“Awesome! ”

Adina Apartment Hotel Wollongong
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Wollongong
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Stayed there while we were performing at the Illawarra theatre and they were very good to us. Lovely reception staff and our rooms were looked after extremely well.
Highly recommended to all staying temporarily in Wollongong!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Jay H, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Wollongong, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Hello Jaxon D,

The team and I are so happy to hear you found the hotel to be – AWESOME!
Thanks for the great review.

We all enjoyed having you with us, so much so, that some of the team caught your show at the Illawarra Performing Arts Centre on closing night and found it to be fantastic and absolutely hysterical!

Please make sure you stop in next time you are in Wollongong, we would love to see you again.

Regards,

There are newer reviews for Adina Apartment Hotel Wollongong

Reviewed March 20, 2014

The Adina Wollongong staff was amazing. I stayed in Wollongong NSW on business and my new company eeStrategy put me up at the Adina for two weeks. The staff made my stay very comfortable.They even gave me a bottle of wine on my birthday, March 17th. Here's to the entire Adina Wollongong Australia family. Thanks very much. Hoping to see you at least 2-4 times a year.

Jamie Clark
eeStrategy
San Francisco, CA

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Hello JamieClark,

It was an absolute pleasure having you stay with us, and what a bonus being able to celebrate your birthday!
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on our page, it’s very much appreciated.

FYI - your “Australian Adina Family” can’t wait to welcome you back, we hope to see you again in the near future!

Talk soon,

Reviewed March 18, 2014

We needed two nights in Wollongong, mainly as a base to have a look around and catch up with some friends from the area. Finding the Adina (formerly Medina) with a well-know web booking service, it seemed we had struck gold; heated indoor pool, balcony, large self-catering unit, and all for a reasonable price. It was an “upgrade special”.
At check-in, the two women present at reception made an instant impression as warm and welcoming. Nobody else was present, my wife having waited in the car as we were proceeding to the underground car park straight after check-in.

But back to the check in. One of the women took the lead with the formalities and I detected just a hint of smarminess as she said very audibly but to nobody in particular, “Ok, let’s see, it’s a web special. Which room shall we give them.” An odd comment to be making, I thought to myself; is she having a lend of me? Is she going to give us a dodgy room?
“Room 109. It’s on the first floor” she said, the charm offensive unabated. Since this was a multi storey establishment—6 levels plus basement car parking—-we wouldn't be getting panoramic views. That’s probably just the luck of the draw I told myself; maybe it’s a nice room regardless of the lack of altitude. After all, it’s an “upgrade special”!

To my regret, I didn’t really notice right away what was fundamentally wrong with room 109. There is always a lot to take in. We opened the door, turned on some lights. My first impressions were of the large size, and an unpleasant odour which my wife could not discern.
“It’s pretty dark”, she said, opening the curtains. Yes, it was DARK; hardly any natural light; the large balcony window at the end of the living area wasn't letting in much natural light. The “view” was of the bland concrete planter box and the wall of the building very close next door. Small trees in the planter box have evidently grown to fill the restricted space between the two buildings, and soak up most of the very limited light.

Because we had limited time and we had to meet friends for drinks and dinner, and because we hadn't yet really focused our attention on the problem, we let it go. We had no idea at that point that we had, in fact, been dudded. It was only the next day, after having a better look at the building from outside, that we realised that ours was probably only two or three in the whole complex that didn't have a bright, sunny balcony and or appropriate natural light. It was a bright, sunny day outside, but inside the apartment I even couldn't even see the time on my watch unless lights were turned on.

The thought, of being conned, of being misled, of being made a sucker of, was perhaps as depressing as the darkness itself. I wasn't about to compound the situation by making a big fuss and creating angst, but in all conscience when I saw the good reviews others had given this establishment, I could not let others be conned. Balcony implies air and light, no? Aren’t there minimum natural light requirements in the building code?

Please, if you stay here on Level one, make sure you inspect the room first.
Can I share a few other problems we encountered at Adina?

First, one side of our two-seater couch was extremely uncomfortable. It was obviously broken internally.

