“Very tidy hostel”

Coolangatta Sands Backpackers
Brisbane, Australia
“Very tidy hostel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed in this hostel in Sept 2012 during a university break with friends. Although we only stayed here overnight, I thought the concept was really cool. The rooms opened out onto the balcony where people could easily chill and was a good way to meet people. The bar downstairs appeared more like a local watering hole, so it didn't appear like a normal backpackers bar.

I could sympathize with other reviewers regarding staff. But I guess this is the norm for hostels in Australia, which tend to be staffed by backpackers themselves which don't have too much interest in delivering outstanding service. But nonetheless I can't complain with the service we received.

The bathrooms were clean and great, in regards to privacy etc. I would return if ever passing through Coolangatta again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
vic, australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

3 middle aged Aussie women enjoyed staying at the Sands,cheap with air con in all rooms with clean fresh linen clean kitchen clean showers and toilets. Friendly staff.Two complaints there was dust on the floor in our room and there wasnt a battery in the smoke alarm.I the pub down stairs top $10 meals .Very close to the excellent beach and supermarket coffee shops and shopping in general.Will stay again for sure

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank claireread
South Coast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

Unlike previous comments, we found staff & fellow stayers friendly. You get what you pay for...a bed, a shower , toilet and shared kitchen..!!!
On the down side for us, was a fire alarm without a battery.. Was going to be fixed but wasnt. A bit rowdy, but it was the Cooly weekend. Unfortunately, there was a horrible smell in the toilets, but it was in the street behind the hostel too, so we think a major problem in the area.
We would stay again.

• Stayed June 2013
Newcastle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Started with rude staff, young lady on the desk doesnt speak, just rolls her eyes when I had to see her about room keys that didnt work, cleaners left our door open etc. I would have been quite happy to have an uneventful stay and not have to bother her but what can you do when locked out of your own room. Unfortunately the only place in town that had room available.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Coolangatta hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

This hostel is 2 minutes from the beach and right on the shopping and food strip!

The rooms are directly above a bar but it is surprisingly quiet upstairs. We were in on a Saturday and had no problems with noise.

The room itself was small and clasterphobic but we were out on the town most of the time anyway.

We got the service we asked for and the receptionists were pretty polite about our questions.

We got a double private room and the bed was just two bunkbeds pushed together. The top bunk was divided by security bars so it was kind of pushing it with the 'double' room title. Also, one of the upper bunkbeds had an unflattering yellow stain. The linens we were provided were freshly cleaned and folded for our use however.

My travel companion saw a cockroach during a midnight bathroom trip. Though it was a small baby, presumably its family is nearby.

Overall, it was acceptable for the use we gave it.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Fresh_Heir
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights as we heard cooly was a nice town! That is correct! One of my favouritr places so far, reccomend ed ! The hostel was o.k. Rooms were modern and had good mattresses , however the staff were just a bit miserable & it felt like they were doing me a favour staying there !!!! The guy was just unfreindly. Not helpful. Great location! I heard there's better hostels on the town! Comune I heard was better! Shop around

• Stayed April 2013
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I arrived there and the first thing I have seen in my bed were dust and dirt.
I asked to change which was no problem.
After making my bed again I that the blanket is quite disgusting and the linen partially black. I guess they were all very old.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coolangatta
Greenmount Beach Resort
Coolangatta / Kirra Beach YHA
Coolangatta Ocean View Motel
Coolangatta Ocean View Motel
#12 of 12 in Coolangatta

Been to Coolangatta Sands Backpackers? Share your experiences!