“Beachfront location, amazing pool area.”

Oaks Calypso Plaza Resort
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Coolangatta
Reviewed January 6, 2013

If you love your lagoon style pools, you will LOVE this resort. It was one of the best pools I have been in. Kids (and us young at heart adults!) love the water slides and the lovely grass area around the pool made it ideal for our toddler to play while entering/exiting the pool using the beach style area. The apartment we stayed in really needed some better quality bedding, there was a light doona that was at the end of its life placed between two sheets and when making the bed I noticed blood stains of some sort on the doona. It was very handy having a kitchen and a great idea to include a washing machine and dryer in the bathroom.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ref977
ManagerCalypso, Manager at Oaks Calypso Plaza Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Oaks Calypso Plaza on Trip Advisor, we are extremely lucky to have the fantastic pool area and outdoor space at Calypso Plaza.
I was disappointed to hear that your room could have been better equipped and cleaner than what you found, this is not Oaks standards and I apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Our rooms are planned for a refurbishment in the near future and I am sure you will find that the new look rooms will be more appealing. We do hope that we can welcome you back and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Second time we have stayed here. Rooms are basic but have everything you need. Great pool for both adults and separate kids pool which is really good. Walk across the road to the beach, and playgrounds. Walk out the gates to the restaurants. Great place for an easy relaxing stay - not crazy like the gold coast and 10 minutes to the airport. We will be back!

• Stayed: December 2012

All of the staff at Oaks Calypso Plaza were happy to hear that you enjoyed your second stay with us over Christmas. Coolangatta is away from the hustle of the other Gold Coast Resorts and the busier suburbs, and the pool area is unique.
We look forward to welcoming you back again for a third visit with us in the near future.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

We stayed at Calypso this Christmas break, and we loved it. The location is perfect, specially if you are into surf, so close to the best spots like Rainbow Bay, Snapper Rocks and Green mount. The staff was so friendly, room was large enough for 2 and clean. The only thing I was disappointed was with the swimming pool lighting (I know, very picky!) but it's such a lovely pool, surrounded by palm trees... Amazing. But at night it is dark and boring. How cool would it be if the area was nicely illuminated!? Just a suggestion. We wouldn't hesitate to go back though!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GigiYM
ManagerCalypso, Manager at Oaks Calypso Plaza Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a response on Trip Advisor. All of the staff at Calypso Plaza are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us over Christmas and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future. We will definitly look in to your suggestion of extra lighting around the pool area.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

Great location on beachfront, the kids spent each morning surfing and playing at the beach and then in the afternoon we stayed around the pool which had a great waterside that the kids loved. Great place wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

We are all happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Calypso Plaza over this years Christmas break. Calypso is quite unique with the water slides for all of the younger guests that stay with us and creates a lot of enjoyment for family's .
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again in the future and thank you for taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights for a weekend away staff were friendly. Stayed in a 1br and was a good size and clean. The lagoon pool was was great to cool down in however not recommended to swim or go in if you like crystal clear water. Even with families there still found it to be quiet and peaceful and would recommend it and stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2012
ManagerCalypso, Manager at Oaks Calypso Plaza Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Trip Advsior regrading your stay with us this month. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our Resort in Coolangatta and would love to welcome you back in the future to once again enjoy all of the facilities Oaks Calypso Plaza have to offer.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We have just booked our 3rd holiday in as many years at Calypso Coolangatta. In the past we've had 1 and 2br apartments which have been great and we've booked a Deluxe Executive 2br, 2 storey apartment this Christmas - can't wait. The resort is ideally situated, very family friendly and we've found the desk staff to be approachable and attentive. Sure it does show small areas of wear and tear but don't we all! I highly recommend it and we wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: If your budget can stretch to a slightly better room, I'd say do it. Also being such a family...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
ManagerCalypso, Manager at Oaks Calypso Plaza Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, we are very happy to hear that you will once again be returning to Oaks Calypso Plaza for your third visit . All of the staff at Calypso Plaza look forward to welcoming you back again with us New Year and we are sure you will enjoy your time with us once again.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Firstly the reception staff are lovely...though I booked a 2 bedroom apartment for our grown up family and not know what duel key rooms meant was given two separate rooms though it had one entrance...false advertising I say...when I phoned reception they said that is our 2 b/room apmts ...I said I've stayed here before and they were not these to separate room set up she said owe well that's the 2 b/room executive apmts and they are more expensive and they didn't have any left....she then said she could bring 2 door stops so I could open both doors to the rooms so it seemed together...lol We then were going out for dinner and was leaving my key for when my son arrive and over heard the person behind the counter say to another person that was complaining about the room that they did have Two 2 b/room executive apmts block out and available and would wait for the manager to confirm they could be changed...I just thought well I've been told a lie and thought I'm over it as I was done here for a 2 night stay with my family before my cancer treatment ...though it would have been better if we got what I thought I booked. In relation to the rooms ...they do need updated ...was in a great location and that's one of the reason why I booked...prob won't go back though!

Room Tip: Read the fine print when you are emailed deals from Oaks Resorts!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
ManagerCalypso, Manager at Oaks Calypso Plaza Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Thank you for reviewing Calypso Plaza on Trip Advisor, we are sorry that your were not entirely happy during your stay with us and our room set up of all 2 Bedroom Dual Keys.
I would like to apologise to you for the misunderstanding regarding a blocked 2 Bedroom Executive we have had one of these room types blocked out for maintenance and renovation this month, the staff member obviusly noted the room block and was unaware that it was not a sellable room during this time period.
Once again I would like to apologise to you and your family and we do hope that you will return and stay with us again in a 2 Bedroom Executive Apartment in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coolangatta
0 mi away
Mantra Twin Towns
Mantra Twin Towns
#3 of 12 in Coolangatta
Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Gold Coast

Been to Oaks Calypso Plaza Resort? Share your experiences!