“Quiet and picturesque” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Mackay
Australia
“Quiet and picturesque”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

I've stayed here a few times when travelling for business. The rooms are clean and well appointed. The beds and pillows comfortable and the best bit is that it's quiet.

It is a bit out of town which means that you'll have a taxi fare if you want to get into the town centre but there's some nice restaurants at the Marina so you don't really need to be in town.

Room Tip: Higher up is best
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Brisbane, QLD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

We recently celebrated our wedding ceremony, reception, wedding night & breakfast at the Clarion Hotel Mackay & it was fabulous!!! The location was beautiful overlooking the marina, the staff were more than helpful & Mel the functions co-ordinatior was very professional, organised & delightful to work with. We booked around 25 rooms for our guests to enjoy and have had nothing but positive feedback on all aspects. The wedding reception dinner & breakfast the next morning were delicious with a huge selection of foods to choose from. We highly recommend the Clarion if you are looking for a beautiful residence to stay whilst in Mackay, it truly is a gem.

Room Tip: We stayed in an Executive Spa room which overlooked the marina from multiple aspects. The spa even h...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank melulu32
Redland City, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Clarion for 1 night, then back 2 nights later for a stay of 5 nights. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend the Clarion. The view from our rooms (6th floor hotel room and 5th floor 1 b'room spa suite) was very good. I especially enjoyed lying in the spa watching the marina and the tankers on the horizon. The views at night were very impressive and I appreciated the complimentary binoculars provided.
The only negative we found was the fact that we could hear people in the room beside us and also the people above us. We didn't expect this in a hotel of this class. Staff were helpful and courteous at all times.
My husband and I would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Byron Bay, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay at the Clarion. I'd recommend staying up on the top levels (level 6), as I did, where you get great views over the marina. I found the service to be great. Forgot toothpaste, phoned in to reception, and they were happy to deliver up a small courtesy tooth brush and kit. It's a combination of smaller things like that that make you appreciate good service. Thank you!

• Stayed June 2013
Sunshine Coast, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is the only hotel at the harbour, and I am willing to believe that it may have once rated 4.5 stars .. However I don't think this rating should hold today. I found my room small, and I could hear the people above me walk around. I wanted to wake up on Saturday morning to order eggs Benedict with a plunger of coffee in bed, only to discover I need to order room service the night before and I could only choose from cereal and toasts, and the coffee was a take away cup.
On a plus, the staff were helpful, and there were restaurants on the harbour to walk to for an evenings meal or lunch. I did enjoy sitting out by they boats for breakfast, but needed to ask for a stronger coffee (the one offered for breakfast in a flask was weak) I was then charged and additional $4:50 for a stronger coffee I a paper cup.

I found the remote in the room to be sticky and the welcome folder had old food on the pages. The air conditioner had a sign on it that said I could not cool lower than 23 as the system would leak or stop.

Overall this was a disappointing place to stay, and expensive for what it offered.

My room was on the 6th floor.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank leza w
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

The room was nice and suited us for my family of 4 (2 young kids). The kids slept on a fold out couch and we had a sep bedroom. The only problem with the room was the 6:00am Sunday wake up call from the truck collecting the garbage skip. Surely that could be managed at a more suitable time! It woke all of us up and we were on the 5th floor.
The real disappointment came from the restaurant. Only 1 seafood dish on the menu from a marina hotel and it wasn't even a local reef fish??? Just tasteless Tuna and the whole menu was very expensive. We were served our adult mains while the kids had to wait an extea 15 mins for their meals. I expected better!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Shaun G
Shenzhen, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

The Clarion Mackay is a descent hotel when compared with other options in the area, but when all is said and done, it left something to be desired. As other users have pointed out, the carpet in my room was dirty with multiple stains. We ate at the restaurant on one occassion, but found the menu to be overly priced for the quality of food. The food was good, but not great. Let it be said that it is convenient if nothing else.

On the other hand, the hotel is right on the marina with a nice breeze blowing off the water. There was a band playing just a few minutes walk down from the hotel on the water front and many people out street dancing. Some of the restaurants just down from the hotel were also very good. The steak house was good, and the fish and chips was also a hit with our group.

When compared with your other options in Mackay, the Clarion is one of the nicest there is, although in a larger city with more competition, I think they would have a hard time filling rooms.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business