“Ruined a wedding gift” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Garlic Clove Restaurant - CLOSED

Garlic Clove Restaurant
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Award-winning French cuisine, stunning water views and colourful European architecture, complete with private function room, the Garlic Clove is a family friendly dining experience open 7 days for lunch, dinner, weddings and functions.Awards:* 2012 – Finalist Best European Restaurant* 2009 – Winner Best European Restaurant* 2009 – Finalist Best Family Restaurant* 2009 – Finalist People’s Choice Award* 2008 – Finalist Best European Restaurant* 2006 – Finalist People’s Choice Award for Excellence* 2005 – Finalist Best European Restaurant* 2005 – Winner Best European Restaurant* 2002 – Finalist Best Family Restaurant* 2000 – Finalist Best BYO Restaurant* 1999 – Winner Best BYO Restaurant
Brisbane, Australia
“Ruined a wedding gift”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

We just used this venue for my daughters wedding. We had booked a karaoke/video jukebox for the reception as a wedding gift. When I arrived, there were no microphones, however I had no time to chase this up and was quietly cranky with Gold Coast Lighting and sound. HOWEVER, I have found out that the staff of the restaurant, I believe it was their coordinator Bronte, have instructed the hire organisation to NOT leave the microphones, as they were concerned about noise levels. So when it came to speeches, one had to raise their voice very loudly. Also nobody could work out how to properly use the machine, yet apparently the same person was shown how to use it and asked, as the coordinator, to show the guests how to use it, which she did not do. I would STRONGLY suggest, if you want a hassle free venue with a more competent, co operative staff, do not use The Garlic Clove. The bride was looking forward to singing a particular song to her new husband. There were other issues with service right from the start. They were asked to switch on the air conditioning, which they didn't do. You can imagine how uncomfortable the small room we were all crammed into became.Thanks Garlic Clove, never again.

• Visited March 2014
5 Thank Neil T

New York City, New York
“A favourite restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

Tucked away in a quiet (unsuccessful) subdivision known as Emerald Lakes (near Metricon Stadium) is one of our favourite restaurants, The Garlic Clove. The restaurant serves French cuisine. The restaurant has a great view of a small lake during the daytime. We always find the food very enjoyable and the portion sizes are generous. I recommend either the seafood chowder (with its delicious fennel flavour) or the Belgian mussels. Unfortunately these are not part of the regular menu but are often available on the Specials menu. They have a good deal where you pay $60 for a 3 course meal. I also recommend the pork belly stuffed with macadamia nuts, the reef and beef or any of the fish courses. I have had better duck. The desserts include crème brulee, profiteroles, crepe Suzette, banana and butterscotch crepe, all of which are delicious. One of my few complaints is that on the last 2 occasions we have dined there the waiting staff were unaware that our order had not been taken which led to a long delay.
Advice: very good French food for a reasonable price.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank AussieDoc4217
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“Disappointing experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

Initial impressions were good, service was friendly and prompt and the Restuarant atmosphere built as the place became full. My entree was delicious, however I know the difference with good and bad pork - it's usually about 3 hours and on cue I'm sitting on the toilet writing this review. My main, the veal was ordered medium (never been asked before how I liked my veal cooked) however it was thick pieces of tasteless veal - overlook and chewy instead of the soft tender veal I was expected. Being a French Restuarant I expected flavoursome sauces - the mark of any good French Restuarant however the sauces was thin and quite tasteless. My wife had steak, medium well down however it was medium and that red on the inside my wife's wouldn't eat it. Maybe the waiter got our orders mixed up as my veal was well done and hers was medium.
The dessert was a disaster, my wife's cream brûlée was overcooked and dry, maybe a left over from last night as it didn't look freshly made. The funny thing was another cream brûlée came out and it was perfect - however this girl had complained about her main - the kitchen ran out of scallops so substituted her meal for another menu item. In my 25 years of working in hospitality and I never seen this done before.
Other 2 dinners at our table had ordered the dozen oysters each and another one had the 1/2 dozen however the waiter came out to say they only had a dozen oysters in total available for our table.
It was Saturday night and I find it hard to believe the kitchen would not be stocked for the major nights trade of the week. Two dinners had 1/2 dozen each and the other had to change his entree into rely. Eyebrows were raised she the table behind us which came in an hr after week arrived had a dozen oysters sent out on a single order.
The dessert was priced on the menu as $14.90 however it was only a small slice and the same as a $7.20 slice at The Coffee Club, definitely not double the price or double the quality. Tasted ok but being a French Restuarant I expected fresh, tasty desserts and this could have been brought at the IGA for $3.00
Overall the service from out waiter was good, some meals were messed up however he tried hard and was pleasant. The food started brilliantly but dropped off quickly - complaints were made from around the table and resulted in the evening ending on a sour note. Complaints to the management were ignored and no changes to the bill. Offers of complimentary food, drink or coffee in leau of mistakes and problems ended up on being included the bill. Always check your bill.
Rating is lower than it should be as the way the management handled our disputes was ordinary and the staff began to look at us like 'when are you going to leave' as our presence was making them uncomfortable. For speaking over $800 at the restaurant you would have thought they would have appreciated our business.

• Visited February 2014
4 Thank Anthony H
“For the price you will end up paying, you would expect a higher quality of food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

It seems as though this place is living in the memory of what it used to be.
When you a paying for a meal with high expectations and you are served something that was at a standard of generic pub grub , you are left with a sense of disappointment.
Who knows the chef might have had a bad night but either way it was the first and last time we will be eating there.
P.s.
Service was very nice

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Heff77
Gold Coast
“French Cuisine at Emerald Lakes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

Had family dinner celebrating a 21st birthday. The service was very friendly and prompt. We variously had the pork, lamb rack, duck & ham parma & everyone was very happy. I also had the escargo for an entry & this was really nicely presented & tasty.

• Visited December 2013