“Finally! Something a bit different.”
Review of Taste Matters - CLOSED

Taste Matters
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Having visited here for a number of years now I had almost given up on finding something other than cafes serving ordinary coffee and pre cooked and bought in cakes and muffins.
Taste matters was a revelation. Great coffee and almost everything made on the premises.

As well as muffins and cakes, it has a small but very tasty selection of food for lunch, again with almost everything being cooked on the premises. In addition, tucked away down a little arcade it has a delightful atmosphere and very friendly and welcoming staff.

Will definitely be back on my next visit to Mackay. My only complaint would be that it is not open for dinner.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We've had a semi-regular Saturday late breakfast here every 3 weeks or so for the past year - we like the small delicatessen with the different cheeses, meats etc. And the different kitchen utensils too - we've bought a macaron baking sheet and a pair of herb scissors that are very useful.

We usually have a coffee and a hot chocolate, and something to eat - they do a great breakfast in the hand - shaped like a muffin but is egg and other ingredients. My favourite has salami and sun dried tomatoes. Or a bagel with salmon and cream cheese or a croissant with ham and cheese.

Usually the food's very nice and costs about $20 - $25 for the drinks and food. Nice relaxing place to sit and look at the more exotic ingredients for sale in the shelves, or scan the recipe books. Or a relaxing read of the paper.

Our recent visit had the usual good food, however I'm afraid the service was very ordinary. The waitress managed to get orders wrong and delivered my coffee to another table. A couple of minutes later she tried to retrieve it and give to me. My partner said no, it had been served to another and asked for a new one. When our drinks were finally delivered you guessed it - it was the same cup of coffee. How did we know - the foam had started to break down and it was a lot cooler than it should have been.

No apology, nothing, and no little biscuit - something we usually get with each hot drink and what we could see on the saucer of each of the coffees at the table next to us. Felt like we'd been punished for not doing what they wanted.

So, while the food's nice. and the environment a treat for the senses, service does matter and it will be a while before we go back.

3  Thank kjbMirani