“One perfect night in the penthouse”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Komune Resort

Komune Resort
Mermaid Beach, Australia
“One perfect night in the penthouse”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed for one night in the penthouse and it was fantastic. The resort is located in a very central location, across the road from the beach and close to several restaurants and shops. It is great having the bar on the bottom level with a delicious taco bar too and perfect pool area. The penthouse has stunning views of Kirra, Rainbow Bay and Snapper beaches. It was pristine clean with super comfortable beds, great bathrooms, kitchen, spa, everything you need. It was a perfect stay, definitely recommend staying in the penthouse if you get the chance.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 29, 2013

stay only a night to stopover. it was sucha a pity that the wifi was only available on the ground level. it would be great is its to the whole hostel. rooms was alright but the bed was filled with sand which was disturbing. i wish you had more power points in the dorms as well. its so inconvenient. the toilet door wasnt able to lock so it was so werid..i hope you get it fix. they have a washer in the toilet to use for free so that was nice. breakfast was included and a really love that. there is also a supermarket which is just within walking distance.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night and it was good. The room was nice and i liked the onsuit bathroom ! Also i had see view. Got checked in quickly and had No problem leaving early before check out time. The location looked perfect for surfers ! Cheers

• Stayed June 2013
Noosa Heads, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Very expensive place to stay for what you get. They cleaned our couch and left it wet while were staying there. Who does that when guests are staying? We would have paid an extra couple of hundred dollars to stay up the road for a five star place if we had known how dated it was. There was no drier and no pegs to hang washing out. I had to buy my own. To top it off, the reception people forgot to take the payment off our credit card. We had no idea. We got a receipt from them! They then rang us at 9pm at night nearly 6 weeks later and demand we pay them - like it was our fault! K
On a Friday night mind you when we could not verify with our bank if it had been paid or not. They continued to harass us. We gave them our credit card details again and the rang the next day to say they had " lost" them!!!!! Un bloody believable. We will never stay here again and will not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Coolangatta hotels

Sydney, NSW
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I understand a hotel needs to make money which is probably why they offer rooms to backpackers, but it felt like this was a bar first and dorms were an afterthought. I don't know anything about the hotel rooms so I can't comment.

Yes, there's that cliche that backpackers party all night and relax on the beach all day, but not everyone who stays in a hostel wants to do that. My dorm room was right on top of the bar, reception were hard to reach at times (they were very friendly though, and I admit I didn't ask about hostel facilities so even though I wasn't told anything they may have assisted if I'd asked), I said at time of booking I would be arriving from the airport at 10pm but was given no indication reception would close at 9pm and nothing on Hostelworld said this nor was it listed in my confirmation email (a bar girl gave me a room key, took my payment, but gave me no bed linen or any information, reception did apologise the next day), but the fact there was loud music and loud drunk people until midnight every night it was impossible to sleep, and unless given a room far away from the noise I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone wanting to sleep before midnight. I'd arrived straight off a plane after a long day at work, I needed sleep and I wasn't able to. It's a shame as this place is in a perfect location and the free wifi was handy, the bathroom was acceptable, and the bed was clean and reasonable. I had 2 guys in my room complain there was no kitchen, to which I said there are cheap food options nearby.

This is a prime example of a hostel with the potential to be great but with a few tiny changes could be amazing. Reception seemed nice and I'm sure they have good intentions and I do sympathise with them, but it just needs work. If people want to sleep before midnight, give people the option of staying in the noisy room if they want to party, or offer a room away from the noise. For the meantime it's just another hostel I'll avoid, which is a shame because this is the only hostel in Coolangatta town so I'll probably never stay in that town ever again. The YHA was in a bad location, but I saw camping grounds in Burleigh Heads so that might be a better budget option. However if Komune has a dorm room that is quiet and reception are more attentive, I will return.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep before midnight, ask to not be in room 23.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
komuneresort, Owner at Komune Resort, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Hi Jeb.

Firstly we sincerely apologize for you checking in without being provided linen. Our reception staff stayed back until 10pm waiting for you and incorrectly assumed you were a no show.

We do advertise that reception hours are until 9pm on our website and we have a 24 hour caretaker on premise whose number is displayed on the front door and at reception for circumstances like these with late check ins.

We also make it clear we have no hostel kitchen instead we serve a free breakfast for hostel customers and provide high quality food at a reasonable price in our restaurant and bar.

After this issue with your booking we will review our late check in processes again to ensure this problem doesn't happen again.

Thankyou for your nice comments about the friendly staff and facilities - we appreciate this as well as your ratings on our location, cleanliness and facilities.

We do hope that you will give Coolangatta and our resort a second chance one day.

The Komune Team
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 27, 2013

If you like to surf this is the place to stay. 80 metres to the water. Conformable beds, dooms cleaned daily, friendly staff, simple breakfast, clothes washing machine within room. I had one problem with the room, it was fixed straight away. One limitation, it can be noisy on a Fri night, if you're looking for a early get up. Overall very good place to stay. I'd stay again.

Note: Grace at front reception was also very helpful with information and a friendly smile.

BC - Melbourne

Room Tip: Rooms at second level have a great view at sunset.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Komune is a great place to stay and ideal for any travelling surfers as its opposite Greenmount beach which is preceded by rainbow bay and the world famous snapper rocks.
The rooms are clean, light and very spacious for shared accommodation there is always a good breeze running through so when I stayed I had no problem with being to hot at night. There is a free breakfast for room sharers but no kitchen to cook lunch or evening meal... Locally plenty of places to eat for all budgets and a woolworths and Coles nearby. I ended up using Komune as central base and in total spent a month in week long blocks staying. The weekday evenings are verry quiet but the party livens up at the weekend ... Happily stay again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo