“Lovely meal”

Garlic Clove Restaurant
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Award-winning French cuisine, stunning water views and colourful European architecture, complete with private function room, the Garlic Clove is a family friendly dining experience open 7 days for lunch, dinner, weddings and functions.Awards:* 2012 – Finalist Best European Restaurant* 2009 – Winner Best European Restaurant* 2009 – Finalist Best Family Restaurant* 2009 – Finalist People’s Choice Award* 2008 – Finalist Best European Restaurant* 2006 – Finalist People’s Choice Award for Excellence* 2005 – Finalist Best European Restaurant* 2005 – Winner Best European Restaurant* 2002 – Finalist Best Family Restaurant* 2000 – Finalist Best BYO Restaurant* 1999 – Winner Best BYO Restaurant
Robina, Australia
“Lovely meal”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Over the years we have dined at Garlic Clove (first started eating there when it was at Carrara). We have enjoyed our experience every time and last night was just as pleasant. Wait staff were super friendly and they treated us to coffee at the end of our meal which was such a pleasant surprise. Meals were very enjoyable. The duck main course was super generous and extremely tasty. My fellow diners enjoyed their seafood crepes for entree and the crispy skinned chicken for main was moist and tasty. Thanks for a lovely night.

• Visited May 2014

Adelaide, Australia
“Great food & atmosphere!!”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Came here with my partner for dinner for our two year anniversary after a friend recommended it to us. Firstly, loved the location and wee french township atmosphere it had as we arrived with the beautiful fountain out front - made for some great photos!!

We were seated next to the window overlooking the waterways with a view of some of the buildings in surfers paradise, very pretty especially as it was getting dark. The service was excellent and we started off right away with cocktails (very well done, I had a perfect mojito!). We ordered oysters for our entree and they were delicious - then I had the fish as a main which was cooked perfect! It was a generous portion and only managed to eat three quarters of it yet really enjoyed it, lots of flavour and had the best potato mash in the dish I've ever had. Desert was great, I had an amazing mango gelato made in house.

Great spot for an anniversary or couples dinner, friendly staff gave us great service and we really enjoyed our meals and cocktails! Will definitely be back!

Broadbeach
“My husbands 60th Birthday party”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We just celebrated my husbands 60th Birthday in the Function room at the Garlic Clove. The Venue, the service and the food were of exceptional standard. We had 55 guests who all want to go back to this beautiful restaurant for another meal. Considering the amount of people all the food was cooked as required and we were amazed by the excellence in the service for so many people. We highly recommend this restaurant.

Gold Coast
“A shadow of it's former self!”
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have dined at the Garlic Clove on seven occasions over the past four years and have always found it to be excellent...until last night. Let's begin with the food. For entree we had the crumbed camembert with ginger dipping sauce and the confit pork. The cheese was a winner with the dipping sauce a highlight. The cut of pork was ordinary, but saved somewhat by the marinated bed of red cabbage. For main we had slow cooked steak on a bed of mashed potato (a special not on the regular menu) and the veal. The former was NOT worthy of a restaurant. The slow cooked pieces of steak were melt-in-your-mouth tender but the gravy sauce was almost tasteless and the mash was presented in a way a10-year-old could manage. The veal was cooked well, but again the white-wine and mushroom sauce was bland. In the past, the sauces have always been a highlight at the Garlic Clove...as you would expect from a French-inspired restaurant, but on this occasion they were insipid. For dessert we ordered the creme brûlée and sticky date pudding (another special not on the standard menu). The creme brûlée was delicious. The sticky date pudding was unavailable. Odd, given it was an advertised special for the evening and we were one of the earliest tables to order dessert. Instead I had the profiteroles, but wish I hadn't. The profiteroles tasted like they were a day old and the custard was flavourless. They were like the ones you can buy from the supermarket. Now for the service, which can best be described as minimal. Our unused wine glasses were not removed from our table for the entire evening. We had to get the attention of a waitress on more than one occasion even though there appeared to be plenty of staff and the restaurant wasn't completely full like it usually is on a Saturday night (perhaps word is already getting around that standards have dropped). When I asked for our bill the waitress brought it to us before clearing our dessert dishes and then didn't return to process payment...so I had to go to the counter myself where I waited for several minutes before anyone acknowledged me. The staff were friendly enough, but not trained as well as they used to be and one would expect at a restaurant of this kind.The traditional shot of port and chocolate with coffee were absent as was the balloon normally attached to the table for special occasions (it was our wedding anniversary). All the little touches which have made this place stand out in the past were absent. Every establishment can have a bad night, but there were too many deficiencies to our experience to use that as an excuse. We can only assume management has changed. I have given this restaurant an overall rating of 'Excellent' in the past and even written to management complimenting the service we have received from individual employees. This restaurant was special to us and we are devastated that it is now only a shadow of it's former self. We will NOT be giving it another chance. There are too many other options to choose from. I'm sorry Garlic Clove, but you have lost a long term customer who has been dining at your restaurant since you were located in Pappas Way, Carrara, more than a decade ago.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank Hanyut
Brisbane, Australia
“Ruined a wedding gift”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We just used this venue for my daughters wedding. We had booked a karaoke/video jukebox for the reception as a wedding gift. When I arrived, there were no microphones, however I had no time to chase this up and was quietly cranky with Gold Coast Lighting and sound. HOWEVER, I have found out that the staff of the restaurant, I believe it was their coordinator Bronte, have instructed the hire organisation to NOT leave the microphones, as they were concerned about noise levels. So when it came to speeches, one had to raise their voice very loudly. Also nobody could work out how to properly use the machine, yet apparently the same person was shown how to use it and asked, as the coordinator, to show the guests how to use it, which she did not do. I would STRONGLY suggest, if you want a hassle free venue with a more competent, co operative staff, do not use The Garlic Clove. The bride was looking forward to singing a particular song to her new husband. There were other issues with service right from the start. They were asked to switch on the air conditioning, which they didn't do. You can imagine how uncomfortable the small room we were all crammed into became.Thanks Garlic Clove, never again.

5 Thank Neil T