All reviews tennis courts blacks beach self contained great for families pool area short drive a wonderful place to stay apartment was clean fantastic location the managers the air conditioning convenient location townhouse pools units facilities accommodation
Selected filters
Reviewed May 9, 2016

We love The Shores apartments at Blacks Beach. The units are comfortable and well equipped, the gardens and pool areas are well kept and lush and best of all, the magnificent Blacks Beach is right there. The managers are extremely helpful and friendly and we go back to stay there time and time again. Without doubt our favorite place to stay in Mackay. Depending on where your unit is situated in the complex, Internet access can be a problem, but we travel with a mobile wifi device and that works just fine.

Date of stay: March 2016
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Kerryn B, Manager at The Shores Holiday Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2016

Thanks for the wonderful review. We appreciate all feedback from our guests, but especially positive comments.

The Wifi strength can be a bit touchy depending on where you are in a unit and how close you are to the external aerials. All our buildings have core filled walls for cyclone protection, which can interfer with the strength of the signal. We recommend guests walk around the unit with their phone, ipad etc and pick the strongest of the 5 signals, before connecting.

Thanks again for taking the time to review our property. Much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you again another time.

Reviewed May 3, 2016

Units are a bit dated but are very big and well priced with all amenities. Great for kids as there are 2 pools and heaps of grass for them to run around. The hosts were very helpful. Quite location. Shops not too far away to go grocery shopping. It suited us and we will go back. Would recommend for families.

Date of stay: December 2015
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks for the positive comments.

Hopefully next visit you get to stay in one of the many refurbished units. We continually encourage our unit owners to upgrade their units.

We look forward to welcoming you another time.

Reviewed May 2, 2016

Don't stay here unless management has changed. I was one of a large group of families staying at the accommodation and no one had a pleasant weekend. Broken furniture, dirty bathrooms, dodgy electrical work and poor staff contact.

Date of stay: March 2016
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Kerryn B, Owner at The Shores Holiday Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2016

My sincere apologies if you felt our management was lacking. It's certainly not the response we usually receive. We are the owner/managers, so try to go out of our way to please all our guests as our business relies very heavily on providing great customer service.

I was working the weekend you, and two other units of ladies and young girls, stayed to attend a dance competition. I spent some time talking to the other ladies over the weekend, and attended both their units on the Friday night. One was to replace blown light globes on the Friday evening around 6.30pm, which happens and we cannot control. I wouldn’t consider a couple of blown light globes as dodgy electrical work.

I attended the other unit later on Friday evening to check on water on the floor in the upstairs toilet. I wiped up the water and extra towels were provided to the unit. They were also given an option to move units but declined. Neither the guest or I could find where the water was coming from. I asked her to let me know Saturday morning if it was still wet and I would get a plumber in to find the problem. I heard nothing from the guest Saturday Morning so went and checked. The floor appeared to be dry so assumed one of the children had left the shower door ajar and the water had flowed into the toilet.

Late Friday I was again speaking to the lady who had the blown light globes as I walked past her unit and she told me another lady from the dance group was supposed to be staying at a Caravan Park in the City but it was so dirty she refused to stay, and suggested she move to The Shores as it was lovely and clean and had excellent facilities.
She also told me you had stayed at The Shores previously and recommended it to the other ladies. We have been here over 11 years so are the same Managers.

Two days later I am told the bathrooms are dirty, and the leg of the sideboard in your unit was broken and you wouldn’t stay again. It just doesn’t make sense as there was nothing wrong with the sideboard on the Friday morning before you arrived and no-one else from your group had complained about issues with bathroom cleanliness when I was talking to them.

As mentioned on your departure had I known of your issues with the unit you were staying in they could have been addressed at the time just as we as we did with the other units. I apologize again if my contact with you was poor. This was never my intention.

Reviewed May 2, 2016

Our 4 boys aged 16 to 9 enjoyed the outdoor activities the Shores offered. They spent time fishing off the beach, Tennis, swimming in the tropical pool area and hunting for dead twigs and branches for the fire pit. The BBQ area and games of Boules just topped off a great week.

Date of stay: April 2016
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Kerryn B, General Manager at The Shores Holiday Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2016

Wonderful to see such a lovely review. Thanks for your positive feedback.

Reviewed May 1, 2016

Spacious,close to beach,great entertaining facilities,quiet. Owners helpful. Downer - wi fi lasted less than one day and we were booked in for 4 days. Needs to be topped up daily in this day and age .

Date of stay: January 2016
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Kerryn B, Manager at The Shores Holiday Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2016

Thanks for your positive review of The Shores Holiday Apartments. Its great to see you enjoyed our facilities.

We provide free WiFi vouchers to all our guests based on their length of their stay. For a four night stay you should have received a data allowance of 2000mb which would be ample for your stay. Not sure how you could use all that data in less than one day.

Our intention in providing free WiFi is to enable guests enough data to check emails, facebook, etc, but not to download or stream multiple movies at the same time. This can slow down the internet for our other guests which is unfair to them.

I suggest you look carefully at your data usage as you may have other programs running in the background on your phone/tablet that you are not aware of. This is the first time we have had guests use that much data in such a short period of time.

Maybe we should just blame Telstra. We had no internet at all for 3 hours on Sunday.