“Better last time” 3 of 5 bubbles

Silver Bird Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #71 of 195 Restaurants in Mackay
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&q=silver+bird+mackay&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&ion=1&biw=1440&bih=785&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=vl
Carrara, Australia
“Better last time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

The food was good but very tiny servings and very expensive . We went there in feb and the servings were twice the size , we had our favorite Peking Duck it was 6 pancakes and 6 pieces of duck , last visit it was a Duck carved in front of us with plenty of everything, it was disappointing , we will not be going back

Visited September 2012

“Had to put KFC sweet & sour sauce all on everything to make it edible”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

Worst chinese I have ever had! You will get better tasting food and more value for money in a food court!
Nothing I ordered had any flavor to it, the Mongolian beef was bright pink and watery. The only slightly redeeming point was the spring rolls...

.... And I thought hot wok was a bad option!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Bellevue, WA
“Been around forever, locals love their Chinese fast food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

Silver Bird has been around forever, and MANY locals who live or work around the CBD seem to stop in to fill a plastic container from their takeaway buffet at least once a week.

They offer a sitdown restaurant with a similar hot buffet, as well as a separate menu. But I've only ever been to their takeaway area. When I lived in Mackay, I went there a couple times a month with a friend who lives in the CBD area to grab some food to take back for munching while we watched TV.

It's thoroughly unremarkable from my perspective, and not the best Chinese in town (that would be Hot Wok's sit down restaurant, not its noodle bar) but it's reliable in its not-bad consistency, it's fast to grab and go, and it's filling. Mackay loves its deep fried food, so the hot buffet always includes a number of dishes based on fried protein. Me, I stick to the other items, although I do grab a few prawn chips.

Dishes don't seem to change much here, but I think for locals that that is part of the appeal. Over time, one learns what one (and one's family likes), and when you decide to grab dinner from Silver Bird, you know just what to pick up from the buffet to satisfy everyone. Also: It's nice to be able to spoon out your own hot food, so that you can, for example, go heavy on the broccoli and light on the meat if you want.

One reviewer described it as well-priced, but please consider that in the context of Mackay. You won't find Sydney Chinatown prices here (or anywhere in Mackay, which is an overpriced mining town). Silver Bird is expensive for what you get, compared to similar Chinese buffets in other cities, in my opinion. BUT, as Mackay food goes, it's in line with what you'd expect to pay for high end fast food.

It's most likely more convenient than anything else in terms of location and speed of food acquisition if you want something other than Macca's or Hungry Jack. (If there's no parking out front, a Council public carpark is a half block down the street, and it's not very dear to park there.)

Visited April 2012
Mackay, Australia
“Silver Bird Chinese”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

They have food sitting in a bain-maree, which is fine as long as you buy it when it is put in there upon opening, but after that you need to order take away. I did do this but was given the dry special beef which I specifically said I did not want. The beef was so dry it was not edible and I was not happy about this, I pay for fresh food not food that has been sitting in a hot box for 2.5 hours. The staff are always friendly, I have not dined in yet but I would like too.

Visited February 2012
Mackay, Australia
“Quick Chinese Take Away”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2012

In my opinion for a quick, well priced Chinese take away, the Silver Bird is the place to go in Mackay. Good food, good service, good prices. This is my go to Chinese take away in Mackay.