“Ridiculously expensive!”

Ranked #19 of 34 Hotels in Mackay
Airlie Beach, Australia
“Ridiculously expensive!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I had to travel almost 3 hours from our remote town to Sarina. It was late when we had to leave so we decided to stay in Mackay for the night. It's safer than dodging Kangaroos in the twilight. We have stayed at MGS before and often paid a lot less than the asking price of $259 for one weeknight, We weren't even there for 14 hours as we had to leave at 4 am for work. The rooms are never clean, the bar staff are less than competent. I don't understand why, in a one bedroom suite, with 2 rooms and 2 TV's, they only have one remote. My husband and I were constantly having to go from room to room to get the remote to change the tv channel. What is the point of that? It's actually cheaper to stay in a luxury hotel suite on Hamilton Island than it is to stay at MGS with a lovely view of a crappy car park. Please take note: We are not all miners! I am a kitchen hand earning very little money, but because of where I live, Mackay is our nearest town... a 3 hour drive away! I spent more than a weeks wage just to get an x-ray and sleep in a bed for 8 hours.
Lift your game!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Daggy1869

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We have stayed at the Marina the last three times we have been to Mackay and will make our new habit right here. Priced well with very generous sized rooms, we had a one bedroom apartment which had separate bedroom, lounge, dining and kitchen with laundry facilities. I know its tragic but I get very excited about going home with a suitcase of clean clothes, so this one ticks the box for me. At one third of the price we have paid at the other place I was also really happy to have the convenience of the town restaurants which offer quality and variety. The gym is small but it works and that is another tick form me. Lastly as I work in many mining towns I am always pleased to get a room that has no disturbance from car noise ( by that I mean the reversing beep on all mine compliant vehicles) and reprieve from cigarette smoke, the building is elevated and the sounds as well as the cigarette smoke are well and truly outside.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lori L
South Australia
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed here June 2013, found everything to be very good in general...good size rooms, clean and tidy...seemed a little bit pricey but everything in Mackay is, so all in all we were very happy....restaurants were all very good, location central to everything...AM Bar downstairs had live music both nights and was a nice place for drinks...Dirty Martinis also nice for a cocktail...

Room Tip: We did a wine and dine package which got us a room on top floor...nice views...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I travel alot around many parts of AU and chose to stay at MGS based on Tripadvisor. I found the room to be highly overpriced and attribute that to "just another town to take obscene advantage over its location to mining". The King Suite was 50% darer than other studio rooms that I have stayed in. Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide and half the size. Although located in the heart of the town there was very little in the way of pubs or restaurants within walking distant that felt or looked welcoming other than what was offered on the ground floor of MGS if you are into the casino type scene. Everything else was OK.

• Stayed May 2013
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This place has a terrible cancellation policy. If you cancel within less than 8 days of your arrival date the entire cost of the booking is charged. It is no use arguing with them over the phone. The terms are clearly displayed on the booking website in a small text box in the uper right hand corner of the screen. The font is miniscule and difficult to read. Unless you have a guaranteed stay I would suggest that you do not make a booking with this place.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Bryan W
Moranbah
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Have only stayed here when elsewhere is booked out, and disappointed yet again. After a long day decided to eat in the restaurant, but the food didn't come out. Retired to the room, but the noise from the road outside made me think the window was opened, but it wasn't. The room prices are outrageous, but due to the mining industry they charge whatever they like. Location is the only key point.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Gary G
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stay at so many hotels for work and I receive excellent service at some and really poor service at others. I would ordinarily never take the time to do this but the staff at Mackay Grande Suites went so far beyond the call of duty, it's only fair I record my experience. I arrived at MGS in a taxi out the front of the hotel after a repeatedly delayed flight from Melbourne. It was pouring rain. As soon as the taxi pulled away, I realised I was at the wrong hotel. I must of looked deflated because the MGS manager, pulled up at exactly the same time and asked "Are you alright mate?". I said I was suppossed to be staying at Quest and he said, "Jump in, I'll take you around there" At this stage, I had no idea he was the manager of MGS. He was a great bloke and we got talking and he said he'd wait out the front for me, just in case there was a problem with my booking. Guess what there was!! My company had not made ANY booking for me. Mark (Manager) drove me back to MGS. He explained he was fully booked but he said he'd see what he could do. The receptionist said she thought there might be no-show but she would have to make a few calls and get back to me. Mark showed me around the bars downstairs (very impressive) and when we got back there was a room for me. After I checked in I had dinner at the bistro and it was the best steak I've ever eaten. The rooms were clean and high class and I would recommend the place to any business person. Best service I've received at a hotel.

• Stayed April 2013