“A relaxing spot and great food.”
Review of The Lagoons Cafe and Gallery - CLOSED

The Lagoons Cafe and Gallery
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Botanic Gardens Cafe is Situated Within The Mackay Botanical Gardens overlooking a Lush Lagoon, We specialize in High Teas witch need to be Booked in Advance and provide Breakfast, Morning Tea and Lunch Five Days a Week. The Café is also available for Special Bookings and Functions of a night time.
Adelaide, Australia
“A relaxing spot and great food.”
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is on a deck overlooking a lagoon full of birds.
The food was excellent. Damper and dips, pear, walnut and parmesan salad and kangeroo wraps were all above average. The staff are friendly and the food fresh. This is not the place to come if you are in a hurry. A definite must if you enjoy good food and the outdoors.

• Visited July 2013

“Dinner at sunset”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I was taken to the restaurant for dinner on Friday night, we had drinks on the deck while watching the sunset and then ventured inside for dinner. The food was delightful, service very friendly and professional and the atmosphere was awesome. Great place to take that someone special. I thoroughly recommend it. Sally

• Visited April 2013
Mackay, Australia
“Great spot for breakfast”
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

This is one of my favourite places in Mackay. We went for a Sunday morning jog along the paths in the Botanical garden and then had breakfast at the cafe. The food was simple, interesting, yummy and inexpensive, just what we wanted. The service was also good, efficient and casual. I have eaten here before and have always enjoyed it. I love the location, looking over the gardens and lagoon.

“Used to be so good”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I have eaten here over the last few years and the meals had always been beautiful, service always a bit hit and miss, but overall a lovely dining experience.
Not sure what has happened since,but even though service was slow, I had not yet written them off. Ordered a mango frappe for the kids, which turned out to be a warmish tasting mango drink...yuk. Shared a roasted vegetable wrap, which took ages to come out, and ended up being grated raw vegetables ( with onion) in a curry kind of tasting sauce and some strange white looking meat that couldn't be identified by my dining companion or myself. The salad of rocket was YELLOW! In other words..inedible.
Was so disappointed, as I used to enjoy coming here. Coffee was passable, so if I do come back, it will just be for a coffee. No one asked if our meals were okay, and seeing that most of it was left on the plate, you'd think they would ask. Even at the till, I was not asked if all was okay or if i had enjoyed my meal ( if they did, they could improve...just a tip)
If this cafe has been taken over by someone new, they need to do a lot of work to bring it back up to standard.

• Visited January 2013
Brisbane Region, Australia
“Relaxed”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We enjoy our visits to the gardens cafe, but it can be a bit hit and miss. We risked the scones agin this time and, unlike a couole of months ago, they had not been mircrowaved rock hard. This time firm and tasty, so OK.

Was very busy around the verandah this time, seemed like a lot of people had all decided to meet there in the week before Xmas, so we had to sit inside, without the view.

Food can be quite good, with good variety to choose from.

There are often paintings or photographs on display, usually with a local theme. This time was an exhibition from a local photography group of local scenes.

Staff are OK, but could maybe be a bit friendlier and more welcoming.

We'll be back in a few weeks for another try.

• Visited December 2012