Second, there was no ice in the ice-block containers in the freezer. Since I enjoy a whisky on the rocks before dinner, this is a common irritant for me in hotel rooms.

Third, the spa was “out of order”.

Fourth, the allegedly “heated” pool was cold. The water temperature made me think that somebody had gathered up all of the hotel’s ice blocks (including the missing ice from our room) and deposited the totality thereof into the pool.

Fifth, the wi-fi is an annoying pay extra. I attempted to log on twice. It did not recognize my name and room number, so I used my phone hot spot.

Sixth, I noticed the unpleasant odour each time I entered the apartment.

At check out, a different staff member was on duty.

Car parking was $10 per day extra. Fair enough. Wine that had been left in our room, with no prices shown anywhere, was billed at $25 per bottle. OK, so that wasn't complimentary or part of the “upgrade special”.

The staff member asked me how it had been “Well, actually it was very dark in the room” I said.
”You should have said something. We might have been able to do something.”

Her reply was telling. The lack of surprise at my comment suggested that I was not the first to complain about the darkness of that room. Further, in the circumstances, the suggestion as to what I as a guest “should have” done was a most unhelpful comment.

I decided not to pursue it with her. Maybe I’ll receive a call from management later, I thought. I didn't.

All in all, I felt disappointed, demeaned and degraded by my “upgrade” experience at the hotel.

Room Tip: If you stay here on Level one, make sure you inspect the room first.
Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Terry M

Dear Terry M,

Let me begin by saying it is quite upsetting for me to read your review.

The receptionist who checked you in and welcomed you to the hotel is a vibrant, passionate guest service focused team member and I believe you may have miss-interpreted her communication to you.

We allocate rooms on arrival, as in your case with room #109. To clarify, we do not allocate at any time with preferences in regard to reservation type or booking process.
You are correct that your booking type was an upgrade special. In essence, this package allows a guest to pay for a studio room and be upgraded to a 1 bedroom apartment with a fully equipped kitchen, washer and Dryer and extra space. Apartment #109 is one of our most spacious 1 bedroom apartments within the hotel, located towards the back of the building offering privacy in one of the quietest areas of the building. For some guests this is ideal, others may prefer a different area of the building. We do our best to meet every request.

I apologise if there was some kind of odour, I have inspected the apartment recently and nothing appeared out of standard to me. It is difficult to comment as some time has passed from your stay to me receiving your review but there are no notes in any log in regard to this.

It is common hotel standard to not fill ice trays for health and hygiene standards. We are more than happy to have these filled on arrival ready for you if requested, or we can supply an Ice bucket full of Ice to your apartment 24 hours a day from our centralised Ice machine, again if requested.

Our pool is heated to 25 degrees Celsius and tested twice daily. The spa was not out of order at any time whilst you were with us. I can assume that you visited our leisure area on Monday which is when we do our weekly clean, refill and chemical stabilise of the spa. I apologise if this is when you were there, as this is only a 4 hour process each Monday morning to meet regulations. Apart from this the spa is available during the designated times, 7 days a week.

Your package included either a complimentary late check-out of midday, or a bottle of wine on check in. The notes on your booking indicate that you selected the late check out option. The bottle of wine in the apartment was part of the hotels minibar selection. I am surprised there was any confusion as you selected the late check-out option on check in and the wine was sitting on a tray with a selection of other items available to purchase with a price list alongside it. Apologies if this was unclear.

In your words I wish you had a made a “big fuss” whilst with us as we would have had the opportunity to have offered you a selection of options such as a room move, extra inclusions or something outside the hotel to make your time in Wollongong more enjoyable just to name a few. It is difficult for us to rectify a problem if we are unaware of it at the time.

I do regret that your experience was not all you hoped for, if you would like to discuss further please feel free to contact me at the hotel direct.

I hope you may give us the opportunity to one day show you how fabulous Adina Wollongong and this team can be with a second visit.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Stay in this hotel for a day. The price is very reasonable the room services I received. The hotel provide parking for a price of AUD10 which is quite reasonable. Walking distance to beach, cafes and restaurants. The room is clean and in excellent condition. I was particularly pleased the view from my balcony. It is overlong the sea. Will definitely stay in this hotel again.

