“Four Star.... I don't think so”

White Lace Motor Inn
Ranked #15 of 34 Hotels in Mackay
Brisbane, Australia
“Four Star.... I don't think so”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Paid $174 for the night for a queen bed room and expected much better for the price as this motel is rated four star. This is Mackay however and one would be forgiven for thinking that as a mining based town there is some pricing escalation.
Bed and pillows were hard, shower rose wouldn't stay in position, toilet would flush but continue to run, mould in shower recess, couldn't adjust aircon to warm, flyscreen door was broken and overall decor is showing its age.
Lady on front desk was very helpful and friendly.
Overall poor value for once what was a flagship motel in Mackay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Geoffdb24
Michele J, Manager at White Lace Motor Inn, responded to this review, January 3, 2015
As the new owners of White Lace Motor Inn we are endeavouring to let everyone know that service standards and guest satisfaction are our primary concerns. We took over on 5th December 2014 and are upgrading our facilities as fast as we possibly can. We regret that the former leases allowed the property to fall behind in the market, but rest assured that is being attended to and we will once again be up there with the best of our type. Michele Jackson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed at the White Lace on business trip in June 2013. I booked this sight unseen and was pleasantly surprised on arrival. Staff were very friendly and the facilities were clean and well presented. I took the opportunity of booking a spa room which at $170 per night was expensive, but then everything in Mackay is. The room had a comfortable queen bed and a single with ample room to move in between. The bathroom was well presented also with a 2 person spa and good water pressure. Just down the road is the local bowls club which was useful as the restaurant was not open on my stay (being a Sunday and not a lot of guests).

Located on Nebo Road, you are not within walking distance of the centre of town, but if you are in need of a comfortable clean room on the main road, I would recommend this one.

Room Tip: Lower ground floor spa rooms are great. Room 25 is right at the bottom corner with easy access onto...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Chris G
Australia
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This motel looks quite good from the outside and the inside isn't too bad either. A bit dated, sure but better than other motels I've stayed at in Mackay. My room had a queen bed (a bit too soft for my liking), small table and chairs, two sofa chairs and small coffee table, business desk with good chair, small fridge and coffee and tea making facilities, nice flat LCD Sharp tv with some Foxtel channels and free wifi, although a bit slow and not working when it rains... Bathroom was very clean and a nice touch was the shaving cream dispenser along with soap and hand and body lotion cream. I haven't tried breakfast or the restaurant here so I cannot comment on the food. What I can say is that unfortunately this motel is on the very, very busy Nebo Road, basically a section of the Bruce Highway, which means that there's a lot of road noise. On top of that it is located directly under the flight path. I slept with earplugs and I managed to have a decent night of rest until 5:20 when the traffic noise became too much even for them. All in all a decent motel but in an unfortunate location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank PipMas
Noosaville, Australia
Reviewed January 25, 2013

This is an excellent motel. When you book your room, ask for the internet cable. Unlimited internet at no extra cost with fast cable was a dream - I loved not having to get the credit card out or book only an hour. The room was big, and you could turn the lights/air con off next to the bed. The bathroom had unlimited shampoo, conditioner, shaving foam, moisturiser, which was great, given there were 3 of us and with long hair I usually use up a whole little bottle.
Each bed had two pillows (use to only one) and were clean. The staff were fast and friendly. It was the 3rd hotel we stopped at that night and it was only slightly more expensive than the other two that were much lower in quality. On a road trip where motels were the norm for us, it was our favourite.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank angirajurisu
New Zealand
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed one night, nice pool and pleasant reception. Ok room but showing its age and while ncie to not have to carry bag upstairs, little privacy with other patrons cars parked in front of room. Closing the curtain to get some privacy made it very gloomy.

Not super comfortable bed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We were three blokes travelling together and very much enjoyed the owners of the Motor Inn who regaled us with stories about their larakeets. The room was excellent, and the restaurant associated with the Motor Inn is very good. As a yank, I needed to learn how to take off my cap, and the lady of the manor also took to straightening my collar. If that sounds a bit much, it really wasn't . I thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Queensland, Australia
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The room we stayed in was nice and clean. Comfy bed, good inhouse movies and big enough. Most of the staff were wonderful - friendly and very welcoming; except for one woman who was quite rude and made me feel like I wanted to cancel my booking and go somewhere else (middle aged woman with short brown hair - seriously, if you hate people so much - don't work in tourism). Luckily, we only encountered her once!! I did find it strange that the rooms were non-smoking but there were ashtrays all along the corridor/verandah to get into rooms. So, while our room was 'smoke free' we had to walk past about 4-5 people smoking to get to our room and the smell tended to hang around.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a courtyard.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family