“Very handy location”

Adina Apartment Hotel Wollongong
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Wollongong
“Very handy location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed 3 nights between Christmas and New Year, deciding to try something different to the usual. The staff at the front desk were great - very friendly, helpful and polite. However a few little things really made a difference to our stay.

Firstly there is onsite parking but no guarantee of a spot in a small, difficult and tight parking basement. Forget trying to get a park after 5pm. Just put it on the street and save yourself the $10 parking fee. It is pretty well in walking distance to everything you need in Wollongong so forget getting the car out at all.

The hotel was very full during our stay and we found the housekeeping could not manage very well. The first day our room was not made up until after 4pm. They didn't make the bed, they left a rag on the floor in the bathroom, did not supply us with clean facecloths or refresh our supply of milk for coffee. I called the reception and everything was fixed quickly.

However on the second day the room was made up some time between 1.30 and 3.30 pm. This time the bed was half made (badly) and there were no towels or facecloths at all. Also the orange juice we had from the minibar was not replaced. I again called reception and was apologetically told they had not finished washing all the towels yet and I would get them once they were ready. I could not believe there were not enough towels in the hotels to go around.

Sienna'sDad went and had a workout in the gym but said it was really a minigym with only 3 machines in a very small room. He also said the pool was tiny. I didn't bother.

There is no room service from the hotel. Samara's in Corrimal Street will do a takeout menu and deliver to your room. It is delicious (see my review) but beware the portions are HUGE!. If you don't like Lebanese food go to one of the many cafes & restaurants within 3 mins walk of the hotel instead.

The bed was very soft which was lovely but Sienna'sDad spent all night right in the middle of it because we just kept rolling into the middle.

On the whole the place was clean, quiet and centrally located. The staff were friendly and helpful and eager to put things right. Would I stay again - maybe not. Great for business but not so great for our annual beach holiday. We expected more.....

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and got a south facing room, 315. The room itself was quiet but the hallwa...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SiennasMum
Jay H, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Wollongong, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear SiennasMum,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review in regard to your recent stay at Adina Wollongong.

I am happy to hear you found the team to be – “very friendly, helpful and polite.”

With regard to your comments regarding towels and housekeeping, during the time you were with us we had a washing machine malfunction which caused significant delays for our housekeeping team and further delays in getting a technician on site over the holiday period. Whilst this is no excuse, I apologise for the inconvenience this caused you. I assure you this is not normal practice.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Toga Hotels in the near future and please feel free to contact me personally if I can assist in any way further.

Jay Hore | Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here overnight for a business trip. Very nice and comfortable stay, room very welcoming and well maintained. No fuss, would stay again.

Good selection of restaurants a very short walk away.

Based on my stay here, I also elected to stay at the Adina in Adelaide afterwards.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear mellies_world01,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback.

I am happy to hear you found the hotel to be well situated, with a good selection of restaurants close by.

I also stayed at the Adina Apartment Hotel Adelaide Treasury back in November; I hope you found this Heritage listed hotel as beautiful as I did!

I look forward to welcoming you back to Adina Wollongong and Toga Hotels in the near future.

Sunshine Coast, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment in the Adina Wollongong for 3 nights while attending a friend's wedding.
The apartment was spacious, clean and well appointed.
The apartment offered on-site parking for a nominal fee ($10 per day) but was on a "first in best dressed" basis which we thought was a bit odd. Fortunately we only had a teeny tiny hire car and managed to secure a spot each time we needed it - but it would have been a pain not to be guaranteed parking had we been in that position.
The apartment was really well located with loads of restaurants / cafes within easy walking distance.
We would stay there again. Staff were pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Jay H, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Wollongong, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Julia K,

Thank you for your wonderfully titled review – “Modern, clean apartment - well located in Wollongong”

I have to agree that Adina Wollongong has a fantastic central location, close to some of the best restaurants and cafes that Wollongong has to offer!

I look forward to welcoming you back to Adina and Toga Hotels in the near future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

My family and I stayed here for just the one night, on level one of the building, in a one bedroom apartment. The stay was short, but pleasant. I've stayed in better, and i've stayed in worse.

* The apartment was clean, incl the bathroom. The bath was nice and long, shower too small. Kitchen on the smallish size, but as we didn't cook during the stay, it was not really an issue.

* despite being on the first level, and there being some sort of Christmas party in the bar downstairs, i found the location very quiet.

* both tv's worked without issue, and the bedroom was a good medium sized room. Bed comfortable.

* check-in was quick, the girl at the counter was nice enough. Not overly engaging, but not rude.

* we had no difficulty with parking

* i found Wollongong CBD itself quite dull, but the beach was lovely. Everything was within a comfortable walking distance from the apartment.

* would recommend to anyone staying in Wollongong

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Savy_Sydney_Lily,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review.

I am delighted to hear that you would recommend Adina to anyone staying Wollongong, a personal recommendation is the strongest form of advertising!

Please feel free to contact me personally the next time you are travelling to Wollongong and I will do all I can to look after you and your guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Toga Hotels in the near future.

Queenstown, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

These apartments are really well located 5 minutes walk from the beach and 1 minute to a busy restaurant strip. We stayed in a studio apartment which was very spacious and comfortable. Don't expect cooking facilities beyond a microwave but with so many places for meals around you why would you cook?

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Paula B,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback.

I am happy to hear you found the hotel to be well situated, and close to all that Wollongong has to offer!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

I was upgraded from a studio room to a one-BR apartment which was spacious and well-appointed, even having a dish-washer, microwave and full size stove/oven - huge bathroom, very pleasant rooms. The staff were extremely helpful and pleasant, giving directions and recommending restaurants. The only drawbacks are that there is no restaurant, not even for breakfast, and the wifi connection for the computer is quite expensive. Location is good, close to the beach and transport.

Room Tip: The one-BR apartment was definitely worth it!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear brockie14,

I am delighted to read your review and in particular your comments on customer service - “the staff were extremely helpful and pleasant, giving directions and recommending restaurants.”

Whilst we don’t have a restaurant on site for breakfast, we offer a chargeback service at various restaurants and cafes close by for all meal periods.
Perhaps next time the team can recommend one of these to you for breakfast.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Adina the next time you visit Wollongong.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed in a studio apartment for one night as part of a road trip from Sydney to Melbourne. Although the room was a little small it was very comfortable. A problem with the TV was very quickly attended to by one of the housekeeping staff. For a one night stopover this establishment is ideal given it's closeness to the CBD, nearby beach and lighthouse. (take your camera) The Crown Street Mall, which was under major refurbishment when we were there, is a short walk away.

Because it was a Monday night not all the restaurants in walking distance were open. We selected Samara's in Corrimal Street just around the corner from the Adina. This is a family owned business serving Lebanese and Mediterranean food and by the number of recent Best Restaurant awards displayed is obviously very popular with the locals. One word of warning the meals are large, well our Chicken Parmigiana was. Very nice too!

Room Tip: If you staying longer than one night we would suggest a one bedroom apartment
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lordsnz,

Our central location in the Wollongong CBD places us in walking distance of some of Wollongong’s best restaurants and shopping precincts.

Samara’s is one of my favourite eateries in Wollongong too, I am so happy you were able to experience their food and service.
A tip for next time… Adina offers a room service delivery with Samaras, so you can enjoy their delicious food in the comfort of your Adina Apartment, perfect after a long day in the office or after exploring Wollongong!

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Toga Hotels in the near future.