Dear YeeSin,

Thank you so much for your fabulous titled review - “Excellent location and friendly staff.”

It is so warming to read that you found the hotel to be clean and in excellent condition and our location within walking distance to the beach, cafes and restaurants.

Adina really is in a great location, central to all Wollongong has to offer!

The team and I can’t wait to welcome you back, and hope to see you both again in the near future.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the Adina apartments, however some things were far from good. The hotel was exceptionally noisy on a Friday and Saturday night due to a pub/club downstairs that doesn't decrease music and noise until at least 1.30am. The rooms are much smaller than they appear on the website. The room was nice, just not what was expected. The bed was very uncomfortable and sank in the middle causing me to wake up several times during the night. You were only given two towels, so if you were staying as a couple, as we were, there were not enough towels for my partner and I to haves shower and for her to wash her hair. It is also expected that you pay $10 a night for parking, however, they openly admit they have no where near enough spaces for the paying hotel guests. So, you pay for parking and if you miss out then you still have to pay for it and it's just bad luck. I was able to secure a spot each night, however, had to have the car parked by 5pm and then walk everywhere, limited us to what we could do. Overall, not terrible but definitely much worse than expected and most definitely not value for money.

• Stayed: March 2014
Jay H, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Wollongong, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Good Evening Nicksyd90,

Thank you for your review.

I am quite disappointed to read that your experience was not what you were expecting, allow me to clarify some points for you:

Dagwood, the bar you are referring to downstairs, closes each night at midnight. There shouldn’t be noise/music after this time.
I apologise if there was and I will follow up with the Bar Manager in regard to this.

As a standard we supply two towels in each apartment, if requested we will always deliver more to your apartment at any time.
Next time, please feel free to contact reception we are available 24 hours a day and will happily assist.

Adina Wollongong offers limited car parking to all guests. We advertise that this is subject to availability at the rate of $10.00 overnight.
In the event that a space is not secured due the car park filling, we would never charge. Reception will always confirm on check out with our guests that a parking bay was secured.
I assure you it is not as you have mentioned above - if you miss out, bad luck you pay.

I apologise again for your stay not being all you had hoped for, and please feel free to contact me at the hotel if you would like to discuss further.

Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

We booked a 1 bed room apartment on the web site 2 days prior to check in. Adina deserves to be the leading hotel in Wollongong on Tripadvisor. Good points - located in the centre of the city, amongst cafés, restaurants and close to the beach. Room was very clean, front office staff were extremely friendly and helpful, large room, quiet and only about 4-5 years old. Things that can be improved to make the hotel perfect - the TV screen is tiny in the living room, more than 2 bath towels should be available for use. The cafe downstairs ran out if coffee beans on a Sunday morning. Overall a very good hotel.

3  Thank Tweedie888

Dear Tweedie888,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review in regard to your recent stay.

It is great to hear that in your opinion we deserve to be the leading hotel in Wollongong on Tripadvisor. – I agree with you!

We have fantastic reception and housekeeping teams and I’m happy you noticed this whilst with us.

Next time, please feel free to ask for some extra towels and we can have these sent up to you anytime.
I will also pass your comments along to Dagwood in regard to the coffee.

Hope to see you again soon,

Warm Regards,

Reviewed February 26, 2014

My husband and i stayed at the Adina Wollongong for only one night. The staff were very friendly .Wade was most helpful and nothing was a problem, even down to calling a cab for us.We will be staying there again in the future. Thank you Phyllis and Ray

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank phyllis b
Jay H, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Wollongong, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

phyllis b,

Thank you for your review and in particular your comments regarding Wade.

Wade has recently joined our team and I am so glad he was able to assist you, he is a leader in customer service and I’m delighted you were able to experience this!

Phyllis and Ray, myself, Wade and all the Adina team can’t wait to welcome you back in the near future.

Warm Regards,