“Disappointing experience”

Garlic Clove Restaurant
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Award-winning French cuisine, stunning water views and colourful European architecture, complete with private function room, the Garlic Clove is a family friendly dining experience open 7 days for lunch, dinner, weddings and functions.Awards:* 2012 – Finalist Best European Restaurant* 2009 – Winner Best European Restaurant* 2009 – Finalist Best Family Restaurant* 2009 – Finalist People’s Choice Award* 2008 – Finalist Best European Restaurant* 2006 – Finalist People’s Choice Award for Excellence* 2005 – Finalist Best European Restaurant* 2005 – Winner Best European Restaurant* 2002 – Finalist Best Family Restaurant* 2000 – Finalist Best BYO Restaurant* 1999 – Winner Best BYO Restaurant
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“Disappointing experience”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Initial impressions were good, service was friendly and prompt and the Restuarant atmosphere built as the place became full. My entree was delicious, however I know the difference with good and bad pork - it's usually about 3 hours and on cue I'm sitting on the toilet writing this review. My main, the veal was ordered medium (never been asked before how I liked my veal cooked) however it was thick pieces of tasteless veal - overlook and chewy instead of the soft tender veal I was expected. Being a French Restuarant I expected flavoursome sauces - the mark of any good French Restuarant however the sauces was thin and quite tasteless. My wife had steak, medium well down however it was medium and that red on the inside my wife's wouldn't eat it. Maybe the waiter got our orders mixed up as my veal was well done and hers was medium.
The dessert was a disaster, my wife's cream brûlée was overcooked and dry, maybe a left over from last night as it didn't look freshly made. The funny thing was another cream brûlée came out and it was perfect - however this girl had complained about her main - the kitchen ran out of scallops so substituted her meal for another menu item. In my 25 years of working in hospitality and I never seen this done before.
Other 2 dinners at our table had ordered the dozen oysters each and another one had the 1/2 dozen however the waiter came out to say they only had a dozen oysters in total available for our table.
It was Saturday night and I find it hard to believe the kitchen would not be stocked for the major nights trade of the week. Two dinners had 1/2 dozen each and the other had to change his entree into rely. Eyebrows were raised she the table behind us which came in an hr after week arrived had a dozen oysters sent out on a single order.
The dessert was priced on the menu as $14.90 however it was only a small slice and the same as a $7.20 slice at The Coffee Club, definitely not double the price or double the quality. Tasted ok but being a French Restuarant I expected fresh, tasty desserts and this could have been brought at the IGA for $3.00
Overall the service from out waiter was good, some meals were messed up however he tried hard and was pleasant. The food started brilliantly but dropped off quickly - complaints were made from around the table and resulted in the evening ending on a sour note. Complaints to the management were ignored and no changes to the bill. Offers of complimentary food, drink or coffee in leau of mistakes and problems ended up on being included the bill. Always check your bill.
Rating is lower than it should be as the way the management handled our disputes was ordinary and the staff began to look at us like 'when are you going to leave' as our presence was making them uncomfortable. For speaking over $800 at the restaurant you would have thought they would have appreciated our business.

• Visited February 2014
4 Thank Anthony H

“For the price you will end up paying, you would expect a higher quality of food”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

It seems as though this place is living in the memory of what it used to be.
When you a paying for a meal with high expectations and you are served something that was at a standard of generic pub grub , you are left with a sense of disappointment.
Who knows the chef might have had a bad night but either way it was the first and last time we will be eating there.
P.s.
Service was very nice

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Heff77
Gold Coast
“French Cuisine at Emerald Lakes”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Had family dinner celebrating a 21st birthday. The service was very friendly and prompt. We variously had the pork, lamb rack, duck & ham parma & everyone was very happy. I also had the escargo for an entry & this was really nicely presented & tasty.

• Visited December 2013
Nerang, Australia
“Another Amazing Meal”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Recently the girls and I caught up for an early christmas dinner and we were once again impressed with the food at the Garlic Clove. 3/5 of us ate the roast pork which is devine and the crackling to die for. Service was a little slow on the night which for a wednesday in early december was not really expected. Can definitely recommend for the food & location.

• Visited December 2013
Brisbane, Australia
“Gets better every time I go”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I have been to Garlic Clove so many times on many different occassions. I always suggest it, if for a romantic dinner for two on valentines day, to a work lunch, family birthday dinner or high tea for my best friends bridal shower. Each time they have provided fantastic service and even better food.

• Visited December 2012