“Small cell without windows - weekend special”

Pioneer Villa Motel
Ranked #32 of 34 Hotels in Mackay
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed here for one night, service was OK on check in, room was reasonably clean but very small with not a window anywhere. To make up for the lack of windows, they have installed a very large skylight over the bed - which meant daylight for us at 530am, no sleep ins happening in that room. Bed was two singles pushed together with big ridge in the middle, not particularly comfortable anyway. Only cups and water glasses provided in the room and small fridge with minibar. We paid $110 for the night (weekend special) which I felt was hugely overpriced, but I understand Mackay is generally expensive.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 20 and 21 - they are the "cells"
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Talia T

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Not many options in Mackay under $200 during the week, my work selected this one and I was was very happy. The motel is old and could do with some work, and I suspect that it's a WIP with the managers, but at least the TV is modern, room clean, air con modern and quiet. being on Nebo rd there will be some noise, I heard none as I was at the back of,the property. There is free WiFi that works, overall good value in poor value Mackay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank markis100
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Checked in around 10pm and found the lady at the counter very nice and friendly and this was the last good thing about our stay. Was put into a "new room" which had been built next to the toilets for the restaurant and main walkway to restaurant. Room had no windows or pictures and one ancient pine bedside table and the light switches for the wall mounted reading lights are too high and you can't reach them from the bed, no hand towels or face washers and the towel rail was nowhere near the sink. The bar fridge was tiny and instead of being on a bench at a reasonable height was down on the floor and very hard for anyone other than a child to use. Asked to be given a room with at least a window for fresh air and light for the morning was promptly told sorry you booked "the weekend special" and if I wanted another room it was going to cost me another $20.00. There was no mention of state of " the weekend special" room on any website listing this place. After driving for 12 hours I was not impressed with this hotel and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Do not take rooms 20 or 21 as these are " the weekend specials".
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve H
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Reception is friendly and nice guy .We were in a twin and a bit cramped and dowdy. Co9uld do with a makeover. Reasonably clean but Mackay generally is overpriced and operators need ot put money back into their properties.
Food average

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank townsvillegirl73
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Mackay is always booked out during the week. I searched Wotif and selected this motel. Late check, justed wanted a feed and a bed for the night.. Obviously at the price I paid I realised it wouldn't be the Ritz.
The reception was freindly and quick - a husband and wife team I think. the room was as I expected about a 3 star. Very clean and tidy. Ordered my meal and it arrived on time. Was as I ordered and good value. Breakfast the same - on time and good value.
A bit noisy from passing traffic, but you get that when you are on a main road.
I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 899Ash
Reviewed May 30, 2012

This is a strong recommendation from a regular client.
I have been travelling up to Mackay for busines on a regular basis for the past 3-4 years and have tried a number of motels on Nebo Road (the main motel strip on the way into town). Our stay at the top priced motel (Coral Cay) was most disappointing and we wouldn't recommend it. My wife was treated like a leper and my hot breakfast was delivered (late!) on a cold plate. We have now stayed at Pioneer Villa exclusively for the past 2 years or so. On our first visit we were made to feel extremely welcome and were treated like honoured guests, and this has continued ever since. On one occasion we arrived late at night (and I mean LATE), totally exhausted after a day's work in a small northern town, a drive to Townsville and then a late night flight to Mackay. My wife was treated to some delicious home made pumpkin soup, made for her on the spot, together with the recipe. My steak was superb! Breakfasts are ample and reasonably priced. My wife loves the savoury mince on toast! On another trip our flight arrived very early - a phone call to the motel and a room was cleaned and ready when we arrived - well before their normal checkout time of 10.00am.

I have read some of the negative reviews and find them hard to believe. Some people sound really obnoxious, but then I guess it takes all types. The service for us has always been brilliant - even before we became regulars and now greet Ian and Darryl on a first name basis. Sure, Pioneer Villa is an older motel and the reasonable prices reflect this. Sure, in an older motel occasionally repairs are needed unexpectedly. On our last trip (end of May 2012) we reported a broken towel rail - it was fixed by the end of the day with a brand new rail. We wanted a hair dryer - delivered immediately. An ironing board was missing - a new one, still in plastic wrap was delivered and unwrapped for us within minutes.

Road noise - the other 20 motels have exactly the same problem! Planes and helicopters? Nebo Road is on the fly path to Mackay airport, which has no curfew - the other motels are on the same strip. 3 new rooms have recently been added - modern, totally up to date - we were in one of these the trip before last.

If you want a comfortable bed (and I mean comfortable!!), reasonable prices and excellent service from a proprietor who really cares and bends over backwards to help, you can trust Pioneer Villa to be the place that will meet your needs. My wife and I live on the Gold Coast. If you talked to me, I'd tell you exactly what I have written here.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back are quieter as they are further away from the main road. All rooms are on gro...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Mel P
Reviewed April 27, 2012

booked the room because everywhere else was booked... then I read the reviews. OMG what have I booked but I thought no I'll wait and see for myself. Well.....first impressions count...the photos on the web site do not reflect what greeted us......reception needs an entire makeover; the room was tidy, the sheets clean,beds were comfy ++, ants in the jug, the shower was the only way we could fill the jug, rehung the drapes, a tap which wouldn't turn off; water wasted for the 3 days we were there.....I think if you are going to run a motel business you got to have tradesmen available, not wait till Monday, or learn to fix the washer.The furnishings are very old and outdated, needs a complete refurbish and if the mining industry is going to be profitable for motel owners then I hope they intend to spend some of that profit in doing up their business. I mean hey if you are going to resite the overhead lamps you could at least patch up the holes and repaint...possibly wash the stains off the walls....the flaking chipboard that held the air con in the window looked like a rat had a go at it.But hey,if you are looking for a comfortable bed, hot shower, clean sheets and towels and a roof over your head for a 2 night stay its fine!

Room Tip: You don't hear the traffic noise in the rooms at the back of the complex
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family