“Trip south”

Ranked #6 of 34 Hotels in Mackay
Mackay
“Trip south”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

My wife and I traveled south through Mackay and stayed at this Motel which we found to be clean and the service was very good, We slept well and there were no dramas leaving early. Nice place to stay I would recommend it, bathrooms a bit cramped though.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Ian B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Mackay, Australia
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

We Booked there it was the last available place. When we pulled up we were concerned. But when we went inside we were greeted by the nicest friendliest service. The room was spotless we had a great sleep. Totally recommend.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Familytravels21
Central Coast
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I recently travelled to MacKay with my husband and wanted somewhere that was in the MacKay CBD. The International Lodge is in the ideal position when you want to walk every where. The rooms were very clean and spacious with facilities to make your own breakfast. We spent two nights and found it to be very quiet even though it is in the centre of town. The bathrooms are very small but very clean and quite adequate. The managers were very helpful and nothing was a problem for them. I look forward to returning in the near future.

Room Tip: Elderly people should request ground floor as there is no lift.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Rambler1923
Gold Coast
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I travel to Mackay on business so I have to keep to a budget and this hotel is within my budget. Mackay is expensive so this hotel is a good choice if you don't want to spend too much. It is well located within walking distance of quite a few eating places. The rooms are small and have a newly renovated tiny bathroom and new bed linen and I think new carpet but you can tell it is old by the walls and furniture. The owners on reception were helpful. At the end of the street is a walkway that travels along the river if you want to go for a walk or run. There is no pool or restaurant in the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Yvettesaf
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Very very happy with the rooms, which were clean, newly appointed and quiet. We stayed in room 18, fantastic comfy beds, large flat screen TV, kettle / toaster / fridge - everything you need for a short stay - bathroom is small but big enough to use easily. We stayed at the International Lodge during a kids sports carnival, and although no laundry facilities, the managers washed and dried our football gear every night for us which was greatly appreciated. Managers are very friendly and great people to have a chat too, very knowledgeable about the local area. IL is close to everything you need, walking distance to centre of town, pubs, restaurants and coffee shops. Canelands shopping centre is about 500m away for everything else. Would highly recommend staying at the IL - it has everything you need and the managers made the stay most enjoyable - thanks for a great stay in Mackay

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank CGS01
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

Do not stay here if you would like some peace and quiet (not an unreasonable thing to expect). Some guests around us decided to grog on all night, smoke outside our room right in front of the "no smoking" sign and then have a hungover barney very early the next morning. sure, it was a problem with guests, but management, who live on site, did not intervene.
Apart from that, the bathroom is in a broom closet, with the hand basin sitting within the bedroom area. Very quirky. this is one of the more expensive rooms, being a twin, but may be one of the oddest.?? the bed is comfy, nice pillows and great position right in town, with lots of parking. so, I you don't mind noisy neighbours, go for it.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank LPNSW
, Manager at International Lodge Motel, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
On behalf of the owners and managers of the motel I would like to appologize for the behaviour of a couple of guests. As managers we like to repond to all complaints immediately and have a buzzer available at the office which we react to at all hours. We answer our phone at any hour of the day and night so guests can be assisted with any problems or concerns. I can assure you that if we had heard the noise or had been informed about the smoking and disturbance we would have dealt with it immediately. Thank you for your positive comments at the end of your review and we hope we can be of assistance with your accommodation needs in the future.
Bellevue, WA
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Apparently this motel has some zealous housekeeping staff who often use highly concentrated mixes of cleaning fluid to keep their recently renovated rooms looking as tip top as possible.

It's unfortunate that an inconcsistently heavy hand with cleaning supplies (and also, the unfortunate choice of an orange based cleaner that triggered a HUGE allergic reaction in me) is sometimes an issue here, because otherwise, I'd recommend the motel unconditionally for anyone who wants good value CBD accommodation and doesn't require a swimming pool on-premises.

My first stay had no dramas. Apparently the cleaning solution was mixed weakly enough that it didn't trigger my allergies at all. The flat screen TV worked and was all but brand new and there were a stunning number of power points in the room, so that one was convenient ANYWHERE you might want to plug in a computer, phone, camera that needed charging, portable DVD player, whatever. The bed was comfortable and the sheeting fresh and not looking like it was 5 years old. I was really, really surprised that a room of this calibre, obviously recently redone, lurked behind the walls of this unassuming moatel.

Based on this, I stayed there again the next time I wanted to get away from my roommate. Again, I saw the same quality of room. Good stuff. The problem began when I took a nap before tea. I woke up dizzy, with something "not right". I barely made it to dinner and back, due to unexplainable dizziness and weakness. I went back to bed, and was awoken a few hours later by the need to vomit. This lasted on and off all night and into the next day, while I fought extreme dizziness and weakness.

I mentioned how sick I was, and my symptoms, to a friend in email, and she said, "This sounds like your orange allergy symptoms. Are you absolutely sure they don't use orange cleaner?" (to which I'd previously reacted in various hotels around the world.) I'd stayed there before with no issues, so I said I didn't think they did, but would ask. I couldn't "just tell" because most of the time, I don't have a sense of smell. When I asked, the verdict came back -- yes, they do, and most motels in Mackay do because it's "the cheap stuff" that's sold in town.

I checked out, moved to another hotel that guaranteed they did not use orange based cleaning solutions, and A MERE 2-4 HOURS LATER, I was completely stabilised and able to eat again without ill effects.

To their credit, management did indicate that they wanted to switch away from these orange based cleaners, but that they had to justify it (to someone?) because of the extra cost involved in using the cleaner that they preferred to use, and had used at the last property they'd managed. Well, I gave them an example of a reason to switch, at least. And it looks like at least one other person commenting on tripadvisor found the cleaner to be an issue as well. So really, they SHOULD change it. 99.99% of people won't react as negatively as I did, but some will, others find it merely unpleasant enough to need to air the room out, and when it's something so easily changeable and the motel has so many other things going for it..... switching cleaning solutions seems like a no-brainer and I hope they do so.

Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank PacNWtraveller
, Manager at International Lodge Motel, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
I do apologize for the cleaner being heavy handed with the cleaning solution. We had a couple of new staff members and they didn't realize they had to dilute the solution. We have overcome this problem in the future by only having diluted solutions available to housekeeping staff. Again I am sorry for you reacting to the solution and I hope I can be of assistance in the future if you require accommodation in Mackay again.
Pam Warmington