“needs a bit of work”

Ranked #32 of 34 Hotels in Mackay
Townsville, Australia
“needs a bit of work”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Reception is friendly and nice guy .We were in a twin and a bit cramped and dowdy. Co9uld do with a makeover. Reasonably clean but Mackay generally is overpriced and operators need ot put money back into their properties.
Food average

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank townsvillegirl73

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Mackay is always booked out during the week. I searched Wotif and selected this motel. Late check, justed wanted a feed and a bed for the night.. Obviously at the price I paid I realised it wouldn't be the Ritz.
The reception was freindly and quick - a husband and wife team I think. the room was as I expected about a 3 star. Very clean and tidy. Ordered my meal and it arrived on time. Was as I ordered and good value. Breakfast the same - on time and good value.
A bit noisy from passing traffic, but you get that when you are on a main road.
I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 899Ash
Gold Coast
Reviewed May 30, 2012

This is a strong recommendation from a regular client.
I have been travelling up to Mackay for busines on a regular basis for the past 3-4 years and have tried a number of motels on Nebo Road (the main motel strip on the way into town). Our stay at the top priced motel (Coral Cay) was most disappointing and we wouldn't recommend it. My wife was treated like a leper and my hot breakfast was delivered (late!) on a cold plate. We have now stayed at Pioneer Villa exclusively for the past 2 years or so. On our first visit we were made to feel extremely welcome and were treated like honoured guests, and this has continued ever since. On one occasion we arrived late at night (and I mean LATE), totally exhausted after a day's work in a small northern town, a drive to Townsville and then a late night flight to Mackay. My wife was treated to some delicious home made pumpkin soup, made for her on the spot, together with the recipe. My steak was superb! Breakfasts are ample and reasonably priced. My wife loves the savoury mince on toast! On another trip our flight arrived very early - a phone call to the motel and a room was cleaned and ready when we arrived - well before their normal checkout time of 10.00am.

I have read some of the negative reviews and find them hard to believe. Some people sound really obnoxious, but then I guess it takes all types. The service for us has always been brilliant - even before we became regulars and now greet Ian and Darryl on a first name basis. Sure, Pioneer Villa is an older motel and the reasonable prices reflect this. Sure, in an older motel occasionally repairs are needed unexpectedly. On our last trip (end of May 2012) we reported a broken towel rail - it was fixed by the end of the day with a brand new rail. We wanted a hair dryer - delivered immediately. An ironing board was missing - a new one, still in plastic wrap was delivered and unwrapped for us within minutes.

Road noise - the other 20 motels have exactly the same problem! Planes and helicopters? Nebo Road is on the fly path to Mackay airport, which has no curfew - the other motels are on the same strip. 3 new rooms have recently been added - modern, totally up to date - we were in one of these the trip before last.

If you want a comfortable bed (and I mean comfortable!!), reasonable prices and excellent service from a proprietor who really cares and bends over backwards to help, you can trust Pioneer Villa to be the place that will meet your needs. My wife and I live on the Gold Coast. If you talked to me, I'd tell you exactly what I have written here.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back are quieter as they are further away from the main road. All rooms are on gro...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Mel P
brisbane
Reviewed April 27, 2012

booked the room because everywhere else was booked... then I read the reviews. OMG what have I booked but I thought no I'll wait and see for myself. Well.....first impressions count...the photos on the web site do not reflect what greeted us......reception needs an entire makeover; the room was tidy, the sheets clean,beds were comfy ++, ants in the jug, the shower was the only way we could fill the jug, rehung the drapes, a tap which wouldn't turn off; water wasted for the 3 days we were there.....I think if you are going to run a motel business you got to have tradesmen available, not wait till Monday, or learn to fix the washer.The furnishings are very old and outdated, needs a complete refurbish and if the mining industry is going to be profitable for motel owners then I hope they intend to spend some of that profit in doing up their business. I mean hey if you are going to resite the overhead lamps you could at least patch up the holes and repaint...possibly wash the stains off the walls....the flaking chipboard that held the air con in the window looked like a rat had a go at it.But hey,if you are looking for a comfortable bed, hot shower, clean sheets and towels and a roof over your head for a 2 night stay its fine!

Room Tip: You don't hear the traffic noise in the rooms at the back of the complex
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Colleen H

Travelers are raving about these Mackay hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 25, 2012

My partner and I were recommended by a motel we stayed in mossman north qld.
Very disappointed as it was less than was described.the motel that recommended it did say they hadn't been there for some time.
The room wasn't so clean and everything seemed old and in bad state of repair.
I will give good credit where deserved so will say thank you to the man on the desk who was very kind .
Shame they do not spend some of the profit on improvements

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Salliann B
Townsville
Reviewed January 13, 2012

thought the reviews looked good but this is still an old run down motel with so called new airconditioners ( which rattled so much I had to put a tissue in the filter cover to stop if from rattling all night).
The exhaust fan in the bathroom hadn't been cleaned in years and was decaying so badly it had been glued back together. It takes a lot for plastic to decay and the manager obviously hasn't walked around his units with his eyes open in a while. If you are going to have the toilet in the bathroom, a requirement is for the fan to work. I brought this up with the manager who thought I was being picky. The management in this motel needs a refresher in customer service as they are charging $155.00 price for an old room and a bad attitude comes for free. It was en effort for him to check us in when we arrived evenn though I had booked ahead. Juding by the number of work trucks, they don't really care as they are getting the trade from the mines or such so service is not high on the agenda.
Dont' be fooled by the new aircons and new beds in their promo. It looks like this was a while ago. There was a clock radio provided but it was covered in dust and sitting in the breakfast tray alcove and there was nowhere to plug it in near the bed.
There was a jug provided but you couldn't fit it under the only tap which was in the bathroom so had to use the shower to fill it.
Don't bother with this one, I am sure there are others that actually want the business.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank RobboTownsville
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Overnight stay after family funeral. Older style motel, but clean, and the bed was so comfortable!! The air-conditioner was fantastic -hot as outside, but inside the room was so cool all night. So tired after emotional day so was looking forward to a quiet night in. Decided to have dinner at the motel restaurant- BEAUTIFUL. The food was delicious. So nice that we had breakfast there as well next morning before leaving. Nothing was too much trouble for the management team and they made us feel very welcome and comfortable. Noisy from the Nebo Road traffic, but with the room closed up it was okay.

Room Tip: Maybe room towards the back of the hotel might be quieter.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family