“A home away from home.”

Pioneer Villa Motel
Ranked #33 of 34 Hotels in Mackay
Reviewed April 28, 2014

During my 5 days in Mackay on Business, I stayed at this Motel. It was Great. After my long trip to Mackay and long days working, it was a great place to come back to, for rest and relaxation, so quiet and restful.
> Loads of hot water in the Shower, great water pressure.
> My room was spotlessly clean.
> The Staff were very helpful.
> The bed was very comfortable.
> The Air conditioning was perfect.
> Very Hospitable manager (A sincerely lovely man, he really cared about our comfort)
> Great Wifi
> The pool was clean and the water does not sting your eyes like some places I have stayed.

The whole place has a welcoming, homey feel to it. I really enjoyed my stay. And next time I am in Mackay for work and play, I will definitely stay there again. And I completely recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Daryl W, Manager at Pioneer Villa Motel, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

Staying away from home for extended periods is often onerous, especially for business travellers who work all day and spend half the night doing computer work. We do ask guests at Pioneer Villa Motel to tell us if they need anything extra as sometimes they may have forgotten their phone charger or extension cord. We are always happy to help where we can, thank you for the kind review.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

I can't speak for the rooms themselves as due to the incompetence of Virgin Blue we never made it, however the very kind manager didn't charge us for the room, even though we weren't able to alert him we weren't coming until the morning AFTER our booking. I had family that stayed here and they had no complaints.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Daryl W, Owner at Pioneer Villa Motel, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

We are not in the business of taking money for rooms that are not occupied if there are exceptional circumstances. This gentleman was travelling to a funeral so we had emphaty for him. Pioneer Villa Motel does have a 48 hour cancellation policy but unlike many of the big chains who have a rigid no refund policy, we do have consideration for others.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

The owner was very welcoming and went beyond the norm to help us feel comfortable. Dinner was well received by all. Slept very well.
The room we were in needs some updating as it was looking very shabby.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Mummygirl58

More than half the rooms have been renovated, three new rooms have been added within the past few months, and the remainder will be refurbished with a modern bright decor. There is a saying that "everything old will be new again" but it takes time to complete everything.... but it is happening! All the rooms are clean with new beds and televisions so they are acceptable and comfortable.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

I know this site is usually only for those who have stayed at a certain motel. But I had to leave a note. Because this experience made me smile and lifted my day.

The morning I made my booking, I had called a number of Mackay motels. As I am in need of accommodation during my business trip. I am old school, I prefer making bookings etc over the phone rather than online. The staff of the other Motels I called, must have been having a bad day. They were impatient and I felt like I was being a pain by calling and directed me to booking.com etc. Also the room rates, of some of the other Motels in Mackay that were on the booking.com site were total fiction.
So after speaking to the last 5 Motel staff of other establishments, I had had enough.

I got a completely different response from Daryl from the Pioneer Motel, He was a pleasure to talk too. The lovely and friendly service I received on the phone when I was making my booking, really lifted my day and made me smile. He was even willing to give me directions, tell me what other services are located near the motel and gave me information about the traveling distance for my trip. He was Lovely.
So many businesses drop the ball these days with their customer service. I have found the staff of many different businesses a disgrace, I really don't know how they keep their jobs.
Old fashioned manners have taken a back seat. And thats sad.

Its a Breath of Fresh air to deal with someone like Daryl. So be assured those who are tired of grumpy and rude staff etc from the different businesses we all have to deal with, there is hope, because "Old fashioned manners and service are alive and well at the Pioneer Villa Motel" in Mackay. I am really looking forward to my stay. And meeting Daryl. :)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Cyndy75

Blush ....we do get some wonderful guests and good service is a right, not an expectation, for those of us from the old school. Thank you.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

I have stayed here on two occasions and have found the the staff amazing. On the last occasion I arrived at 7 am for that night and was able t.o immediately check in. Darryl and Mal provide amazing customer service with a smile. The rooms are very clean and comfortable with new very comfortable beds, austar t.v and not a lot of noise from the main road. The restuarant provides quality food at good prices.
Having worked in motels for over 5 yrs I have found the pioneer villas to be one of the best motels around.

• Stayed: April 2014

We have a policy at Pioneer Villa Motel to check in guests as early as possible, provided that the room is available and has been fully serviced and cleaned. Many travellers are weary when they reach Mackay so it is great for them to be able to put their feet up, have a cup of tea or coffee and a bikkie, and relax. We also provide 24 hour check in as sometimes travellers are delayed and the last thing they need to worry about is whether they will be able to check in to their motel.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I stayed at Pioneer Villa Motel on 2 occasions when travelling up and back the Qld coastline.
On the first occasion things were in quite a state and needing repair as per guest comments below.

I have stayed here again in March and things are very different for good reasons. The old sign has been replaced, the pool fence has been replaced. The overall service was excellent and talking with other guests in the restaurant they were all happy with their meals and service.

The owner Daryl has taken over the management again and he is a real people person and will go over and above what most managers or people will do to ensure guest satisfaction.

The beds and sleeping conditions were fine and so was the air cond and fridge. Some rooms have been refurbished with new cabinetwork.

Talking to various guests who all complimented the chef on the Chicken Kievs saying that it was the better and far cheaper than what they have paid for a meal in most other establishments. I enjoyed the fish and got 2 pieces of pan seared Sweetlip reef fish. I heard another guest say the steak and pepper sauce was great to.

I understand under former management the restaurant was often closed and regular maintenance was not being undertaken. It looked like things have changed considerably.

I would recommend this place as good value, good central Mackay location and great service.
Thank you Daryl and team for looking after me very well.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Daryl W, Owner at Pioneer Villa Motel, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Thanks for the kind comments and we have made significant changes since removing the previous managers. We operate 24 hour check in and give priority to a personalised service. It is a pleasure to look after our guests and we value them highly. New pool fencing and signage gives us a new profile in line with the improved levels of service. Hope to see you again and thanks for your business.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

needs upgrading, one air con which did not have any effect on the 2nd bedroom, for that we had a pedestal fan that didn't work.
breakfast was terrible, didn't get what we ordered, restaurant aircon got turned on when we sat down so we sweated thru the meal.
bathroom in need of help

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Daryl W, Owner at Pioneer Villa Motel, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Dear Townsvillemiss, I apologise that you were not satisfied with you stay at Pioneer Villa Motel, it is my hope and intention for all guests to be completely satisfied based on the value of the rate they are paying for the service and condition of the motel.
Since you have not stated when your stay was I can only assume it was before we have started work on repairing many items that have been overlooked by onsite management.
Had we been advised during your stay we could have supplied another fan and supplied what you in fact wanted for breakfast.
I am the owner and now back on site to bring the motel back up to the acceptable 3.5 star rating standard. While we have always been undertaking various maintenance and room upgrades of varying degrees we are currently improving many aspects of the motel to improve overall guest satisfaction. Obviously, being the owner, I will do all I can to make sure my guests are happy and catered for in whatever way possible. One guest recently reviewed on another site how great it was to be let into his room after he had locked himself out in the middle of the night with a smile.
We have always been known for good and fair value for what we offer and good meals but I am taking it to the next level, taking care of several things that have been let run down by former management.
We look forward to your next visit and staying with us again here at Pioneer Villa Motel Mackay. Thanks again from our team.