“Very dated, great swimming pool.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Sun Plaza Motel
Sun Plaza Motel
Ranked #20 of 25 Specialty Lodging in Mackay
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“Very dated, great swimming pool.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

Have stayed here a number of times as its usually one of the last places to book out. The prices are reasonably cheap, usually about $95 if you go straight to the counter you may negotiate a cheaper price. The rooms are very dated, but clean enough. the beds could do with updating, but okay.

Room Tip: This is a great cheap place to stay if you're not fussy or extravagent. It has a great swimming...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Beisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Had to find place at night after traveling from Brisbane. Sun plaza had vacant sign so called in. Basic room with queen bed clean,tidy and plenty of room. Good value for a stop over and the staff were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed October 2013
Queensland, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

We had planned on driving from Townsville to Rockhampton overnight but decided that if we could find a 24 hour check-in in Mackay we would stop there for a few hours. We arrived in Mackay at 2am and we drove past a few 24 hour check in places but they were all booked out. Sun Plaza advertised vacancies and 24 hours check in. The signs at the front looked inviting (Welcome signs written in chalk) so we followed the instructions and pushed the door bell 3 times and waited. What happened next was inexcusable - an extremely grumpy and rude woman charged at us, swung the sliding door so it nearly broke and yelled at me (I was sitting in the car with the window down) 'So, how can I help you?' (in a very sarcastic manner). I was dumbstruck and wanted to reverse out. My husband says 'We would like a room' to which she yells back '$85 a night' and storms off. We don't know what to do but really need sleep and have no other options. My husband goes in and she is rude to him but seems to soften a bit when he says we have 2 children with us (which makes it $95). Anyway, we get the keys and find that our room is big, clean and has room for all of us. There are warnings all over the room not to run a business from there and that all visitors need to be approved and signed in - it then dawns on us - she thought I was a prostitute!! While it was funny, it does not excuse the service we received - if you are going to be that rude to people who want to use the 24 hours check in and be so put out to be woken up - don't offer 24 hours check-in. It was a shame because (like I said) the rooms were basic and clean, it was cheap (for Mackay) and the woman who took our key when we checked out was lovely.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Mackay hotels

Rockhampton, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Oh wow! I really want to say something nice about this place but I'm at a loss! We stayed for one night in July, the rate was cheap, but they still have a standard of up keep surely?
Firstly the rooms are very dated and seem to have escaped from the 1980's, thats fine I can live with that, what I can't accept is unhygenic and unsafe!
The room appeared not to have been cleaned or at least not properly. There were food scrapes on the floor under the little table, a stain down the front of the cupboard near the microwave, dust on the fridge and cupboard tops and though the toilet and shower were clean the floor was not, this is unacceptable.
Behind the lamp on the bedside table is quite a large hole in the wall with power cords going through it and also masking tape holding something together, just plain dangerous especially for anyone with children! I can forgive torn curtains or cracked tiles but this is just not safe.
I would never stay there again and connot in all good concience recommend it to anyone, it doesn't matter how cheap it is. Sorry but a night on the back seat of my car would have been safer. I always like to say something nice but this is the worst accommodation I have ever stayed in anywhere in the world. We had room 20.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends