I live in Brisbane and won't be returning to Mount Isa anytime in the foreseeable future, this is absolutely no help to me. Refunds aren't hard to do. Trust me, I've worked in many jobs (including hotel reception) where refunds have been made. Train your staff better so they understand the difference between 'per-night' or 'total stay', or reduce the price of your nice (but well over priced) rooms. I hope everyone who goes to Mt Isa chooses to stay elsewhere, instead of being blatantly ripped off by your hotel. I also hope that the Hakfoorts (owners of the hotel and many more businesses) read this review and decide to appoint new, more competent management and reception staff.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Lori P
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Stayed for three nights on business in March. Great check-in, friendly staff, clean and well appointed room with aircon that worked without too much noise. All in all a great stay.
The lobby bar is busy and plenty of chatter, especially if there is footy on the TV.
The lobby restaurant served great food, but, as a North American in Oz, I found everything very expensive. The restaurant at the adjoining hotel is used for breakfast, but I found the service there to be slow and often inattentive - "A pineapple juice, please" turned into two apple juices, and for some reason it took twenty minutes to poach two eggs. I suspect they got the order wrong. At dinner, this restaurant is a cafeteria style - you order your food from the cash, and pick it up when your little electronic flashy thing starts to beep. Different, for me anyway. Dinner is often busy, so you may have to wait a bit for your food once you have ordered it.
I would recommend it to anyone, with the caveat that the restaurant will seem expensive for North Americans (but then Oz is expensive if you are coming from North America), and you may have to wait for your breakfast. The bar is great, friendly staff, and the room / service is very good.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business