“The best hotel in Gladstone”
Review of Mercure Gladstone

Mercure Gladstone
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Gladstone
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I don't normally write reviews but because of the kindness of the staff and the beautiful rooms and the level of service, I wanted to share my experience. I first used the hotel last year when it was still under construction, most probably one of the first guests even though it looked like a building site the staff were nice and the rooms were one of the nicest i have stayed in, in Queensland, each time I come back the staff are always as courteous as the first time. A big thank you to Gavin and his team.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed at the Mercure Gladstone for one night in transit to Heron Island. We didn’t really choose to stay in Gladstone (does anybody?) but had no alternative. Anyway, there is not much to choose from in accommodations in Gladstone, they are very pricy for what they are, and I was glad that this new hotel was built as it gave a reasonable nights stay in an otherwise dreary town. It is like most other Mercure hotels I have stayed in for business, basic accommodations, but it was new, clean, and comfortable with very friendly staff. It worked just fine for us. Tip: there is a very good Indian take-out restaurant just a block away.

1  Thank Jeff W
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I spent about $100 more on this room than the one I stayed in the previous night (in Mackay), but I'm glad I did. The room was excellent - really nice design, furniture, artwork - felt luxurious :)
Comfortable beds, blockout curtains and a sliding partition to make two rooms meant for a good sleep. The staff were really helpful. It was my wife's birthday and there was a nice gift and card in the room when we arrived - thanks! I also asked for some paper and crayons for my son and the lady at the desk went and found some and offered to bring them up to the room.
The only complaint I had was that the bistro, which is part of the sports club and mostly outside allows smoking right next to the tables. I don't like eating with someone smoking a few metres away.
I would happily stay here again (but go to a different restaurant).

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Our family (two adults and two children) stayed there recently both before embarking for Heron Island and afterwards. We enjoyed it. It was very convenient, with three restaurants to choose from, and helpful courtesy pick-up and drop off from the airport and the port. The staff were excellent - friendly and cooperative. Our room was very good - very comfortable, clean and quiet. We would definitely stay there again. One area for improvement would be to have a luggage trolley, given that staff were not always available to take one's luggage to one's room; taking your luggage to your own room without such a trolley is a little awkward. The hotel would also benefit from having a swimming pool. (They are the only reasons that we give it an overall score of 4 stars instead of 5). Apart from that, an excellent place to stay.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

A disaster from the get go - scaffolding obscures entrance, Mercure reception behind sports club reception. Dress code says my 12-year-old daughter had to remove her beanie but rubber thongs and boardshorts are OK (which was popular attire for many of the club visitors). Had to lug our luggage from carpark to room because elevator access from carpark was closed off. Told no room service available - yet. Chinese restaurant did takeaway but had no cutlery with which to eat it - or, for some odd reason, softdrink to go with it. Daughter wanted to watch much-advertised fourth last episode of Merlin. Turned the TV on but no sound on Channel 10 - apparently hotel wide! Room fit-out though was great except only tepid water came from shower. Staff, however, were great especially Claire who should be given an award for grace under fire. Would never stay there again but expect problems will be ironed out eventually. Probably should advertise situation honestly on website so clients know what they're getting into.

Room Tip: Suites are very spacious
1  Thank Landl1999
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Great Rooms and the attached restaurants provide a wide range of easy food options. Ideal for the business or leisure traveller. Lots of regional QLD have very average hotels for crazy prices so was very surprised here. The hotel rooms are equivalent to 5 star hotels in the Sydney or Melbourne CBD. If you plan on sleeping be careful though as construction of part of the foyer is still in progress.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I was so happy to find out that a new hotel had arrived in Gladstone as I come here for work 5 or so times a year and have never been happy with the places I have stayed previously. I am very pleased that I chose to stay here, Although there are still some cosmetic renovations still going on and I agree with the previous comment that reception was tricky to find, I soon forgot all of that when I arrived in the room. They are spacious, clean, brand new and the facilities which are available are also wonderful. As long as there is a vacancy on my next trip - I will be back!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business