“Great location & nice friendly atmosphere”

The Coolangatta Hotel
Ranked #31 of 153 Restaurants in Coolangatta
Cairns, Australia
“Great location & nice friendly atmosphere”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

The outdoor bar overlooking the beach & ocean is one of the better places around to spend a relaxing afternoon having a drink & chatting with the friendly locals. Friendly, chilled out atmosphere. Good food options & very friendly & helpful staff throughout.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Pantherboy

Tweed Heads, Australia
“Places to lunch”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Sometimes you find what you want at your doorstep, and so it was on my two mid week visits ( Tuesday and Thursday) for lunch at the ‘Coolangatta Hotel’ in Marine parade this week.

On both occasions, with different staff on duty, the service was friendly and attentive with a welcoming attitude and obliging staff.

It has been some years since I visited the ‘Cooly Pub,’ and the difference was very pleasing on many levels.The hotel has been renovated since I was last there, and I really like the wood tables with comfortable chairs, cutlery at the table with serviettes, and table service. The general layout of the dining room with the cosy outdoor seating, and the division of the dining area from the public bar and outdoor smoking area was very well designed.The best I have experienced.
Thought has been given to the table arrangements, so that all tables had some sort of view of the ocean across the road. Good one.

My biggest complaint with any eating/pub/club establishment is loud piped music that prevents conversation, and wide screen blaring TV sets on every wall. This was not an issue at the Coolangatta Hotel. There was piped music in the public bar section, but we couldn’t hear it in the dining area. Brilliant! Congratulations to management. I will nominate this pub as a ‘quiet space’ for lunchtime diners.

The menu was extensive and competitively priced with lunchtime specials and a pizza menu as well. The chef and our waiter were very obliging in slightly modifying a dish for me. Much appreciated. The servings were very generous and I enjoyed my meal, as did my companion.

I think Management has achieved a good ambience between their daytime ( lunch) customers, and their night time customers who might go to the hotel for a party atmosphere. We appreciated the quiet and thoughtful, friendly service at lunch, and the opportunity to engage in conversation without competing with ‘piped noise’. I’m not sure what it would be like during the tourist high season or on weekends, but for weekday lunch dining this week, it suited us perfectly, and I recommend it.

For us, it was a very relaxing and pleasant lunch, and we enjoyed ourselves for over 3 hours on both days, which included some time in the discreet poker machine lounge at the far end of the pub with our courtesy poker machine vouchers.The lounge staff member also presented us with a complimentary drink while we were in there.Little courtesies count when deciding where to spend our money, and there were plenty from the staff at this hotel.

• Visited October 2013